Subject: Seattle to Portland -- Now Resolved rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd normally delete a thread like this once a resolution has been found to avoid cluttering up the forums, but since I catch a little heat in the pants on this, it would be bad form to delete the thread!

Anyhow, thank you for looking!

KJ

Original message:

Quote:

Hello BGG Traders!

Is anyone making the trip from Seattle to Portland this week and willing to help a Portland trader out?

In the Seattle/Portland math trade, a Portlandese person won my game but was not able to respond to my geekmail until after the game shuttle left. . . If anyone is planning a trip to Portland soon and could transport the game, that would be fantastic!

Could meet at MSG or any other locale in the Seattle city limits. Please let me know!

KJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Seattle to Portland: Anyone Making the Trip soon?
I don't really know the details, but why is it that you still are holding this game after almost two weeks, and you didn't send it through the mail in the next day or two? Seems to me that is your responsibility to get it there and if you have to pay for shipping, so be it. Its not right to pawn the responsibility off on some stranger.

Its my understanding that you were the only one who didn't make the meeting. What is up with that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Good questions!

I wrote a geekmail to the trader the day the trade finalized, but only just heard back from him a couple days ago. I hadn't read the trade thread after I geek-mailed my receiver.

Also, I would have mailed the item within a day or two of receiving word from the trader, but this trade was explicitly a "no shipping" math trade!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So... you neglected to follow the thread that everyone else in Seattle read and missed the meeting? You knew that someone was coming from Portland to pick up the games, but you didn't check where and when it was? And, when you missed the pickup, you decided a week and a half later to take actions that might eventually get the game to Portland?

Yes, it was a no shipping math trade thanks to some kind folks who organized a pickup in Seattle. Once you missed that pickup, you should have mailed it. I am sorry to tell you this Rompcat, but blew it and you should have sent it right away.

At this point, you should send it now. Its a only $9 flat rate and will get there tomorrow. Its only right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't decide a week and a half later to "take actions." The trader finally decided to contact me when the game didn't magically show up.

I don't think I can be expected to know what to do with an item without any form of contact. No geekmail, no trade request, no address, etc. It's the responsibility of the receiver to contact the giver. . . at least in the many trades I've been a part of that's been my understanding.

Despite your using "active language" (". . . [you] blew it . . .," ". . . pawn off . . .," "neglected," etc.), I actually appreciate your defense of of the trader. However, once the trader contacted me, we immediately traded many geekmails about the situation, and he does not seem angry or done-upon at all.

I was alacritous and responsive at every moment . . . and I really wish I just followed the froum thread after the trade was over . . . However -- even if I knew that the trader was in Portland -- I would NOT have just given his game to someone not knowing if he would be there to pick it up or not.

I see now that the trader in question is a mutual geekbuddy of yours. I now also admire your defense of your friend. I suppose you are trying to help him get his game faster by invective?

In any case, as long as what is happening NOW seems fine with both him and I, I'll assume his understanding of the situation is more experienced than either of ours; your friend has far more trading experience than you or I combined. Like you, I wish things had gone differently, but I'm trying to find a good solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I am not so much defending my friend, who has no idea that I am responding to you, as I am protecting the process.

A lot of people worked hard to make this complicated trade work.

Frankly, my only concern is outing a bad trader. I think you did not act responsibly in checking the threads and getting the game to the person who won it. I don't think it is either the giver or receiver who is responsible. It is both. The person at the other end assumed that the game would be there because of the way it was handled. It was not up to him to show at the drop off, it was up to you.

I guess my point is, that if it had been me, I would have read through the thread to find out what I needed to do (you must have known there would be some arrangement). I would have been there when expected or made arrangements with a person in Seattle to get it there. AND, if that failed, bit the bullet and sent it along.

Your failure to accept this tells me that you are person I will think twice about trading with, especially in a math trade.

