United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Ok - I think I've got a better image gallery geekmod process... you'll get a slow first image, but thereafter it should be faster, and you'll get a slowdown every 100 images as the system fills your bucket back up. Also, I am doing the images randomly - so you won't get geekgold until the images you work on resolve, but with the pace that was being set earlier - that shouldn't be too long.

Here's the repost from Octavian:

Octavian wrote:
The image galleries for games are being split into three different categories:

Game - Images where the focus is on the game, the box, and/or unaltered components.

People - Images where people are prominently featured with the game

Creative - Images of the game that contain creative elements such as modified components or fun situations.

When you view a game's gallery you will see these options at the top, which you can use to view only those images assigned to that category. There is also an option to view All the images in the gallery, unfiltered by category.

All new image submissions must be assigned one of these three categories, and rejecting an image for not fitting the designated category is now an option in Geekmod.

However we still need to categorize all of the images that were in the system prior to the split. To this end, Aldie has added a new section in GeekMod titled Image Gallery.

There, users can categorize the existing images. The eventual category is based on user consensus, and you earn .01 for each image whose eventual category matches the one you assigned it to.

Undoubtedly there will be disagreements, but for now let's focus on categorizing all of the current images. Use your best judgment, and try to hold back complaints if an image ends up somewhere other than where you assigned it. Questions and comments can be made in this thread.

Happy categorizing!

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barnaby James
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm liking this way more!

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could we please rename 'Game' to be more clear from a knee-jerk reaction as to being unmodded?

Say, something like 'Stock Game', 'Standard Game', or 'Basic Game'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, we could use an 'unrelated' category.

There are a number of pics of PC versions of various games on BGG that are clearly not the boardgame components, people pics, or 'creative'. Rather, completely unrelated to the BGG entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, so good on the bucket-based image gallery modding. Would it be possible to cut the bucket size down to 50? 100 gives a long wait for images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
This is going a lot faster now. Thanks Aldie.

I just saw the first screen shot showing up. Where are we supposed to put those ? I have skipped this one for now, but there are quite a lot of them. Do they belong in "game" (not really) or rather in "creative" (also doesn't really seem to be right).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
gwen wrote:
This is going a lot faster now. Thanks Aldie.

I just saw the first screen shot showing up. Where are we supposed to put those ? I have skipped this one for now, but there are quite a lot of them. Do they belong in "game" (not really) or rather in "creative" (also doesn't really seem to be right).

I would put them in creative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
jeffwolfe wrote:
So far, so good on the bucket-based image gallery modding. Would it be possible to cut the bucket size down to 50? 100 gives a long wait for images.

I don't think that's a factor - but I'll try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
.01 GG per image we match correctly? Hold me back!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Also, we could use an 'unrelated' category.

There are a number of pics of PC versions of various games on BGG that are clearly not the boardgame components, people pics, or 'creative'. Rather, completely unrelated to the BGG entry.
Hear Hear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ignorant
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb

Octavian wrote:
The image galleries for games are being split into three different categories:

Game - Images where the focus is on the game, the box, and/or unaltered components.

People - Images where people are prominently featured with the game

Creative - Images of the game that contain creative elements such as modified components or fun situations.

Where do I put a painted miniature? Would you differ between a painted warhammer-miniature and a painted descent-miniature?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Waenink
New Zealand
Whangarei
Northland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this categorising open to all members?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VikingFury wrote:
Where do I put a painted miniature? Would you differ between a painted warhammer-miniature and a painted descent-miniature?

Clearly creative. It's the main use of the new system.
The game category is for unaltered components, for what you get when you buy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ignorant
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
VikingFury wrote:

Clearly creative. It's the main use of the new system.
The game category is for unaltered components, for what you get when you buy it.

Im thinking the same about the miniatures from descent or battlelore. But this means that the whole warhammer category except the rule books would be in the creative category? Not many players play with unpainted miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VikingFury wrote:
Im basically thinking the same about the miniatures from descent or battlelore. But this means that the whole warhammer category except the rule books would be in the creative category?

I think a part will be in the 'peoples' category.

And all the images of the miniatures out of the box will be in the game category. I don't know how many of them are there; i always skip miniature game images in geekmod, since i never can tell what's the real thing and what's customized, with 400 images in the database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The current categories are fine, but I would just like to recommend one possible subdivision for the future. Since the vast majority of images I'm modding are under "game", it seems like that could stand to be broken up at least a couple of times. I would suggest sub-categories of "box", "component", and "game-in-progress." Shots that only show one or two pieces on a board would be in the second category, shots that showed a reasonable number of pieces in relation to each other, or the whole board, without the players around it, would go into the third category

It's obviously too late to shoehorn this in, but perhaps when the dust has settled from this flurry of modding, there could be a second round to refine the categories a little bit.

