Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What are people's thoughts on Billy? In the advanced game you can pick your own characters. I almost never pick Billy. +1 to Movement is OK, but compared to characters like Sally or Johnny, Billy's +1 to Movement seems mediocre. Now if it were +2 even, that sounds like a minor change, but I might be more likely to consider him.

Anyone found Billy's +1 to Movement strategically more useful (or even equal) to Sally or Johnny?

If the Farmhouse is on the board then Jenny is an automatic pick for me when I'm building a heroes team, but even when it's not, her low weapon breakage seems better than Billy's +1 to running in many games. As a general rule, if the Farmhouse is not on the board, however, I don't pick Jenny either.

Am I understimating a potentially devastating movement ability, or do others agree with me that Billy is mostly a dud?

Lee Valentine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Bullen
Canada
flag msg tools
Re: Run, Billy, Run -- Situationally Awesome or Usually Medi
I don't own the game yet so take my thoughts as such, but from what i've been reading up on I offer the following thoughts.

billy moves a minimum of 2 spaces each turn, think on this one, zombies always move a minimum of 1, so your injured by a zombie try to get away, only move one space, the zombies jump on you. With billy, unless surrounded, this means that unless a card is used to let the zombies move more then one space Billy can always get away when injured at have at least one turn to heal. Example: Billy gets into a fight with a zombie, he takes a wound from it. He decides it's better to run, he rolls a 1 (what are the odds!) but he moves two spaces, the zombie only moves 1 space, no matter what unless somthing is played to slow down billy *rain for instance* or to speed the zombie up, Billy can always outrun the zombies.

Point 2 the rain. The rain slows everyone down by 1, meaning that on a roll of 1 or 2 everyone moves at the same speed as zombies, however billy moves at regular dice speed, moving faster on a roll of 2+ still.
Basicly all im saying is it seems useless but he makes a good runner, I would say use him to take advantage of zombie hunger, run in, make the zombies chase you while the hero's get away, chances are if used right, billy should easily escape the zombies after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We always pick our characters randomly (to make it more interesting) or we would almost always end up with sally, johnny, the drifter, and either jenny or the sheriff. Billy's speed ability is okay, but just not great compared to the others, even the new bag boy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing good about Billy's ability is that he gets that +1 every single turn of the entire game. No penalty.

That's a LOT of movement.

But yeah, it's a bit of a dud...
Unless they come out with a card that allows the father and son to work together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally found a scenario where Billy is useful. In the web scenario "We've Got to Go Back" all 7 boards are used, so there is a vast amount of searching. We played it last night. The heroes chose 12 cards at random and gave Billy keys, a torch, and a fire extinguisher so that he couldn't be readily slowed down. He ran around the board, unimpeded, and with an "Escape through the Windows" he went from one side of the play setup, right around a zombie blockade, and on to the other side of the board.

I haven't EVER seen him be that useful before, but in that scenario he was pretty useful.

Lee Valentine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elstree
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:
What are people's thoughts on Billy? In the advanced game you can pick your own characters. I almost never pick Billy. +1 to Movement is OK, but compared to characters like Sally or Johnny, Billy's +1 to Movement seems mediocre.

Billy is unanimously viewed as the weakest character (and therefore the least desirable character) in the game by my group. That +1 to move just isn't that helpful. Usually you don't have to move as far as 7 spaces, so all his +1 does is keep you from rolling a 1. You've still got just as much of a chance of rolling a 2 as you do a 7.

Here's an idea: Instead of adding +1 to his move, why not roll two move dice and pick the better of the two? Here's the distribution:

Move Fq Perc
1 1 2.8%
2 3 8.3%
3 5 13.9%
4 7 19.4%
5 9 25.0%
6 11 30.6%

This would make Billy the most reliably fast character, which is supposed to be his shtick anyway.

[edited for table formatting]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Two dice and pick the best roll?

That's how I fixed Zombie!!! the boardgame.

