Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just a raw untested idea.

Since there is no space exploration, colonisation and colony development, why not start the game when everybody's empire is built up.

The few first turns at the begginning of the game generally consist in putting your hands on the planets around you. So you take a guy, land it on a planet, he say to the people "This planet is ours". Then you retake the guy and land it on another planet to give the same message.

All this time used to take planets until you reach the frontier of your opponents simply waste time. It neither strategic, neither exciting and allow people to score many points with the imperial card by that time.

So my solution would be that everybody must start the game with the control of their neaby system so that each empire can touch each other at the beginning of the game or almost touch each other.

To implement this, it varies dramatically according to the number of players. For a 6 player map, I would say you get all the system adjacent to your home planet giving you control over 3 additional hex. In a 4 player game setup, you would gain 4 hex this way. For a 3 player game, I would make each home world 1 hex closer to mecatol rex and you get all the 6 hex around your home system.

Each new planet would contain 1 ground force unit and each faction would get some extra-ship to defend these colonies. I don't know exactly how much, but probably a combination of destroyers and cruisers equal to the number of hex you get. For example:

6 player -> 3 hex -> 1 Cruiser + 2 Destroyer
4 player -> 4 hex -> 2 Cruiser + 2 Destroyer
3 player -> 6 hex -> 3 Cruiser + 3 Destroyer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe there's some kind of accelerated startup mentioned in the rules, somewhat along these lines. I personally am not a fan of it because I think there's some subtle maneuvering in where you distribute your forces, and some races' main advantages have to do with being able to start quickly. Also, someone should get to take warfare early and get a faster start than normal. But, they should pay for it by having sacrificed their turn of getting to choose first (or third, after Imperial and Initiative, under the standard rules) to do it. Now, I also understand that TI3 is a game that changes dramatically based on groups' play styles, so I don't mean to dismiss the idea. If it works for you, then do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Pelham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
I believe there's some kind of accelerated startup mentioned in the rules, somewhat along these lines....

The official variant is called "simulated early turns" and is outlined in the shattered empire expansion rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Klingonsmith
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Why, why, why do so many people feel the need to modify a game that's been through 3 editions and tested heavily. The only thing I could think of to fix is the ISC, and they give you two options to replace it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
HeroOfRagnarok wrote:
Why, why, why do so many people feel the need to modify a game that's been through 3 editions and tested heavily. The only thing I could think of to fix is the ISC, and they give you two options to replace it.

Because it is fun?

Look at Axis and Allies. There are tons of unofficial varient and expansions for it. A&A provides the basic framework that other can expand upon. The same thing happens with TI. It is such a flexible ruleset that it can be easily modified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.