(BTW, I have nothing for praise for the folks in Seattle who coordinated this and for those who all made sure to get their games to Portland. It made for a great trade and I hope we do it again.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Well this thread seems to be going well! shake

IMO it takes a lot less calories to just mail the thing rather than somehow try to adhere to the original "no shipping" nature of the trade and find some arrangement to have someone hand carry the game to Portland after you missed the bus. Mail it already!

Just my unsolicited $0.02 on this catty thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm sure you would also have responded to me if I'd have written you geekmail.

You are nothing if not relentless, I wish you were *my* geekbuddy!

I'm actually working with your friend now and trying to get this done correctly; he has not requested I mail it. I am sorry you would think twice about trading with me, but, as you can see, I am very responsive and reasonable. Maybe when the situation resolves itself, you'll think a third time!

Maybe I should just mail it.

Also, you say you "don't know the details," AND all you have to go on is my word. . . ask your friend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:

IMO it takes a lot less calories to just mail the thing rather than somehow try to adhere to the original "no shipping" nature of the trade and find some arrangement to have someone hand carry the game to Portland after you missed the bus. Mail it already!

I think I will!

Hmm... please also tell me I'm wrong in assuming I should be contacted by the receiver, though. . .

AND I WILL MAIL IT ALREADY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Rompcat wrote:
EvilTimmy wrote:

I think I will!

Hmm... please also tell me I'm wrong in assuming I should be contacted by the receiver, though. . .

AND I WILL MAIL IT ALREADY!

I'm not sure what you mean but from what I've read it sounds like you did what you were supposed to and the receiver didn't respond in a timely manner. If that's the case then the receiver should pay for shipping.

It's not unreasonable at all to expect to hear from a recipient for confirmation of information before shipping something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh. shake

The game in question was supposed to go to me. The trade was a 'local only/no shipping' trade with the added bonus of being able include Seattle gamers.

Rompcat did pm me the day the trade concluded, but the message was around shipping, and I didn't respond - partly because I got about a thousand pm's that day and partly because I was puzzled why someone was pm'ing me about shipping a game in a 'no shipping' MT. I assumed folks were reading the results and forums (and that since rompcat knew they were sending me something thought they must have read the forum).

I made an inaccurate assumption that due to the special nature of having someone haul the games from Portland to Seattle and back again that folks involved in the trade would be reading the forum's updating how the swap was supposed to go down. Rompcat clearly wasn't reading the details of the trade. But I didn't take the time to puzzle out the pm. Mea culpa.

The game in question is not that big of a deal to me, but it is the responsibility of the sender to get me the game. I don't care if it arrives in person, or shipped. But this was a no shipping trade. And in any case, since I'm the receiver, I don't feel I should pay shipping.

And btw, regarding any of the above mentioned commentary, that while the intent is appreciated, was not approved or authorized by my campaign. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
Kris is shipping me the game. Apologies all around for the drama.

Nothing to see here folks, move along...move along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
That was fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One last thing!

I just wanted to iterate that I did not mean to say that TWEETLEBEETLE was at all responsible for ANYTHING having to do with this thread! Tweetlebeetle went above and beyond anything expected of him/her. When I mentioned that I was not sure I'd drop off a game on the express without prior communication, I meant I did not want to saddle tweetlebeetle with a game that might not have someone picking it up . . . NOT THAT TWEETLEBEETLE wasn't trustworthy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Buckingham
United States
Berne
IN
flag msg tools
Watch and learn... - Dr. Who
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rompcat wrote:
One last thing!

I just wanted to iterate that I did not mean to say that TWEETLEBEETLE was at all responsible for ANYTHING having to do with this thread! Tweetlebeetle went above and beyond anything expected of him/her. When I mentioned that I was not sure I'd drop off a game on the express without prior communication, I meant I did not want to saddle tweetlebeetle with a game that might not have someone picking it up . . . NOT THAT TWEETLEBEETLE wasn't trustworthy!

TWEETLEBEETLE RULES!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.