Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Hill
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I was thinking it might be fun to play a murder mystery game.

Something with heavy deduction. Like Clue but more interesting and for adults (not that clue has any sort of "heavy" deduction).

I have been looking into the Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper series. There are five of them. Which one is the most interesting? Based on ratings I think it would have to be Jack the Ripper, but I don't want to put too much stock in the ratings. Anyone played all of them and have a preference?

I also think Kill Doctor Lucky looks like fun and our group could get into it.

What about Save Doctor Lucky?

Re-playability is also very important to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mystery Rummy is a fantastic game --- but it is not a deduction game at all.

Kill Doctor Lucky is fun with the right group but can drag, especially with too many players. (I'd say 3-4 players is best.) It is not a deduction game, either.

If you want a deduction game in the Clue vein, check out Sleuth, Mystery of the Abbey and Alibi.

Also, along the suspense/thriller vein (but not deduction) -- Shadows Over Camelot, Arkham Horror (4+ hours), Lord of the Rings.

-TR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with pretty much everything Mr. D said. Mystery at the Abbey looks like it will be right up your alley.
I'd definitely recommend trying to get some of the Mystery Rummy games to play, but I wish you the best of luck in doing so, as many of them are OOP.

Luck!

Sean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hill
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
How simalar is the Mystery Rummy series to Fury of Dracula? As far as game play goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Aside from the gothic-horror theme and the fact that both games use cards, there's virtually zero similarity.

While not usually so much for the 'mystery' (in game terms), you may find "Betrayal at House on the Hill" to hit the right spots for 'suspense' and 'thriller'.

If you want heavy deduction, you want "Black Vienna".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An evening of Kill Doctor Lucky, and you'll want to hang yourself....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugblad wrote:
An evening of Kill Doctor Lucky, and you'll want to hang yourself....

I too did not find Kill Dr. Lucky to be that entertaining, *but* I played the original Cheapass version, and I heard there are some rules tweaks (they added something called "spite tokens") in the newer versions that make the game play better.

I'll second the recommendation for Betrayal, *but*: 1. It's out of print and might be hard to find and 2. You will definitely want to download and print the errata from BGG, as well as make sure that at least one player is very familiar with the rules (maybe setting it up and playing a few turns solo) to avoid the first game being a frustrating experience. I was lucky enough to have a friend be very familiar with it and our games rarely take over 90 minutes, and are sometimes under an hour.

Umm, or buy two copies of Mr. Jack and switch off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Mystery of the Abbey

Research this game. It might fit the bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Leonhard
United States
Aldie
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Get 3 decks of cards and print out Deduce or Die!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Hill
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
andsoerinsaid wrote:
Get 3 decks of cards and print out Deduce or Die!

That looks really cool, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jay
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slightly different vein, but you might get a kick out of Scotland Yard. One player is the nefarious Mr. X, who moves secretly around the board, while the others attempt to outmaneuver him (or her).

If you enjoy the hidden movement + deduction element but would prefer it with some added horror-related chrome, you could always check out Fury of Dracula (second edition).

Zendo is a very methodical deduction game (that some suggest could be used to teach the scientific method). It is OOP, but can be played with IceHouse pieces (or even with household objects).

Finally, I've heard that Sid Sackson's Sleuth is about as meaty a deduction game as anyone would want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shepherd
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually really like (original) Kill Doctor Lucky, with the right crowd. But it's not a deduction game at all.

Alibi is great; my friend who had it moved away and I wish he hadn't, or that he'd left it behind.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is OOP. Mall of Horror, though, sound like it might scratch the "suspense/thriller" itch, but there's not really any deduction elements to it either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Smitskamp
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Joseph Hill wrote:
I was thinking it might be fun to play a murder mystery game.

Something with heavy deduction. Like Clue but more interesting and for adults (not that clue has any sort of "heavy" deduction).

Mystery of the Abbey IS clue made interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.