Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi I'm new to these forums and haven't really been playing alot of boardgames, mostly because the kind of games I like aren't really accessible to me. I grew up in the north side of Iceland in a small town of about 2.500, up to 4.000 in the whole county so there where no specialized shops for more complicated boardgame. It was just monopoly and snakes and ladders.

We however got into roleplaying and spent countless hours doing that when we were younger in addition to the usual things teenagers do out in the country. Many of the group and me included have now moved to the capital city (capital city area with suburbs does have around 180.000 more then half of Icelands whole population) for education and live with our girlfriends and have little time to roleplay anymore but I miss meeting the guys on weekends.

My idea was getting on a board game we could play regurlaly, even one with wich goes on progressivly and is cooparative in nature. I liked the idea behind older games like Advanced Heroquest and Warhammer Quest but would rather like a more recent game. Descent interests me and I have no problem playing overlord (I did GM most of the RPG games). It sounds like a cool game except for missing the campaign element of ongoing character progress but that's supposedly going to be added in next expansion pack. Is anyone better for us? I don't mind cutting the miniature thing out as I don't have the time or skills to paint, they aren't that much of an eyecandy unpainted so I would be ok if the game represents figures with standardized wooden bits but they don't get in my way either if they come with the box and you don't have to pay extra money to collect alot of them.

Many other games interest me in a different aspect I might also try out. Battlefront sounds like a really cool game where you don't have to spend vasts amounts of money to buy miniature armies. Might get that also.

I already have Catan and like that game but many (mostly my friends girlfriends(no blaming here thou)) like a more casual game, find it too stratgetic so a more of a party game would be nice but not too simple, I don't really like games that are pure luck.

I also can't play Catan with my girlfriend 2 player and I wan't something to play in between scrabble. Might be a game where you can play with more then 2 but 2 should also be enough and it wouldn't be too bad to have it coop also.

Well I'm asking alot and many of the criteria is really wide and could include plenty of games so just scream your favorite games at me or something. Also many games aren't really available here in Iceland so possibly I would have to order them overseas (and that might possibly and even likely be cheaper for me) where could I order them from the sends internationally.

Excuse my english and feel free to point out what I say wrong.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg White
New Zealand
Upper Hutt, Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Looking for game/games for ex-roleplayers and me and my
welcome, you have quite a few differing needs there.

if you and your girlfriend both like settlers of catan and are looking for a 2 player version then have a look at Catan Card Game. it plays quite differently to the board game but has enough similarities that learning it is a breeze.

for a game that may scratch the role playing itch then have a look at Prophecy.

for the party game Jungle Speed, if english is a barrier to your mates girlfriends embracing a game, then this game is good as it is language independent. however it can be rough on the hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Nielsen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
What kinds of 2 player games do you want to play with your girlfriend? Lost Cities is a great two-player game that's short and pretty light. I've heard good things about Mr Jack as well.

Arkham Horror can be played 2 player and it's cooperative. It's got plenty of got that RPG goodness you said you were looking for.

Ticket to Ride is more simple than Catan, but it's still got some strategy involved. That could be your go-to game for when your friend's girlfriends are around. Bang! also sounds like it might work perfectly for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities?

Just kidding.

How about BattleLore?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NZRPGR wrote:
welcome, you have quite a few differing needs there.

if you and your girlfriend both like settlers of catan and are looking for a 2 player version then have a look at Catan Card Game. it plays quite differently to the board game but has enough similarities that learning it is a breeze.

for a game that may scratch the role playing itch then have a look at Prophecy.

for the party game Jungle Speed, if english is a barrier to your mates girlfriends embracing a game, then this game is good as it is language independent. however it can be rough on the hands.

Not sure about a card game, but might check it out, definetly going to take a look at Prophecy but it isn't a coop game is it?

However my buddy has Jungel speed and it's a great game but I was looking more for a laid back boardgame not twitchy game play, the girls get so wound up

Thanks for the tips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
-Descent with coming expansion is good
-Battlestations (being reprinted this summer)

That's about it for a fairly real RPG experience/board game hybrid genre (which I'm a huge fan of also).

As for other kinds of games... well, look at the top 300 games in the Games>Games list... lots of good stuff there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingólfur Valsson
Iceland
Sauðárkrókur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atomic_Zen wrote:
What kinds of 2 player games do you want to play with your girlfriend? Lost Cities is a great two-player game that's short and pretty light. I've heard good things about Mr Jack as well.

Arkham Horror can be played 2 player and it's cooperative. It's got plenty of got that RPG goodness you said you were looking for.

Ticket to Ride is more simple than Catan, but it's still got some strategy involved. That could be your go-to game for when your friend's girlfriends are around. Bang! also sounds like it might work perfectly for them.

Arkham Horror has catched my eye though my buddies are more into fantasy and I'm not into Lovecraft (don't dislike him just haven't read any) I might give it a try. Are the games with ongoing character progression a thing of the past?

Also english isn't really a problem, though we might speak and write it semi good most young icelanders understand it near perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Board games have never really been about character progression that lasts beyond a single game.

