Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This really made me laugh. Hilarious.

The first time my wife and I went to her parents' house after we married, her brothers and sister came over and we all played Pictionary. During the game I got real excited and swung my arms out. Unfortunately, I didn't realize my (new) mother-in-law was as close to me as she was, and I smacked her right in the face! Talk about embarrassing!

Yes, she did forgive me. I have awesome parents-in-law.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't there a GeekList not long ago dealing with games not to play with your future in-laws?? This one needs to be on that list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Cranium also has a similar card for "conception".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
The word I had to act out...."missionary." I'll let you fill in the blanks with the obvious actions, but i went as far as getting on all fours with my "back" to my team and looking back at them giving them the "no, no, no" finger.

The embarassing part must be that you did not know the correct positions. If you were on 'all fours' that is doggy style, not missionary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Moore
United States
Duncan Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quentin1 wrote:
Quote:
The word I had to act out...."missionary." I'll let you fill in the blanks with the obvious actions, but i went as far as getting on all fours with my "back" to my team and looking back at them giving them the "no, no, no" finger.

The embarassing part must be that you did not know the correct positions. If you were on 'all fours' that must be doggy, not missionary.

No, he had it right. See, native populations would have lots of doggy-style sex, and the Christian missionaries disapproved. They instructed "the savages" to have sex the proper way - with the man on top of the woman. Hence that type of sex is now known as the "missionary position." Ta-da!
He was just acting out the origin of the term (giving the no, no, no finger at the doggy-style position).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Self Appointed Senator of Good Ideas
Other-South Pacific
Coming Soon
Castle GreySkull
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
No, he had it right. See, native populations would have lots of doggy-style sex, and the Christian missionaries disapproved. They instructed "the savages" to have sex the proper way - with the man on top of the woman. Hence that type of sex is now known as the "missionary position." Ta-da!
He was just acting out the origin of the term (giving the no, no, no finger at the doggy-style position).

Oh, I see!! So the embarassing part was how the native populations, after being shown the 'right' way by the missionaries were embarassed that they had been doing it wrong all along?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really a "gaming" story, but along similar lines..

One night when I was in highschool, we were playing "Spoons"

For those unfamilliar, spoons is a card game. For however many players there are, one less that amount of spoons (5 people, therefore 4 spoons).

The dealer deals out four cards to everyone, and places the deck on the table. He draws one card from the deck, and has to discard one card (always keeping with four cards). He then passes his discard to the person on his left. That person either keeps the card (and discards one other of his four) or passes it along.

The object is that the first person to get a four of a kind yells SPOONS!! and then everyone lunges for a spoon. The person left without a spoon is out of the game, and another spoon is removed from the table (sort of like musical chairs). The winner is the person left at the end who gets the final spoon.

Now these games of Spoons turn from "a friendly game" to "extremely viscious" in about two games. We've had tug-a-wars, people rolling on the floor, and even tumbling over sofas trying to wrestle the spoon from someone elses grasp.

Well this one game, it was our first game of the night, and things usually start off pretty respectible. There were four of us playing and on the first hand, someone yells spoons, as me and my friend lunge for a spoon, our other friend actually turns and PUNCHES my friend's sister in the face. She's so stunned, that he grabs a spoons. The three of us sit there each with a spoon in our hands, big grins that we managed to get a spoon, and then look over to my friend's sister who's holding her nose and saying "owwww."

She wasn't really hurt, it was more of a shock, but many it was funny as heck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Boggle with my wife and parents.......right down the middle of the cubes are the letters

FblankAblankRblankT

Dutifully I think of my saintly mother, ignore this obvious word and keep going.

Needless to say, at the stage where we claim words she starts with FART. A slightly shocked pause from the rest of us followed by complaints that we'd all seen the word but hadn't written it down cos it was rude. She refused of course to allow us the point.

Not sure if this was embarrassing to her or me, but it was funny!

Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheKinginYellow wrote:
quentin1 wrote:
Quote:

The embarassing part must be that you did not know the correct positions. If you were on 'all fours' that must be doggy, not missionary.

Although a very popular story, that makes perfect sense, it seems to be wrong!
The origin of the term "missionary position" is from the Kinsey report. Kinsey references the story about the savages, from another scientific work (...Sexual life of savages... Malinowski 1929) only he got some facts wrong or remebered incorectly, as the Malinowsky work does not support it. So Kinsey made up an entirely new concept, backed up with an incorrect reference, and it has become legend!
It is similar to the wellknown ancient chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times!" , in that no such ancient chinese curse exists. This one seems to be a western invention, although it´s origins are not clear.

EDIT: I studied this a bit a while ago as part of some anthropology courses... I think it´s interesting how human beings so readily adopt a "good story", so long as it makes sense, and perhaps even more interesting in regards to what we believe to be "facts" or "the truth"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheKinginYellow wrote:
See, native populations would have lots of doggy-style sex, and the Christian missionaries disapproved. They instructed "the savages" to have sex the proper way - with the man on top of the woman.

Great story! Sometimes people don't realize how much you can learn on the BGG (people such as my fiancee, for instance). From now on I will use the term native-style or possible savage-style. I dig it! (my fiancee will be very impressed, I'm sure)

jtspecial wrote:
I think it´s interesting how human beings so readily adopt a "good story", so long as it makes sense, and perhaps even more interesting in regards to what we believe to be "facts" or "the truth"...

