Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a very literal sense, these images fit the "Game" description, "images where the focus is on the game, the box, and/or unaltered components."

but I think of them as "Creative".

Does the Creative description,"images of the game that contain creative elements such as modified components or fun situations" need to be altered in order to clarify this ?

I have an incomplete thought about words like "creative focus" or viewpoint.

edited to add this suggested modification to the mouse-over descriptions:

GAME: straightforward mages where the focus is on the game, the box, and/or unaltered components.

CREATIVE: images of the game that contain creative elements such as: non-standard framing/focus/exposure; or custom/modified components (includes computer screen shots); or interesting situations; or custom editing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would guess that if someone submitted one of the above artistic shots of components, the intent was not to catalog the components, but to upload a nice picture. That would fall into creative for me. There probably also exist plenty of other standard catalog style shots of component if there are people uploading creative shots of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so we agree those are creative. The question I'm raising is, does the current definition provide sufficient guidance for someone who is unfamiliar with the nuance to conclude the same thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
OK, so we agree those are creative. The question I'm raising is, does the current definition provide sufficient guidance for someone who is unfamiliar with the nuance to conclude the same thing?

Not sure, but I don't think it's particularly important. As long as there aren't images of altered components showing up in the Game category, the primary function of the split is being addressed. I'm happy to let the tyranny of the masses decide the fates of these grey-area images.

In extreme cases of miscategorization, an admin can easily reassign the pic.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
All I know is peoples cats are not people games or creative. They are cats and do not belong on a gaming sight, unless the game is 'Shoot the Cat' or 'Feed the Cat to the Dog' or 'Run over the Cat' or 'Drown the Cats in a Sack'. I could go on for days with those in any case this sight is for gaming and people gaming NOT CATS.

Keep your cat pictures in your personal gallery or on a cat/ pet sight.

Delete the submitted cat pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
TVis wrote:

Not sure, but I don't think it's particularly important. As long as there aren't images of altered components showing up in the Game category, the primary function of the split is being addressed. I'm happy to let the tyranny of the masses decide the fates of these grey-area images.

In extreme cases of miscategorization, an admin can easily reassign the pic.

-MMM

I think that's part of the problem.

Right now, 'Game' doesn't seem very...clear. If I'd come across modded game components in regular play I'd probably have filed it under 'game' rather than 'creative'. To me 'creative' means a fancy artistic shot, and 'game' just means a shot of the game being used, or game components.

Maybe just renaming the 'Game' category to 'stock game' would make this distinction more clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Maybe just renaming the 'Game' category to 'stock game' would make this distinction more clear.
Ummm, no. The two examples I posted are completly standard game components. My assessment is that the framing and manner of assembly in the images make them instead creative. Yet the mouse-over guidance for creative may be incomplete about suggesting they belong there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a suggestion to show what I've been thinking for the mouse-over descriptions

GAME: straightforward mages where the focus is on the game, the box, and/or unaltered components.

CREATIVE: images of the game that contain creative elements such as: non-standard framing/focus/exposure; or suctom/modified components (includes computer screen shots); or interesting situations; or custom editing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse McGatha
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, these are not "creative" images. They are attractively-presented shots of game components. I would rather all "game" category pictures be attractively presented.

Just because a photograph is taken with a certain amount of artistic style does not mean it belongs in the "creative" category.

I would rather see images of altered components, funny situations, any picture with a speech bubble, and, yes, funny pictures of cats all appear in the "creative" gallery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The complaint in the past has been that "art" shots create clutter, in competition with "journalistic" research purposes. Here are two more advanced examples of strictly standard components (thus might be interpreted as "game") yet the audience is not viewers seeking general information -- because of the component situations.

whether or not you and I draw the line in the same place, this is why I think better descriptions are important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know if this is the right place to post or not, but I also think that all screen shots should be "creative", as they are not actual components to a game and, as is explicitly stated, customized components are "creative".

I've run into a lot of these, and I fear that "game" will end up with 90% of all images, which defeats the purpose, when a lot of the junk stuff (plain ol' customized or computer versions of games) AND truly creative stuff could be shuffled off to the "creative" group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems to be supported in an admin thread. I've modfied my top message.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Randy Cox wrote:
I've run into a lot of these, and I fear that "game" will end up with 90% of all images, which defeats the purpose, when a lot of the junk stuff (plain ol' customized or computer versions of games) AND truly creative stuff could be shuffled off to the "creative" group.

I just modded over a dozen "buckets" (what is a bucket?), and I would say I put more than 95% in the "game" category. However, I think that's because most games have just a few images and they are all game images, while there are a small number of popular games with dozens of images including a lot of people and "creative" and just plain crap.

I think the current bucket arrangement is misguided. When someone is doing gallery mods, they should see all the images for a single game at once, and then divide them up. If a game has fewer than 10 images, there's no need to divide them up at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, it depends on whether or not the artistic shot shows the components in a clear and meaningful way. The picture below does:

The next picture does not. The overhead view means that you can't really see what the components (look like they might be pawns) are:

This last image doesn't either. It's too dark to get a good view of the components and is more of an atmosphere shot:

So, the top image would be "game" while the other two would be "creative".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty567 wrote:
So, the top image would be "game" while the other two would be "creative".
You resolved this based on what you know. How does someone less familiar work it out? What will they read when looking for help on the page.

I taking the position that the current mouse-over guidance needs some adjustment (and I've offered an alternative selection). As written now, I think someone could conclude these fit "game" just because no components are altered. I think that would be incorrect, and I think better wording could prevent it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.