I've been into an RPG system called Savage Worlds lately. It is extremely good at creating a board game/RPG hybrid feel, due to rules that are very focused on tactics and rapid play. The core book is only $10 and I highly recommend it.

Character development within a given board game isn't too hard to find. Descent, Runebound its many expansions, Arkham Horror, Dungeoneer, all offer stats that get "leveled-up" during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A good ex-dungeon master ought to be able to get some good use out of BETRAYAL AT HOUSE ON THE HILL. 2-6 players. Many of the scenarios are cooperative. You can create on-going characters that play a part in the different scenarios--they would be like GhostBusters taking on all comers. 1 hour or longer playing time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
You might enjoy Munchkin (and its trillion expansions), which is a card-based "dungeon crawl". It's light and pretty funny (well *I* think so). The humor is often pun oriented (for example there is a weapon called the "Unnatural Axe"), which may may either not find funny or not get all of (I don't know a second language well enough to even *imagine* understanding puns).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runebound is a great game that you could adjust the rules to play as a team, or just use the midnight expansion, and play the enemy together as well. OR you could do World of Warcraft and only play ONE faction.

Also, Return of the Heroes you can play together, though it's more apart in some ways than the others as far as coop goes.

Prophecy can work well as a coop game if you use their coop variant in the Z-man rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Citadels. It has fun fantasy elements that appeal to me as an ex-RPGer. Then again, so does BANG!.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diamondspider wrote:
-Descent with coming expansion is good
-Battlestations (being reprinted this summer)

That's about it for a fairly real RPG experience/board game hybrid genre (which I'm a huge fan of also).

As for other kinds of games... well, look at the top 300 games in the Games>Games list... lots of good stuff there.

Wanted to add more support for these two games. Very soon the new expansion for Descent is coming out which will allow campaign play. The base game is brilliant and the new expansion will make it even better!

Haven't played Battlestations but it looks really interesting and seems to be very close to what you are looking for.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim West
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife and I were both avid PnP rpg'ers in our younger days, I have more DM experience, whereas she used to LARP the Masquerade with her university mates. We still RP in various MMO's actively, but we seldom get around to PnP'ing anymore, instead opting to play one of the "hybrids" we own. We thoroughly enjoy all of the following:

Return of the Heroes, with the Under the Shadow of the Dragon expansion. It's a great value for the price, provides a nice balance of interesting quests that dont all involve "go here, kill this", and is very replayable. It's one down side is that it's a multiplayer solitaire affair, unless you find a good co-op variant (or cook one yourself).

Runebound (Second Edition) is a bit more complex than RotH above, and is much more combat oriented, however it's just as good as RotH, and offers TONS of expansions (which, for the most part, are also very affordable) It's also very much a multiplayer solitaire game however.

Descent: Journeys in the Dark is (currently) a strategic dungeon crawl, with some RP elements. However, until the Descent: The Road to Legend expansion hits, it doesn't offer any campaign play yet (though there are a few unofficial variants floating around for it). It's biggest strength however is that it is very much a game where players are interacting heavily with one another, and teamwork is key to survival, unless you're the Overlord.

Warhammer Quest is by far my favorite though, and has been since it's release. You can play this as a DMless co-op crawl, as a campaign, as an RPG.... pretty much whatever depth, whatever style, WHQ has it covered. It's only drawbacks are it's out of print and it's expensive as all get out on ebay nowadays (not only because of it's highly prized gameplay, but it's miniatures and bits as well). It can also be a brutally deadly game without a few house rules to ease things up a bit. But it's the best RPG boardgame to date ever made in my book, and an absolute blast to play.

Dungeoneer: Vault of the Fiends, Epic Dungeoneer: Call of the Lich Lord, and Legendary Dungeoneer: Wrath of the Serpent Goddess, are I and my One's most recent purchase, and after playing our first game last week, we are very much looking forward to playing again. The Glory/Peril mechanic that allows you to be your opponent(s) DM on their turn is excellent, which means there's very little downtime for players, and it's also the fastest playing RPG/BG hybrid we own.

World of Warcraft: The Boardgame is also a very good game, but it's also a very long playing time, and for some it's got too much combat and dice in it. Just like the MMO, you'll quest,quest, and quest some more until you level high enough to kill the boss for that game. It, like all the big FFG games, is pricey, but you get what you pay for in minis, board, and bits.

We also own a couple we don't enjoy as much as others here do, as they just didn't hit it off with either of us. Arkham Horror is just too fiddly and awkward for us....it's weird, we can see the good game in there, but it's just so mired in fiddliness during gameplay, it robs us of the immersion, and really bogs the playtime down unnecessarily in our opinion. (I used to own to '80's version and I remember the game flowing much more smoothly than it's current incarnation).

The other one I'd recommend you steer away from, based on what you're looking for. is Dungeon Twister simply because it's theme is so misleading. The game isn't a dungeon crawl at all, has no RPG feel, but is rather an almost wholly deterministic game (like chess), that plays like a PvP game.

Last, but not least, welcome to BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.