Dude. Don't kill my buzz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My 8 year old once defeated me in a game of ASL:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1767469#1767469

And that was not even my most embarassing gaming story. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think it´s interesting how human beings so readily adopt a "good story", so long as it makes sense...

It doesn't even have to make sense. See: Religion.

Oh my gosh, he went there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Remus10125 wrote:
The things one will do to go 3 spaces.

The things indeed. Bravo, brave gamer. Bravo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Godspeed the Punchline
United States
San Joser
California
flag msg tools
Skadar wrote:
Quote:
I think it´s interesting how human beings so readily adopt a "good story", so long as it makes sense...

AHAHA That is funny because you are insulting people by comparing their deeply held beliefs with a simple sentence furthermore you are the first person on the internet to ever do so and should be praised for your amazing cleverness you win the thread please everyone give this guy all of your geekgold for his amazing originality and thoughful contribution OMFG that is the funniest thing I have ever read in all my life you are just amazing ahahahahaha oh so funny my sides are going to split open and my organs will no doubt fall across the floor in a warm goo but it was worth it to read your amazingly original and relevant post good work sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
Orthodork wrote:
Skadar wrote:
Quote:

AHAHA That is funny because you are insulting people by comparing their deeply held beliefs with a simple sentence furthermore you are the first person on the internet to ever do so and should be praised for your amazing cleverness you win the thread please everyone give this guy all of your geekgold for his amazing originality and thoughful contribution OMFG that is the funniest thing I have ever read in all my life you are just amazing ahahahahaha oh so funny my sides are going to split open and my organs will no doubt fall across the floor in a warm goo but it was worth it to read your amazingly original and relevant post good work sir.

So... you are religious?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Godspeed the Punchline
United States
San Joser
California
flag msg tools
guzerat wrote:

So... you are religious?

Do you care? Does it matter on a boardgaming site? The comment I was responding to was an idiotic cheap shot, at best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
mbmbmbmbmb
Orthodork wrote:
guzerat wrote:

So... you are religious?

Do you care? Does it matter on a boardgaming site? The comment I was responding to was an idiotic cheap shot, at best.

It was meant as a rhetorical question, so no, I don't care
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheKinginYellow wrote:
quentin1 wrote:
Quote:

Yet another reason not to be a missionary - life just wouldn't be the same without doggie style. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason F.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dietevil wrote:
TheKinginYellow wrote:
quentin1 wrote:
Quote:

Yet another reason not to be a missionary - life just wouldn't be the same without doggie style. devil

Savage!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moss
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orthodork wrote:
guzerat wrote:

So... you are religious?

And instead of turning the other cheek, you get your vestments in a bunch. If it was idiotic and cheap, what does it say about you that you got so hot about it rather than letting it slide?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Godspeed the Punchline
United States
San Joser
California
flag msg tools
ChukLife wrote:

And instead of turning the other cheek, you get your vestments in a bunch. If it was idiotic and cheap, what does it say about you that you got so hot about it rather than letting it slide?

It says that I don't like idiocy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Maracle
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
OverText is such a 23rd centruy fad.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lifted from my review of Password:

My brother looks at the decoder and smiles triumphantly. “Bow” he says with a smile.

Without missing a beat, I bark as fast as I can “jangles!”. (I was thinking “Bo”).

My brother looks shocked and then dumbfounded. It turns out the answer was “arrow”. To this day, he stills takes about.

Quote from Wyll’s brother: “I don’t know what bothers me more. The fact your thought ‘Jangles’ would be an answer or the fact you thought I would give “Bo” as a clue.”.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoskins
United States
OKC
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It was Thanksgiving 2003. After dinner we broke out Time's Up!

It was early in the first round when our friend Stacy came across a name she was unfamiliar with. She'd had a couple drinks. She started motioning with her arms in a rather shocking fashion.

The Hobbit has never been the same for me. She was pantomiming "Dildo" Baggins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anye Freer
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthewjhoskins wrote:
It was Thanksgiving 2003. After dinner we broke out Time's Up!

It was early in the first round when our friend Stacy came across a name she was unfamiliar with. She'd had a couple drinks. She started motioning with her arms in a rather shocking fashion.

The Hobbit has never been the same for me. She was pantomiming "Dildo" Baggins.

I'm sure several of my most embarrassing gaming stories come from games of Times Up. I now have a personal house rule that I have to go pee before I start playing, lest I wet myself from laughing so hard.

Probably the most embarrassing one was the time I told a friend that I was a great choice in Times Up partner because I usually win (which until that time was true). Unfortunately, I was a bit drunk at the time, and I proved without a doubt that intoxicants lower your intelligence.

I will never think of Edgar Allen Poe again...only Edgar Allen Poo. 'Nuff said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamburg-Maas
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm playing Scattergories with a small group of friends in early January 2006. The roll comes up "I", and one of the categories is "Things Found In The Ocean." I flash on "Iceberg" for a moment, and then thought of something related to a current event -- the tidal wave that swept Southeast Asia a couple weeks prior.

"Indonesians."

Yeah, I caught hell for it!

'Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.