BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Board Gaming with Amy NEW WEBSITE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: amy [+] [View All]
amy blynn
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hi ya'll - the infamous Amy Bouska aka KVEW TV's GAMING DITZ here! Informing all gamers of the new element on my TV stations website I was able to create based on the huge response gamers like you gave my first couple gaming pieces.

check it out:
http://bsbh.kvewtv.com

click on the GAMER GEEKS category in the top toolbar.

BGG is featured again in the "Transamerica" clip, and each week we'll be featuring a new game. Gamers from my area can attend Monday Game Night at Rosy's in Richland, where winner takes home the game!

Have your own gaming group? Upload your video to our site and I will get it posted in the gaming category. From the link above, you'll see an "UPLOAD VIDEO" link in the lower left corner of the page.

Email me with any ideas or games you'd like to see featured!

And thanks for all of the amazing feedback, hopefully I am doing the hobby more good than bad!

Amy
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great stuff! I like your enthusiasm and mainstream viewpoint on what is, for the moment, an underexposed pastime. After watching the piece on wargames, I gotta say you even opened up my mind a little to the world of the grognard. That can only be good for the hobby.

I think this screen capture says alot about breaking stereotypes (nice clean nails!) and just focusing in closely on the interesting facets of our hobbies.

Great Job Amy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Allright! Gotta check this out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Got two game tables and a microphone
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried it, keeps asking to allow ActiveX to run, then won't play the vid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Rizzo
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, these are great!

If you're ever in Los Angeles, I'd love to set up a game night for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Lyons
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh... the wargaming video is full of WIN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing this post I found an earlier thread from December where Amy gets taken to task on the differences between miniatures and wargaming.

Heheh.

I think its funny and sort of telling about this hobby that it took a TV reporter like Amy Bouska to even get me interested in the topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done Amy, this is excellent news. Your professionalism shines out.

I think your first introduction to modern games was, well, tricky. I'd have shown you the obvious 'gateway' games, Carcassonne, Niagara, Ticket To Ride, Lost Cities, and yes Transamerica, and then slightly more complex games like Settlers. Not complicated, just a more choices, more decisions bringing more complexity.

I think you could follow the guidance in geeklists like this:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/5016

and these:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist_controller.php?action=...

A good topic to start with is why there are so many excellent modern games, but the general public knows only a few games, and don't play games very often. You could compare some of the games above with the traditional fare and highlight the benefits.

In another slot, you might try to explain the difference between light and heavy games, what gamers get from heavier games, and what family gamers might learn from stretching their wings. You'd be surprised at how easy kids grasp the concepts and relative values in heavier games.

Please keep posting on BGG, Amy. I for one would really like to hear your views and experiences. If you feel you have time, then added your stats to Games Played or your Comments would be really interesting. If we can see what you have played, what you liked or disliked, then we can offer constructive suggestions.

Cheers,
jon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

Somebody usally posts some sort of short session report on our guild page after the Rosy's nights in case anybody wants to follow how things go for the next month or so with the Game Giveaways.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/view/6

PS
Amy I gave you a GG toward an avatar. I think at this point you deserve one girl. =-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The navigation on that site is pretty much broken for Firefox (at least on OS X). This is the link to the video category she's talking about, so you can at least click on the video titles from here.

http://bsbh.kvewtv.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=vie...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Severino
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff Amy! It's refreshing to see a normal person's view of the boardgaming and miniature wargaming hobbies. Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Andelloux
United States
Nantucket
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hipster Eye of Providence says: I was an all seeing disembodied eye before Peter Jackson made it cool.
badge
Don't move, I've lost my contact lens!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help being a grognard...
I hate to be one to bellyache, but "grognard" isn't pronounced "grog-nard" but rather "gruh-nyar". It's french, and translates loosely as "bellyacher" or "one who bitches and moans". The literal translation is "grumbler" but with a pejorative ovetone. See the accompanying definition: http://french.about.com/od/vocabulary/g/grogner.htm. If you know us, you know that we take pride in grumbling about every little detail in those sexy 250 page hardbound rules books.

