Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent 4 player game the following happened:

One province was left to be decided which currently held 1 yellow and 1 red cube.
The last control marker placed was a blue one.
The common pool was all blue cubes.
The control markers on the board were 3 red, 2 blue and 2 yellow.
I had 5 red cubes and 3 blue. My opponent, Jon, had 4 red cubes, 2 blue and 1 yellow. The other two players held predominantly yellow cubes.
Only one player, Jon, was left with a card and he was reminded of the "must win with last card" rule. He reasoned that if he played the card, placed a blue in the remaining province and a took a red cube which then made the final province fall to the British then this would win the game because we drew on red but 2nd place control was tied so this did not count. It was pointed out that he also played the last card as well, which means he lost. It was also pointed out that there was the "If factions are tied, the winning faction is whichever of the tied factions was the last to gain control of a province" rule but his argument was that this only applied to the 1st placed controlling faction. So, the question is is that correct? Does this rule only apply to 1st placed faction or does it also apply to the 2nd placed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Quote:
If factions are tied, the winning faction is whichever of the tied factions was the last to gain control of a province"

Yes, that is the sense of the (sloppy) written rule. The "last-to-gain-control-tie-breaker" is not only used for the 1st rank, but also for the 2nd ranked faction.

So, in your case, red factions wins, you and Jon are tied on red, so which faction is second-ranked? Blue or yellow? -- It is the one which gained control of a province last. -- If you and Jon would still be tied on this faction, Jon would lose because he played the last card.

One question, I still have though: After having played the last card, every player should have 10 followers. In your example they have only 8. You have 5+3=8, Jon has 4+2+1+his_last_pick=8. -- Did you remember to start the game with 2 followers for every player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One question, I still have though: After having played the last card, every player should have 10 followers. In your example they have only 8. You have 5+3=8, Jon has 4+2+1+his_last_pick=8. -- Did you remember to start the game with 2 followers for every player?

Sorry, did not make it clear. I drew card 4 and Jon was the player to my left so we both started with 1 red and 1 blue. I did not include these in the total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.