Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are now 180+ "frequently asked questions" threads on BGG for Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game. Are there any FFP plans to publish either an official FAQ or update the Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game rules book? If so, can you estimate when?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Watch where you point that thing :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason had said a few months back that there was still one in the works. But nothing yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
David, the FAQ here may not be official, but it's pretty damn thorough, and codifies most of the designer's answers to FAQs.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/27001/LNOE_FAQ_v2...

That's what I use all the time.

Lee Valentine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx, Lee, I use it too, but it is no longer up-to-date. And it is difficult to sort through all of the threads cry . I was just hoping that Jason would chime it with a positive comment like, "it's on our list but we really would rather finish Last Night on Earth: Growing Hunger zombie !" Or, at least, a status update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Lyons
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One word: Cornfield.

Not in the Unofficial FAQ, and not in the Rule book. There's some ramblings and musings on various threads, some mentions about an official FAQ, but nothing concrete. Failsauce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, I've done some search tricks and I think I have found the great majority of Jason's rules posts since the Unofficial FAQ was last updated. As soon as I get a chance I will post my findings.

I have a few more questions of my own that I want answered in any case.

Lee Valentine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hill
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hey Guys,

It is true, we haven't had a chance to post an up-to-date Official FAQ. I do have one in the works, but it had to be put on a back burner while we finished up Growing Hunger and unfortunately it stayed on the back burner when we transitioned into full-time work on 'Game 2' (as yet unannounced). Our schedule is kind of tight and it is hard to find time to get to everything on my 'to do' list, but rest assured that as soon as I get a free moment I will get at least the first pass comprehensive FAQ for LNOE up and running.

For the time being, if you have any lingering rules questions you can use this thread and I will post the official answers.

Thanks for your patience and I really do appreciate your efforts in helping to put together the un-Official FAQ from the Q&A threads here on the BGG.

- Jason

Jason C. Hill
Flying Frog Productions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx for the update, Jason. Does this mean the "The Martins are Coming"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Questions for Jason
Jason, since I reviewed your game for the Ogre Cave Audio Report, I've been demonstrating it at stores regularly. Other than the cards not all being uniformly cut to the same size and some machine damage to the cards in the copy I had, the game is one of the best games to come out of 2007. It does leave some rules questions open to debate, however. Here are just a few that came up from recent playings of the game. Answer them, and I'll keep trying to promote your game in the Boston area.

1) Can a character who cannot "use" an item carry it and hand it off to someone else later who can "use" it? I would say "yes", because the character in question is not "using" the item, merely hanging on to it. Is this correct? I believe it is true because Jason Hill has said, "A Hero only 'uses' a Hand Weapon if they actually utilize it's Combat Bonus."

2) Also, while a Hero character cannot use the same item that another character used in the same Hero Turn, is a "Lighter" actually "used" when it ignites an explosive? Dynamite, for example, doesn't say you "use" the Lighter, merely that the character has to "have" the item. So, I'd say that if there is one lighter and three characters with Dynamite, they could pass the "Lighter" one at a time to each hero in question to ignite their specific dynamite cards, but only one of them could "use" the card to ignore "Lights Out". Is this correct?

3) If a scenario lets a Hero player draw X random cards before the game to divide among the 4 Hero characters and a "Just What I Needed" card is drawn, is that card just a dud in scenarios without scenario search item (since there's nothing in the discard pile yet), or is it reshuffled into the draw pile and replaced with a non-dud card? The scenario "We Have to Go Back" raises such a question, for example.

4) With "Fire Extinguisher", can you choose to move each zombie affected by this card in a different direction? I assume you can.

5) With "Fire Extinguisher", the secondary power allows you to discard "at any time" to move every zombie in the same space one space in any direction. Can you use this power during a fight after dice have been rolled (instead of using the first power)? If so, if a zombie started a fight in your square and moves, does the fight continue? What I'm trying to find out is if the second power needs errata ("discard at any time except during a fight"), or if the first power is totally redundant with the second power.

