Subject: Need to read the rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please publish the rules for this game. It sounds quite interesting, but I will not jump into unknown waters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. I'm not holding my breath though; their website allows you to download some extras, but only if you enter a specific word from the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hobb3 wrote:
Please publish the rules for this game. It sounds quite interesting, but I will not jump into unknown waters.

My thoughts exactamaly!...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Zekser
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Fourthed!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fifthed!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in. This game intrigues me but I've learned not to buy sight unseen. The game does sound like it might be abit complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Spode
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
The game does sound like it might be abit complex.

Im am only half way through the rules but yeah it is kind of complex alright. Not ASL complicated more TI3 weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Reeves
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your interest in PoC. While our attorney has advised us against publishing the full ruleset as it makes pursuing copyright infringement difficult (and we assume this is the same reason why Days Of Wonder doesn’t publish its full rules on games like Battlelore), I understand your desire to want to know what you're getting yourself into before you make a purchase. To that end, we have constructed a "Summary Rulebook" that shows the complete Table of Contents from the standard rulebook as well as many excerpts that inform you on what to expect without delving into all the gory details. Also be aware that the highly detailed Prince Handbooks and Recordsheets go hand-in-hand with the rules, which is another reason why we believe just posting the rules may lead to more confusion rather than clarity. Keep in mind as well that rules are very dry and do not often do justice to describing how it feels to play the game. Just knowing the rules to Chess, for example, does very little for comprehending the depth and complexity an evenly matched game provides. The heart and soul of PoC revolves around the intricate battles and myriad decisions you make along the way. Our rules simply provide the scaffolding around which imaginative gameplay is built. However, we are glad to offer you a sample and hope it is informative enough to help you decide whether or not Prince of Chaos: Battle for Tae Orn is right for you. The Summary Rulebook is available by request only. Just email us and we will return the Summary Rulebook as an attached .pdf. If you have any further questions, please email us at info@PeregrineGames.com.

Sincerely,

Tom Reeves
President
Peregrine Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
treeves3 wrote:
While our attorney has advised us against publishing the full ruleset as it makes pursuing copyright infringement difficult (and we assume this is the same reason why Days Of Wonder doesn’t publish its full rules on games like Battlelore)...

But they do post the full rules for just about everything else, as do all other forward-thinking game publishers. Because of your worry about loss of sales, you will lose sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Publishing part of rules is your answer? Come on, the whole purpose of reading through the rules before buying is to get to know the game. It is not possible with only partial information.

I will wait for a good explanatory review from a fellow gamer and will definitely not invest my money into a big unknown title. When it comes for FFG or DoW, I know more or less what to expect. It not true in this case.

Wishing you good luck with the sales...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Spode
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subhuman wrote:
ScottE wrote:
The game does sound like it might be abit complex.

Im am only half way through the rules but yeah it is kind of complex alright. Not ASL complicated more TI3 weight.

I was definently off on my statement above. I got the first game in yeaterday and this is more toward the ASL side of complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
treeves3 wrote:
our attorney has advised us against publishing the full ruleset as it makes pursuing copyright infringement difficult

Lots of major publishers publish the full rules on their website, available to all, like Fantasy Flight Games, Rio Grande Games, Z-Man Games, Valley Games... If someone wants to infringe on your copyright, what's going to stop them from buying the game and doing it then? People these days are more willing to buy a game if the rules are available, than not. Sorry, but that's how it works in these days of internet and all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe D.-P.
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
It looks interesting, but I never bought a game unless I could either try it or read the rules.

oh wait, I did just that with Tenjo.

damn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Baginski
Germany
49074 Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only agree:

I will never buy this game without having read the rules.
That's sad, regarding the fact that the game actually sounds interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
treeves3 wrote:
The Summary Rulebook is available by request only.

Good thinking, you wouldn't want any non-requestors to get their hands on it.

