Marco Fuini
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu Natal
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crash Tackle Rugby Board Game is now being sold in the US, UK, France and Spain. See our website for details: www.crashtackle.co.za/ or www.crashtackle.co.za/features/themaul/themaul_stockists.htm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fuini
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu Natal
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skinny Mini wrote:
I may have taken one to many hits during my old rugby days because I don't see any mention of CT being sold in the US?!?

Sorry a little typo creeped in. CT is available in the US, despite the misleading title. We will fix that promptly!

This is also a more appropriate link.
www.crashtackle.co.za/features/themaul/themaul_stockists.htm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered from Troll & Toad... got it in 3 days.

Worth it. Teaching the 8yo to like rugby...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fuini
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu Natal
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
I ordered from Troll & Toad... got it in 3 days.

Worth it. Teaching the 8yo to like rugby...

Glad to hear you made the buy. Please let me know if there is anything I can help with. I am interested to hear how an 8yr old does with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, the big problems have been in handling the counters, and figuring out how to get past my line. She's reluctant to kick, but not to pass...

Rules in use: Basic plus double-six effects, scrums, offsides.

Gather, move, no problem. Tackling was easy for her to grasp. Passing, well, she's figured out it is useful, but it hadn't occurred to us (Me, my wife, or my daughter) that a player could pass during another player's movement... which will make next lay probably very much more passing.

I've told her she has to score before we add the cards.

Now, if I'd been using Ruck rules, she'd have triggered several... and wouldn't have scored that last try.

Now, the kick rules... she commented that a failed kick shouldn't leave the kicker holding the ball... so we may try advanced kicking.

We are solving the hard-to-handle counters issue with meeples... I found a supplier online, and at $0.20 to $0.25 per meeple, that's a far sight cheaper than the minis, and probably more durable... her little sister is hell on my minis. I should have them by friday... green, yellow, and gray. As for the ball... probably a bead on a pin, and I'll dremel out a hole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fuini
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu Natal
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of age, most coaches start off reluctant to commit their ball carrier to the tackle and hence are kept behind the advantage line for long periods until the defender leaves a gap.

Once you start forcing tackles in your turn, you start creating gaps, and then the game opens up, and tries start happening easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
bikini wrote:
Regardless of age, most coaches start off reluctant to commit their ball carrier to the tackle and hence are kept behind the advantage line for long periods until the defender leaves a gap.

Once you start forcing tackles in your turn, you start creating gaps, and then the game opens up, and tries start happening easier.

She's starting to see that. We played the "Second Half" of the prior game. Score, 2nd, 0-14. Making the game end 14-14. Yup, she is figuring that you grab the ball, move it a bit, and get it free of the ruckus (which may also be the ruck).

She also has taken to walling off her ball carrier from chasers. Which meant the second try was sweet... I had two players who could have caught her, and pointed out my #11... she blocked him off. She noted my 15, and blocked him, too. Both her tries scored within a hex of the pole.

Which reminds me, we had a knock on and scrum 1 hex from the try line, and at the pole... we moved it over a hex to enable a full pack, as the judges had done in an All-blacks at Australia game a few years back. Right call? (My prop would have been on the pole)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fuini
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu Natal
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aramis wrote:
Which reminds me, we had a knock on and scrum 1 hex from the try line, and at the pole... we moved it over a hex to enable a full pack, as the judges had done in an All-blacks at Australia game a few years back. Right call? (My prop would have been on the pole)

Yes the scrum needs to be repositioned so that the template does not extend over touchline, tryline or poles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
For Marco's edification:

Played with meeples instead of the pieces. Looks better, feels better... just stand the ball against the carrier.

14-7 My favor against the 8yo. two scrums, one for knock-on, one for interference.

I never completed a "crossing the field" set of passes... ball stopped in the midline, each of the 5 attempts.

Two injuries, both times, #10....

She's starting to understand that being tackled isn't a bad thing... if you can gather without a ruck.

She nearly scored in the first half, but failed a gather two hexes out from the try-line.

BTW: coded the meeples...
helmets= the forwards
Shoes = wings or kicker (Kicker is different color)
Gloves = scrum-half or fullback (scrum-half is different color)

And while I've not seen shoulder numbers in real rugby, it helps with these guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.