6) With regards to "Jumper Cables", when you beat a Zombie and move him two spaces, do you have to move him 2 spaces in a SINGLE direction, or can I move him back and then right (kinda like a knight in chess)? I assume you can move the zombie however you want to.

7) With regards to the Cornfield, if the Hero wants to be found, for example Jenny with a Chainsaw, Heroic Rage, and Faith, does a d6 have to be rolled for each zombie that the hero wants to find (or be found by)? In simple terms, does a zombie have to roll to be found by a hero if he wants to be found? And if a hero can choose to be found, does he have to be found by all zombies adjacent to him, or only some?

8) Jason, you have touched upon this question before, but you've resisted coming up with a concrete answer for the last version of the FAQ. People I've demonstrated the game want concrete criteria for determining Line of Sight. Here's what I've come up with. Shoot it down if it's wrong. The weapon fire of Heroes effectively "phases through" walls that they are orthogonally adjacent to. A hero is "adjacent" to any wall if he is orthogonally adjacent to at least one segment of that wall. Is there any circumstance where the following is not true? Line of sight is drawn from the exact center of the Hero's square to the exact center of the target square, passing through any wall the Hero is adjacent to and stopped by any portion of a non-adjacent wall (except a corner formed by the intersection of an adjacent and non-adjacent wall, which also would not block line of sight). Any square which partially intersects this uninterrupted line segment between the attacker and the target square (excluding a line merely tangential to a corner point of a square) is considered within line of sight. I think that, editing aside, this looks like a concrete set of rules which mirrors the diagrams in the rulebook. Is this stuff correct?

BTW -- I'm busy right now, but I will be working on an addendum soon for the unofficial FAQ. I've done a lot of the legwork already. Anything posted in this thread in the next couple of days will go into my addendum.

Regards,
Lee Valentine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Father Joseph's Cancellation Power
Is there any reason he can't try this multiple times on one card if he fails the first time? I don't see any reason why not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FAQ Addenda
I have dreadful vision, so I did the best I could. I need help editing these, since I can barely even see what I'm typing, let alone editing these into a revised FAQ.

I used some search fu and tried to find most of Jason' answers since the last FAQ update. Someone with better vision than me should edit these and compare them to the rulebook and the current FAQ to see what's useful and what ain't.

I actually think a lot of these questions are simply confirming what's on the cards, but many of them are really presenting brand new rules.

Some of these were summarized rather than quoted to make them more intelligible.

--------------------------------

MISCELLANEOUS QUESTIONS

PUBLIC INFORMATION
Are the cards in all discard piles public information?
You can look through any discard pile at any time.

USING ITEMS
Do I have to use my weapons every fight?
You do not have to activate an item just because you could do so.

There's a restriction against using a single item more than once per turn. If it goes to the discard pile and comes back (say a "First Aid Kit" in the Hospital), can I re-use it then? Is it considered the "same" card?
No single copy of an 'Item' card may be used by more than one Hero in the same turn. You MAY use a Pick Up: to get an Item just discarded back, but cannot then use it again this same turn.

VOLUNTARILY DISCARDING ITEMS
A Hero may NOT discard Items or Events unless they have to (or it is part of using the card's text).

HAND SIZE

Does the Hero player have a limit on his hand size for Events? Can you talk about the Zombie player's hand size?

There is no limit on the number of 'Event' cards a Hero Player may have in hand.

Though strictly speaking, there is no stated limit to the Zombie Player's hand of cards, the intent is that they normally have a hand of 4. Some cards (currently only "Oh, the Horror!") allow the Zombie Player to temporarily have more than their normal hand of 4 cards (though, as stated on the card, you must discard back down at the start of the following Zombie Turn).

So you COULD say that the Zombies have a hand limit of 4 cards (which may be temporarily increased through card play). You discard down to your hand limit immediately before the "Draw New Zombie Cards Phase" and then you are allowed to discard one additional card (as per normal rules) just before ou Draw.

LOSS OF TURNS
Becky is in the same space as Johnny. The zombies made both of us miss our turn. Can Becky still heal Johnny's Wound?
Because Becky's First Aid ability happens at the end of the 'Hero Turn', it MAY still be used even if she (and/or the target) lost their individual turns.