Maybe my FLGS will get this game and let me look before buying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Reeves
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We are working on an updated version of the rules that we will publish and make available for download. This will include the full ruleset that comes with the game, along with more examples and graphics that will not require readers to have the handbooks and recordsheets to make sense of it all. In addition, the version will include all of the rule addendum, new variants, and other changes suggested by those who have played the game. This revision is currently underway and we hope to have it complete by mid April. Anyone who likes heavy games with detailed rules such as Starfleet Battles, ASL, etc., and would like to offer constructive advice on this update is welcome to contact me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am glad that you have seen the light

Without downloadable rules, I would cross this title out without giving it another thought. Now, I may have a reason to keep my eye on your game. However, mid-April seems so far away... hmmm...

I am afraid that you have lost one potential customer by your negligance. There are many good games waiting to be purchased. I got preety excited when I heard about this game, but we all need some fuel to keep our interest alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Baginski
Germany
49074 Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds really good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Reeves
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest version of the Rules is posted on the Prince of Chaos Downloads page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No need for any special words any more thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for making the rules available. I'll take a look at them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Barch
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looking at the rules now, looks like a lot of fun. I ordered my copy today, so I will hopefully get a chance to play it next week, and as such will hopefully be writing my first review for BBG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Raabe
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, and yet they use 80's computer game copy protection (enter a keyword from the manual) to limit access to their strategy guide, record sheets, and other items. So if you want to learn more about how to play the game, you've got to prove that you own the game! I think I've known cults that were less secretive... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spider Jerusalem
United States
Saratoga
California
flag msg tools
Many games that have strategy guides cost money to acquire. Monsterpocalypse comes to mind as a recent example. The "copy protection" is indeed crazy old school and elicited a chuckle. You can see what a record sheet looks like in the online rules. As for restricting the download of the other materials, I can only speculate. By the way, it's not really "they" using the archaic protection. Aside from the commissioned artwork for the game, this is a one man show!

As an aside looking at one of your particular badges there I must mention that as I play more of this game it is approaching the level of FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
treeves3 wrote:
We are working on an updated version of the rules that we will publish and make available for download. This will include the full ruleset that comes with the game, along with more examples and graphics that will not require readers to have the handbooks and recordsheets to make sense of it all. In addition, the version will include all of the rule addendum, new variants, and other changes suggested by those who have played the game. This revision is currently underway and we hope to have it complete by mid April. Anyone who likes heavy games with detailed rules such as Starfleet Battles, ASL, etc., and would like to offer constructive advice on this update is welcome to contact me.

After picking up this game and read through the rules-simple enough to read but dryer than the desert- the online rules (ver 1.6) show all the examples you need to help clarify particular points to the game.

The 5 turn walk-through, although only 2 player, puts into play all the knowhow you need to execute simple moves.

This game is not as complex as ASL, BUT has the same intensity of insight needed in your units to perform at maximum efficiency. You may have HVY INF but used poorly, will lower your chances of winning.

After reading the rules, we plunked down all components to learn. YES, you need the PRINCE'S guides to learn the game. Various modifications and number crunching must be done with the Prince booklets to arrive at appropriate combat/movement/etc. values. This is done rather easily for those that don't like the paperwork. I find the paperwork simple to perform and not arduous.

You will probably need to laminate your sheets and get the wax-like writing implements to keep your paperwork lasting a long time.

Counters are Hardcore and can be used to prop up your car when changing the oil!!

BUY this game if you are a player who loves TACTICAL games. It's cheap enough (not the $60 for Le Havre, Tinner's Trail, Brass, etc.) Board isn't as pretty, but it is fun.

Yes, I too got a laugh out of the 80's copy protection, but with all of the cheap-ass game duplicators out there... Just plunk the $40 or so and buy it...How many more expensive games are sitting around your table unplayed? This game isn't just more regurgitation of other games out there (euro game wise..). It seems fresh and has NO DICE for those who complain about random results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.