Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Ramsden
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am just in the process of moving to Leamington Spa. Any help putting me in touch with local groups with space for a new member would be much appreciated. Once I have sorted out the move I will be happy to host but right now I am living out of a suitcase...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barker
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Steve,
For board games check out board silly (http://groups.msn.com/BoardSilly/)
Every Monday Thursday at the Newbold Comyn Arms.
I haven't been along for far too long now but I hear they are still playing every week.

If you like Magic the Gathering then they play that on Tuesday and Friday evenings up at Bishop Games in Coventry (a fantastic games store). Check out the twincast forums too (www.mtgtwincast.co.uk).

Hope that helps,
Gary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Williams
United Kingdom
Fareham
Hants
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I visited the group when I was in Warwick for work last year. They are a friendly bunch and some good games were played. Winning the World Cup game as someone who has virtually no interest in football was amusing to me.

Having Guiness on tap made the evening that much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We are legion! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ramsden
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks All

Should have finished moving house next week so will turn up at the Nebold Comyn on Monday!

Cheers
Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barker
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know its an old thread, but if people are still looking to play games in the area then I thought it best to add an update!

See http://groups.google.com/group/boardsillygamesclub
Currently meeting every Monday night in the Jug and Jester function room (Through the door down past the pool table).

Thursdays at Newbold Comyn Arms (thanks for the update John)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hartnup
United Kingdom
Warwick
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the same spirit as Gary's previous posting - we currently meet at the Newbold Comyn Arms on Thursdays, and we've started maintaining a homepage at http://boardsillyleam.blogspot.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gwynne
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Lothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw your poster up in my shop (Avon Toys) today and thought I must pop along and visit you one evening - the wife is not excited by playing games and the kids need to do their homework.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barker
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
In which case thank you very much for letting us put up the poster. Hopefully we can gain a few extra players (we normally have 5 - 10 players) and you can gain a few board game sales I did post on your facebook wall asking if you can get hold of some board games for us if you want to get someone to look into it. Hopefully the funds can stretch to having such easy access to games locally!

What are the plans for the top floor? I heard mention of gaming tables?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gwynne
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Lothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy to get these and any other games for you. We always offer 10% discount off our normal prices to any local games clubs (local being defined as any club willing to travel to visit us!).

There are indeed going to be games tables upstairs - just working on getting some chairs so people can also sit down and some electricity for lighting so they can see what they are doing. This should be sorted in the next couple of months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found this thread. Being a returner to wargames I am looking for players. I live in Kenilworth. I am particularly interested in ASL.

I have been attending the Warwick Gaming Club, but this is mainly RPGs. I know there is a club that meets in Whitnash, but it looks miniatures oriented (but I could be wrong having never been there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barker
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
CletePurcel wrote:
I just found this thread. Being a returner to wargames I am looking for players. I live in Kenilworth. I am particularly interested in ASL.

I have been attending the Warwick Gaming Club, but this is mainly RPGs. I know there is a club that meets in Whitnash, but it looks miniatures oriented (but I could be wrong having never been there).

The Whitnash club play a mixture of stuff, but mainly wargames (maybe some RPGs). I think it is predominantly miniatures as you say (I suspect all war games clubs are 6, 10 or 15mm miniature based).

Leamington's Boardsilly club is mainly euro style board games and card games. I do keep meaning to give some of our members a game of Memoir '44, but that's about as wargamey as we get. I wouldn't let that put you off turning up one Thursday for a beer and a chat.

http://boardsillyleam.blogspot.com/2011/10/last-nights-gamin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that. I have been meaning to come to Board Silly. I have started to play some Euro games (Carcassonne and La Citta with my wife). So I may well turn up soon.

I don't drive so getting back to Kenilworth is a slight pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barker
United Kingdom
Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hmm, not driving is a pain.
I don't think we already have anyone coming from Kenilworth who could offer a lift. There are a couple of people come down from Coventry though so if its not way out of the way they might be persuaded. And if you're anywhere near the University bus route they must run regular and late in term time at least?

We also share some members from a games club in Coventry if that's easier, meeting on a Monday evening in The Olde Windmill on Spon Street. Take a look at http://www.meetup.com/The-Coventry-Gamers-Group/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are uni buses, but they don't go through Kenilworth any more. I usually get taxis (such as tonight as I am going to the Warwick club) but they are expensive. There is one local Cov-Leam bus, but it is very unreliable.

Coventry Gamers I have a similar problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Notrevealing
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Mark. Depending on your fitness levels you could try cycling? It's not an un-doable journey.

I have been in Leamington for many months now but only just found out about this club today when I was in Avon Toys. I imagine I shall be attending most weeks from now on. It's less than 2 miles cycle ride from my home (via no main roads) so it's pretty convenient for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tomlinson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can cycle, but I don't like cycling late at night. Plus my bikes are both worth in excess of £1000 each so they are not the sort I just leave outside a pub.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hartnup
United Kingdom
Warwick
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of all the pubs in Leamington, the Newbold Comyn Arms is one I'd be happiest leaving a bike outside (and I've done so several times). It doesn't get passing foot-traffic, and the clientèle aren't the types who'd be after nicking/trashing a bike.

However, I wouldn't particularly fancy cycling to Kenilworth in the dark.

During a blissful couple of years when I didn't own a car, one of my policies was that (with all the money saved) I could take a taxi whenever I liked.

The last bus from Leamington to Kenilworth appears to be 23:49. We're always done in time for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.