Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just curious if FFG has every committed to, or commented on, further expansions of the Twilight Imperium universe?

I heard they were retheming Dune into the TI universe, but beyond that I've heard nothing. Incidentally, does this Dune retheme have a Geek page yet? Is it slated for Q4 2008 or undated?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tuxford
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would they need to? There's the basic set, Shattered Empires expansion plus all the myriad of variants both official and unofficial.

They could release some theme packs, like the Dune idea, but is it worth the masses of money pumped into design and production to create something that plays 90% the same as what they already have? The only thing I could imagine is producing some new races but the cost of creating the new race cards and CCs mightn't make it worthwhile.

Hmmm... I percieve a gear-hound...surprise Too much is never enough! Are you telling me you have completely played out everything possible in TI3 and SE? How much free time do you have???

Enjoy the tons of stuff you've already got in TI3 and SE + variants! It's plenty in my book! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boogers wrote:
Why would they need to?

I'll never understand this ire that the notion of a expansion pack raises here on the Geek.

"Why would they need to?" Well, expansion packs should never be merely about need. Some people like the added depth that professionally written, modeled and printed elements can add to a game they already enjoy. You're right, there are a wealth of user created variants and additions floating around for this game, but not everybody enjoys printing out sloppy home fabricated tiles or objective cards.

"What should they add that isn't already there?" Well, I'm not paid by FFG to sit around and dream up cool stuff for this game. Just because I (or even you) can't think of anything immediate doesn't mean something couldn't be added that was cool or game play enhancing. Haven't you ever been impressed with an innovative idea in a game or found a concept you wouldn't have personally dreamed up? I have faith that, if FFG were to release another big box expansion, it would include a wealth of additions along that line. Half the fun is seeing what is new and how it changes the dynamics of an already enjoyable experience.

Let me ask you a question: When did options become a bad thing? You don't have to purchase an expansion, nor use every element included. Think of them as professionally created erector sets for your imagination.

To be honest, however, a few elements I would like to see FFG expand upon are the exploration mechanics and the technology trees. Perhaps racial objectives would be a nice official inclusion too, or a mechanic to approximate colony developments on worlds. The sky is the limit from my perspective.

Quote:
but is it worth the masses of money pumped into design and production to create something that plays 90% the same as what they already have?

This logical fallicy is based on the assumption any additions will make the game still play 90% the same. Also, it's not giving any credence to how experience changing a 10% shift in emphasis can be. SE did a small change with the objective cards, Puerto Rico did a small change with its expansion too. Both of these small changes gave a big change to how any single session played out.

Do I detect a neophobe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More is better. I'll continue to buy quality expansions for any game as they come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Metelo
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the game.. Still many things to play with, but I would love:
- Racial Objectives
- A few new races (no new for new colors)
- A few more WormHoles (A & B) tiles so I can create some crazy galaxies that high amounts of connections to the other side...
- Something to improve on the dreadnoughts (they still tend to be the less used units in our games). Maybe a tech earlier giving them some cool ability (like the Automated torrent for the destroyer?)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mick Weitz
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
No one in Iowa City plays wargames?
badge
Yes, I like helmets...
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick note, I believe the original poster was asking about the Twilight Imperium Universe, not just an expansion for TI3. This could include any game, and does not have to offend the delicate sensibilities of the "anti-expansion" elite...

Good Gaming~! Mick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tuxford
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to ruffle feathers guys. I was just trying to give a rationale why there wouldn't be any talk of further expansions. Please believe me guys, I would buy any well reputed expansions for any good game I own. Hey, I own both TI3 and SE as well as Warrior Knights and Crown & Glory, yet the guys I play with want nothing to do with SE and C&G until they feel 100% with TI3 base set.

Bring on the expansions FFG! More plastic and cardboard please!

My personal issue is I need to convince myself not to get depressed when I can't readily buy what I want. Very often I find I want to go on a spending spree or say I NEED a game only because I want a diversion from the versisitudes of life.

How many obssessive-compulsive game collectors do we know or have seen via the internet? Go to the Guiness Book of Records and see the photo of the guy with the world's largest game collection (Candyland? Scoobie Doo?)yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tuxford
Australia
Wollongong
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metelo wrote:
Love the game.. Still many things to play with, but I would love:
- Racial Objectives
- A few new races (no new for new colors)
- A few more WormHoles (A & B) tiles so I can create some crazy galaxies that high amounts of connections to the other side...
- Something to improve on the dreadnoughts (they still tend to be the less used units in our games). Maybe a tech earlier giving them some cool ability (like the Automated torrent for the destroyer?)...

Bring it on!!!!laugh I couldn't agree more about the dreadnoughts. They are so slow and you have to wait for Type IV drives to increase mobility. To me, that is the main issue. I don't think they need to be fire-powered much more than they are. Perhaps an extra troop slot somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Vawter
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a simple house rule for Dreads. Undamaged dreads get two shots, while damaged ones get 1 shot. This changed the game immensely for the better as you now have fleets being lead by dreads instead of cruisers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Metelo
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PerfectStorm wrote:
We have a simple house rule for Dreads. Undamaged dreads get two shots, while damaged ones get 1 shot. This changed the game immensely for the better as you now have fleets being lead by dreads instead of cruisers.

Doesn't it make them too powerful them? I'll try it next time we play, as I'm positive I'm not the only one who has issues with the Dreads in our group...

I could see this as one of the early techs to take for them, instead of a natural ability.. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Malczak
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the changes in SE, I've not seen DNs to be weak at all except in one respect...and that is the 'Direct Hit' cards. We've removed them from the deck and DNs are now a staple in most player's fleets.

Yes, there is a tech that prevents their play, but that is a lot of money and tech path to waste to get to safely use an ability that the unit is SUPPOSED to have from the get-go. And I'll grant you that the odds of someone holding a 'Direct Hit' are low in any one battle, but they are enough that its just not worth taking a hit on a DN when you have other units available that are far cheaper and easier to bring to battle. Hence, while 'Direct Hits' are in the deck you are playing with fire if you take advantage of one of the better capabilities of an otherwise mediocre unit.

I highly recommend removing them from the deck if you feel that DNs are at all not worth their cost in SE.

As to the original topic, I'd be all for additional OPTIONAL content. I personally dont want to see anything else defensive in nature added. I thought PDS is bad enough, but luckily SE somewhat helps there with the new tech. I am not a fan of Mines or anything else which discourages mobility and conflict.

At the same time, there also comes a saturation point where new rules and options (however good they are individually) eventually just bog the game down and detract rather than add to the experience. New races are always welcome and new uses for existing units/capabilities are generally good as well. But adding more and more eventually tips the game over (and then we get 4th Edition to 'streamline' play again! ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.