Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Bonaparte at Marengo» Forums » Rules

Subject: Road movement for dummies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Given right directions, the road movement rule will make total sense to you. It does to me and I find them easy to implement and simple to explain to newbies. I spent half a minute to explain it to my wife and she had to stop me ("I get you!")

The implementation of the rule is simpler than the way it is written. Think of it this way:

Only one piece can travel along the road at any given moment. So if 3 pieces are trying to use the road, they have to "queue up": only one can be on any section of it at one time. If the second piece wants to "get on" the road, it has to wait until the previous piece has passed into the next locale. The second piece forfeits its first move as a result. [At this point I would point to the turn track] Each turn stands for an hour and time doesn't stand still for every piece to complete its deed. So the second piece only gets to move two locales.

With the concept of queuing in mind, the "first move cannot be made after second move" rule would be a piece of cake.

I owe this interpretation to two computer science majors. I translated the rules, they teach them to me, so I must be doing something right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
No offense, but that doesn't make any better sense to me.

It's simple: When a piece on a road crosses an approach, the approach gets a pip on a die. Three pips and it's closed. (The pipe also tells each unit what move it's on of the three as it crosses).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with Mark. Using dice makes a lot more sense to track road movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I use dice to keep track off movement allowance, too. The queuing and real time concept are there to explain the why instead of the how.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people learn conceptually while others learn procedurally. It makes explaining things a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
Maybe it's an English speaking thing but I can't understand the way this rule is writen.

Either way, what if someone wants to move a piece 2 aproaches and a second piece also 2 aproaches into the same locale. Is it possible?

Also, if we want to move a third piece we are only allowed to move it one aproach?

Thanks
Paulo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Soledade wrote:
Maybe it's an English speaking thing but I can't understand the way this rule is writen.

Either way, what if someone wants to move a piece 2 aproaches and a second piece also 2 aproaches into the same locale. Is it possible?

Yes.
Quote:

Also, if we want to move a third piece we are only allowed to move it one aproach?

Yes.

Again, the simplest way to do it is to mark each a approach (with a die or something) as a piece crosses it. When the marker gets to three, that approach is closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paulo,

Have a look at the road movement diagram that Garry Haggerty made:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/14542

I think it will help.

Regards,
George

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:

Again, the simplest way to do it is to mark each a approach (with a die or something) as a piece crosses it. When the marker gets to three, that approach is closed.

Mark's approach is the one I use. Here is a detailed explanation of how it would work in your example of three units beginning in the same reserve and moving along a major road. Bear in mind that each piece that crosses an approach must either place a die or add one to a die that's already there.

As you move the first piece, you'd place a 1 on the first approach crossed, a 2 on the second approach crossed, and a 3 on the third approach crossed.

When the second piece crosses the first approach, it must change the 1 to a 2, and when it crosses the second approach it must change the 2 to a 3. It can't cross the third approach because that already has a 3, which prevents any further road movement.

Finally, when the third unit moves across the first approach, it must change the 2 to a 3, and at that point it must stop because the second approach already has a 3.

I hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mb
Thank you both.

George, your example was very good a very clear. Thanks!

Paulo

edit: typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ran Veer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
George, thank you for the excellent explanation. I'm a bit confused about the following though:

Sphere wrote:

Last point to remember is that if you travel on a minor road, the highest die you can place is a 2.

I can't seem to find where this is implied in the rules. Could you please explain why the above is the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ranveer wrote:
George, thank you for the excellent explanation. I'm a bit confused about the following though:

Sphere wrote:

Last point to remember is that if you travel on a minor road, the highest die you can place is a 2.

I can't seem to find where this is implied in the rules. Could you please explain why the above is the case?

Please ignore that, I lost my mind. Apparently I was thinking of Napoleon's Triumph, not BaM when I added that.

Thanks for catching that, Ranveer. I'll edit my earlier post so I don't cause any more confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Malacandra wrote:

Mark's approach is the one I use. Here is a detailed explanation of how it would work

I’m fairly new to the game but as you admit this example seems only valid with pieces moving from the same local. I don’t currently have my game but wondered if using dice would be a good bookkeeping method as well, although with a different method.

I was thinking that regardless of where a piece on a road begins it should place a dice at the junction of two locals. If it was the pieces first move it would be turned to ONE. At that point no other piece could, using road movement, cross that junction (on that particular road) using its first movement. Its second road movement would require a dice with the TWO up at the second junction. Any other piece using this road junction (the one with the TWO up) would have be using its first or third movement and then place another dice with either a ONE or THREE up as appropriate.

This method would require more dice per junction crossed but still no more than 3 per junction. My belief is that this method would handle combinations such as caused by Y intersections and pieces starting in staggered locals.

Unfortunately I can’t test this method since my game has been loaned out.

cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is how it works. Basically, whatever a move a piece is on when it crosses the approach, gets that number on the die.

So, conceivably. an approach might be on a two pip from other units. Let's say a unit in another local wants to cross. It's that units first move, but the die goes up to 3 pips. And that unit can't move anymore. (It had to wait for the others to go by).

You've got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gbaker59 wrote:
Any other piece using this road junction (the one with the TWO up) would have be using its first or third movement and then place another dice with either a ONE or THREE up as appropriate.

I'm afraid you can't do that. Once a 2 is placed, you no longer have the option to place a 1. Consequently there is no point in using multiple dice per approach; any die present must be incremented if another unit crosses that road.

There is an explicit sequence within the turn. The easiest way to think of this is that each pip on the die represents 20 minutes of the movement for that hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
gbaker59 wrote:
Any other piece using this road junction (the one with the TWO up) would have be using its first or third movement and then place another dice with either a ONE or THREE up as appropriate.

I'm afraid you can't do that. Once a 2 is placed, you no longer have the option to place a 1.

I messed around with a hand drawn map and pcs and I see your point. At least so far I haven't found a way to prove using the extra dice are necessary.

I wasn't too worried about using a ONE movement after a TWO because I just figured it would mean the player moved his pcs in the wrong order. Unfortunately I think pcs could pass one another on a road doing this.

Since I'll probably be teaching the game I'll mess around with it more when I get the game back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.