Good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Appleby
Australia
lismore
N.S.W
flag msg tools
mbmb
We did find Billy's ability to be a little bit lacking. Now that we have Growing Hunger and can compare his ability to the new Heroes, we think he needs something better.
If we didnt pick random heroes we would never use Billy.
The roll 2 dice and choose the best is all right, but is giving him this option equal to the other heroes? Would he still be lacking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tokelau
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also choose randomly to make the game more interesting.

The nice thing about the +1 movement is if you are in a space with a zombie and you roll a 1 for movement, you wouldn't be able to escape the zombie and would be attacked the next round.

With that +1 movement he is able to outdistance the zombie unless he has a shamble.

It definitely increases his survivability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Hyde
Australia
Blue Mountains
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:
I finally found a scenario where Billy is useful. In the web scenario "We've Got to Go Back" all 7 boards are used, so there is a vast amount of searching.

With the 7 boards the Zombies are also more spread out in this scenario
meaning more gaps to exploit for the fast moving student.

I normally choose random characters
but for "Go back" the "choose who you want to use"
seems to fit the back story well.

I'll be including Billy next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Johansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In the beginning I perceived Billy as significantly weaker than the other characters, but after several games with the Sherif's son I have changed my opinion.

Do a little experiment; next time you include Billy, count the number of times during the game where his +1 move saves him from encountering a zombie OR enables him to reach a building (effectively giving him an extra search compared to others.)

Lublang

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Myers
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems weak on the surface, especially compared to some others' abilities, but I think the +1 bonus is more useful for not getting stuck moving one space after a zombie wounds him.

Eg: Zombie wounds Billy; Billy rolls 1, but can still move 2. Safely out of range he can give up his next movement to Youthfully heal himself.

Other youthful characters in this situation can only move that one space and the zombie will hungrily follow and attack them on the next turn, allowing no time to give up a move to heal.

It gives him that extra edge to heal and avoid death. Moving 7 spaces is an added bonus, should it ever happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ax Bits
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elstree wrote:
Here's an idea: Instead of adding +1 to his move, why not roll two move dice and pick the better of the two? Here's the distribution:

Move Fq Perc
1 1 2.8%
2 3 8.3%
3 5 13.9%
4 7 19.4%
5 9 25.0%
6 11 30.6%

This would make Billy the most reliably fast character, which is supposed to be his shtick anyway.

If you add up those movements you get an average of 4.472 with a low of 1 and a high of 6.
Using 1d6+1 you get an average of 4.5 with a low of 2 and a high of 7.

The math is in your favour playing it the way it's printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see some arguments that Billy's ability is useful. I don't think anyone is disputing that, but the question is whether or not he's as useful as the others. I agree with the general consensus that he's the least useful character. His speed is always handy, there are situations where his speed is highly useful, and even some where it's critical. But in terms of pure movement, Johnny can be just as good with BLITZ since he can run through zombies just outside the door, whereas Billy has to stop and fight. BLITZ can also be used to have Johnny carve through a row of zombies. Plus, Johnny has TOUGH. So between the 2, I'd almost always want Johnny, and I don't think of Johnny as a great character either. The only time I'd prefer Billy to anyone else is if there's no Farm, I might take him over Jenny.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Nairb
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:
What are people's thoughts on Billy? In the advanced game you can pick your own characters. I almost never pick Billy. +1 to Movement is OK, but compared to characters like Sally or Johnny, Billy's +1 to Movement seems mediocre. Now if it were +2 even, that sounds like a minor change, but I might be more likely to consider him.

Anyone found Billy's +1 to Movement strategically more useful (or even equal) to Sally or Johnny?

If the Farmhouse is on the board then Jenny is an automatic pick for me when I'm building a heroes team, but even when it's not, her low weapon breakage seems better than Billy's +1 to running in many games. As a general rule, if the Farmhouse is not on the board, however, I don't pick Jenny either.

Am I understimating a potentially devastating movement ability, or do others agree with me that Billy is mostly a dud?

Yeah, in general Billy is mostly awful. But they fix this in the Survival of the Fittest expansion where your movement roll also contributes to other things like getting Unique Items, Survival Tactics, and putting up Barricades. In all of the expansion scenarios, his plus one to his movement roll is ridiculously helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.