I have one mod question that I'm not sure about. Should-in game shots of particularly elaborate Heroscape set-ups be classified under creative? I've kind of been going on a basis of "if it makes me say wow, it's creative." I'm glad to hear a suggestion on screenshots, I hope the two or three that I marked as "game" already aren't the consensus blush

I apologize if either of these issues were mentioned in the last thread or other associated threads. I've spent enough time time image sorting that I don't want to wade through all of it

Great job on implementing a system that people have been making a lot of noise about for as long as I've been around here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koby Shachar
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
It says: Love thy gamer
badge
I have nothing smart to say... yet
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
The current categories are fine, but I would just like to recommend one possible subdivision for the future. Since the vast majority of images I'm modding are under "game", it seems like that could stand to be broken up at least a couple of times. I would suggest sub-categories of "box", "component", and "game-in-progress."

I strongly support this attitude.

And two new questions:
1. How do you categorize an image with a hand holding cards in game-in-progress? Is it 'Game' or 'People'?
2. What about animals? I was considering 'People'(!) or 'Creative'...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So who's having fun guessing who made each image? I've seen one gamephotos and one EndersGame so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ignorant
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
koby_shachar wrote:
toku42 wrote:
The current categories are fine, but I would just like to recommend one possible subdivision for the future. Since the vast majority of images I'm modding are under "game", it seems like that could stand to be broken up at least a couple of times. I would suggest sub-categories of "box", "component", and "game-in-progress."

I strongly support this attitude.

And two new questions:
1. How do you categorize an image with a hand holding cards in game-in-progress? Is it 'Game' or 'People'?
2. What about animals? I was considering 'People'(!) or 'Creative'...

I vote for hands in the game category and animals in the creative category (if the animal is in some form of contact with the game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tuomas Riekkinen
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Theres few hard ones to categorize

Miniatures are easy,pained theyre creative, in box theyre game. But what bou when theyre clued up but not yet painted? can you realy say theyre creative? Battletech had lot of those. I voted for game

How about wargames on metal walls. Problem comes from the fact that basicly the game itself does not need to be changed exactly, but you need to add metal wall and you need to add counterholder magnets. I voted for Creative because its not standard setup, but the problem comes from the fact difference between metalwall and table is not that great

I can see there will be problems with new image submissions as people have different opinions

With old images we have majority vote over what category, with new images is it only the decision of uploader? (cant check as theres no images in geekmod queueat the moment of writing) One option is set it as decline possibility but that sounds harsh. Maybe force the geekmods categorizise image? Maybe that would make it easier for creative images to get in (thing I think has been complained over)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about screenshots of computer versions of games? I've SKIP:ed a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ripley
United Kingdom
Stevenage
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OldestManOnMySpace wrote:
So who's having fun guessing who made each image? I've seen one gamephotos and one EndersGame so far.

Well, I've seen two of my own so far; which is pretty good going for the relatively small number of images I have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding:

What you get when you buy the box is GAME
Everything else you make yourself is CREATIVE

The point is to give people a clue about what is in the box they pay for.

Exception: I'd say that cards in generic plain sleeves are still GAME.

People in the shot just to show the scale of the game, or to demonstrate what you do in a dexterity game, are probably still GAME, though just hands might work better, depending on the shot.

Pictures where the faces and expressions are important are generally PEOPLE.

If the picture is more meaningful because you know (or admire in some way) the people involved it's definitely PEOPLE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
The current categories are fine, but I would just like to recommend one possible subdivision for the future. Since the vast majority of images I'm modding are under "game", it seems like that could stand to be broken up at least a couple of times. I would suggest sub-categories of "box", "component", and "game-in-progress." Shots that only show one or two pieces on a board would be in the second category, shots that showed a reasonable number of pieces in relation to each other, or the whole board, without the players around it, would go into the third category

It's obviously too late to shoehorn this in, but perhaps when the dust has settled from this flurry of modding, there could be a second round to refine the categories a little bit.

We already had this second round. Unfortunately, since it's working with tags, shots can be in multiple categories. A game in progess played with modified components and the box sitting in the backgroud might show up in "box", "play", "components" *and* "modified".

The main intention of this round of categorizing is the split up the components folder, and make a clear distinction between what comes in the box, and what is modified or 'fun with some pieces/cats'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IzToK
Slovenia
Maribor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent job Aldie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.