It was the one distraction from an otherwise cute overview of a very complex hobby. Great job overall!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Every time I've ever heard it used over the years, it was grog-nard. Often, when a word jumps to another language, it changes pronunciation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Andelloux
United States
Nantucket
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hipster Eye of Providence says: I was an all seeing disembodied eye before Peter Jackson made it cool.
badge
Don't move, I've lost my contact lens!
mbmbmbmbmb
re grognard
Two points:

1. "Yeah, I'd like 6,000 chicken fajitas, please?" Peter Griffin, sound normal to you?

2. Grog is a rum/beer drink, and nards are something that the wolfman has. Which of these applies to wargamers?

peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Very nicely done - quick and to the point... have some more !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
mythirdi09 wrote:
I hate to be one to bellyache, but "grognard" isn't pronounced "grog-nard" but rather "gruh-nyar". It's french, and translates loosely as "bellyacher" or "one who bitches and moans". The literal translation is "grumbler" but with a pejorative ovetone. See the accompanying definition: http://french.about.com/od/vocabulary/g/grogner.htm. If you know us, you know that we take pride in grumbling about every little detail in those sexy 250 page hardbound rules books.

I have known many of you over the years, and almost everyone of you called yourselves "grog-nards". The English word "grognard" may be based on the French word "grognard", but it has pretty clearly acquired not only a different specific meaning (the French has nothing to do with wargames per se, and plenty of English grog-nards do not grumble but simply enjoy playing wargames), but also a different pronunciation. There are a zillion similar examples of words from one language being adopted by another, usually with a different connotation in meaning and usually with a change in pronunciation, and the fajita example notwithstanding, you probably commit the same "offense" in almost every nontrivial sentence you utter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Cale
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yog-Sothoth knows the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the gate. Yog-Sothoth is the key and guardian of the gate. Past, present, future, all are one in Yog-Sothoth. He knows where the Old Ones broke through of old, and where They shall break through again.
mbmbmb
mythirdi09 wrote:

2. Grog is a rum/beer drink, and nards are something that the wolfman has.

This comment is awesome! All I could picture was that bad movie (that I can't remember the name of btw) with one kid shouting "kick him in the nards!".

Good job Amy, especially love the 5 stages of boardgaming. I've seen some people painfully pass through those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheEbonyTurtle wrote:
All I could picture was that bad movie (that I can't remember the name of btw) with one kid shouting "kick him in the nards!".
Monster Squad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Brooks
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day..."
badge
Gnome dance is best dance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding! I wish local MA reporters would open up and have some reports on gaming. There's a growing community of gamers and it's nice to see that it might grow more thanks to your stories and reviews. I second what one of the posters above me said about a piece on gateway games. The wargame one was good, as was the Transamerica review (though I would've liked that a smidge longer and more informative), but I think the gateway games like Ticket to Ride will show that while hobby games may look intimidating, many are quite accessable and fun!

Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed this Amy. Thanks for calling it to our collective attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Williams
Australia
Googong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep getting a 403 Forbidden error after clicking on the gamer geeks...soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip C. Orbanes
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Great job, Amy.

I think you have a nice way of presenting games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell how happy it makes me to see a woman telling others about Euro games!! GO AMY!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. I'd love you see an episode with a designer interview! It would be like entertainment tonight for for the rest of us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Mease19 wrote:
Excellent. I'd love you see an episode with a designer interview! It would be like entertainment tonight for for the rest of us!
robot "ET"!?! Now, there's a blatant "false advertising" titled program if ever you 'saw' any! Just WHAT "Entertainment" for "Tonight" do they EVAH 'cover'? Why don't they just call that as "Fluff Stuff Puff Piece Showbiz `nuff!", as it certainly ain'ts much MORE than such! I would certainly be hoping that our Amy "dear" HERE, would rise ABOVE that sort of "patronizing pablum", and REPORT in a more respectable demeanor for anything, while I also wish her the very BEST on whatever it is that she does accomplish!
thumbsupmeeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.