Subject: Gettysburg rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I want to learn more about Gettysburg, and along that line I would love to get a big game about Gettysburg. Complexity and detail isn't really an issue, I'd just like a game that gives the best "feel." Unfortunately I've never had any interest in the Civil War before, so this is one of the few areas of board games I've never even looked at games. Thank you for the step in the right direction!

For the curious: I was discussing a trip to Gettysburg I took last year and remembered how incredibly fun and interesting it was, so I thought it would be fun to dive deeper into the subject, and one aspect of that diving is board games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Terrible Swift Sword

Thunder at the Crossroads (second edition)

Three Days of Gettysburg (third edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Williams
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that out of the three games Bill listed, only 3 Days of Gettysburg is still in print. It is a descendant if Terrible Swift Sword and can be had for a reasonable price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played it yet, but I can say that 3 Days looks awful sweet on the table. There was a game of it going at my (ex)FLGS for quite some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see many traditional wargames on your lists of owned and played games. The three games suggested above may indeed be the definitive games on the subject for wargamers, but they also might be a bit overwhelming in terms of size and complexity for someone who isn't accustomed to that type of game.

Unfortunately, the lower complexity Gettysburg games (Gettsyburg 125th Anniversary Edition, Lee's Greatest Gamble, Harvest of Death, Badges of Courage, etc.) aren't rated as highly or as realistic.

If we knew the amount of time investment you're willing to invest to learn and play the game, it might be easier to match you up with the right game. Again- the above 3 suggestions are the more accurate games out there, but expect to spend dozens to hundreds of hours just to play the game (let alone learn the rules).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the GMT web site Three Days of Gettysburg is out of stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the lighter weight games on Gettysburg, I'd recommend:

Yankees & Rebels A nice Euro-style game with 2 pages of rules. Each stand is a division. Activation is by drawing corps or army chits, then dicing to see how many stands can activate. I've only played the 1st day as the Union so far, but it definitely felt like Gettysburg. Those big Confederate divisions are brutal, and I was forced to fall back time and time again to the next defensive point. A bonus is that this game has units for other battles and a blank map on the reverse. I think of it as Battle Cry with a little better mechanics and history.

War of the States: Gettysburg, 1863 Again, a division level game, but with more wargaming like mechanics and area movement. The thing I like about this game is the victory conditions: you have to cause 25+ step losses while taking < 15 steps yourself. So, you can't afford to stand and trade fire on an even basis; you have to try to maneuver to gain flanks. It is possible to shrug off 1-2 step losses per combat by falling back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
duckweed wrote:
I don't see many traditional wargames on your lists of owned and played games. The three games suggested above may indeed be the definitive games on the subject for wargamers, but they also might be a bit overwhelming in terms of size and complexity for someone who isn't accustomed to that type of game.

Rules really aren't a problem, I play more complex games but I solo them on vassal, so I don't actually rate or "own" them.

Thanks for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Thomas
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the best way to get a "feel" for the American Civil War (or indeed any period in history) is 1:1 wargaming. Or as I call it, reenacting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gettysburg: Badges of Courage has a 7.3 something rating --- even if it is rated a bit lower. Doesn't seem that bad.

Why is it rated so low--other than realistic concerns, I guess. I've read the reviews--seems interesting to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Highwood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Komrade115 wrote:
I find the best way to get a "feel" for the American Civil War (or indeed any period in history) is 1:1 wargaming. Or as I call it, reenacting

It works best with live ammunition, I'm told.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Thomas
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HMS_Resolution wrote:
Komrade115 wrote:

It works best with live ammunition, I'm told.

That would solve the problem of those stupid f---ers who never take hits sure enough...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
BagpipeDan wrote:

Rules really aren't a problem, I play more complex games but I solo them on vassal, so I don't actually rate or "own" them.

Thanks for the help.

That sounds rather unethical and might even be considered theft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Williams
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sherron wrote:
According to the GMT web site Three Days of Gettysburg is out of stock.

It may be out of stock at the publisher, but it still available:

Wargame Depot has it for $43.43 - http://wargamedepot.com/catalog/

Bunker Hill Games has it for $55.00 - http://www.bunkerhillgames.com/

Boards & Bits has it for $35.75 - http://www.boardsandbits.com/

and NobleKnight Games has it for $47.95- http://www.nobleknight.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:
That sounds rather unethical and might even be considered theft.

If it makes you feel better, my name will be the first* on the preorder list if they ever reprint Breakout:Normandy or Caeser at Alesia**

*not literally
**yes, I know GMT has a new one or something... not the same...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
It is not about me - you just might want to refrain from saying such things

Then again, it is about me and other gamers - if you don't buy these games because you can 'own' them using Living Rules and Vassal Modules, the game company does not get the money, and we all lose.

BTW, I have an extra Caesar Alesia available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Russ
United States
Marshall
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little late to the party, but wanted to toss Summer Storm: The Battle of Gettysburg in there.

Also, I wanted to note that although 3 Days to Gettysburg is out of print, we still have a few copies in stock.

Cheers,
Jason
www.wargamedepot.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
badge of courage/when my friend and i played a few times, it seemed that the south could line up their artillary and blows holes in the union line which didn't happen in real life even tho they tried. so we think it needs fixing. also no defensive fire doesn't help either except infantry and cavalry can't fire on the turn it moves adjacent to the enemy. both sides get to attack during melee. but in spite of its flaws, it was fun to play and gives a historical feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange to see a thread about Gettysburg and Brian Morris (mrbeankc) no where to be seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Lovegrove
Wales
flag msg tools
It has to be Terrible Swift Sword, if you can get hold of it.

Complex? Yes.
Huge? Yes.
The best recreation of the key events in a playable way (only a prisoner/somebody on a desert island/maniac would introduce the extra rules, such as horse holders)? Yes.

If you're going to re-fight a big battle, play a big game that you can sink your teeth into. You might think differently, of course, but I always prefer monster games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
'across 5 aprils' by victory games has a very good gettysburg game + 4 other battles if you can find a copy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.