For loss of turns, what's the difference between the "Hero turn" and "my turn"?
Any card which refers to the 'Hero Turn' means the whole turn (not the individuals). If a card says 'the turn', it means the whole turn; while if a card says 'their turn' it refers to an individual Hero. The terminology can be a little tricky (and may be reworded for clarity in the future), but anytime something refers to the 'Zombie Turn' or the 'Hero Turn' it means the whole thing. (If anything gets renamed for clarity, it will be the indivdual Hero's sequence of actions).

Can I wait to see how my roll and your roll turns out before deciding to use items and events or do I have to declare them before we roll dice?
You can choose to use (or not use) any weapon's Combat Bonus at any time during a Fight (before dice are rolled, after dice, after another card is played, etc).

DRAWING & PLAY IMMEDIATELY CARDS

If I am about to draw 4 cards (as the zombie player, for example) and the first one is a "play immediately" card, do I wait till I'm finished drawing to play them, or do I have to stop and handle it immediately before I continue drawing?

You draw all cards and then decide what order to play your 'Play Immediately' cards (as stated on p.5).

CANCELLING CARDS & PREVENTION EFFECTS
Can you cancel a "Remains in Play" card after it is already in play? Yes.
Cards that 'Remain in Play' CAN be canceled by Father Joseph (or any other Hero card that reads 'Cancel any Zombie Card'). This is only restricted if a card actually says, "Cancel a card as it is being played." Currently there are no cards that say this, but that is something for the future.

Preventing an action (in this case a wound) always trumps an 'instead of' action (such as with "I Feel Kinda Strange" where instead of taking a wound, the Hero becomes a Zombie Hero). So, if the Wound is prevented, then "I Feel Kinda Strange" cannot be played.

Another example of this is in one of the Growing Hunger preview cards called "The Line is Dead!", the Zombie Player may use the card to cancel a Hero's Search. This would also prevent any action that would be instead of Searching such as using the Pick Up in a building to take a card from the discard pile.

HERO MOVEMENT
What things restrict diagonal movement for heroes?
The only restricted diagonals are the Manor House extended 'Corner Walls' and Doors.

THE MORGUE
Is the Morgue a separate building or is it part of the Hospital?
It's part of the Hospital. Some buildings have smaller, walled-off areas within them, such as the Hospital (in this case, the Morgue). These areas are still part of the larger building as a whole and are only walled-off to affect movement, sight, and for theme. Individual buildings ALWAYS have a Random Number set in one of the corners (1,2,3 etc.).

SELECTING A RANDOM BUILDING
When Heroes/Zombies choose a Random Building, how exactly does it work? They choose the specific building or do they choose the leg and die chooses the building?
When Zombies or Heroes get to 'Choose' the Random Building, they may pick any building on the entire board that they want as long as it is a valid choice - a building that could normally be selected by 'rolling' (i.e., not the Manor House in the "Defend the Manor House" scenario).

END OF TURN
When is the End of the Turn?
The 'End of the Turn' is a little more straight forward.

For the Zombie Turn, it is after you have finished step '6) Place Newly Spawned Zombies'.

For the Heroes, the 'End of the Turn' is after the last Hero has finished their step '4) Fight Zombies' phase.

ZOMBIE-SPECIFIC RULES

ZOMBIE FIGHT CARDS & CANCELLING THEM
When a zombie "Fight:" card is cancelled, does it count as the one card that a zombie player may play during a fight, or may another card be played?

The Cancelled card DOES count as the one Zombie Fight: card pre Fight. This makes the tactical choice of when/if to Cancel cards very important. It also might be worth pointing out that if you play a card to 'Cancel a Fight', that Fight ends without being resolved (no wounds are done). This is another powerful tool the Heroes can get through their cards.

ZOMBIE TURN ORDER
The rulebook says that each Hero takes his turn in the Hero turn fully before another Hero can take his turn. What about zombies? When playing with 2 Zombie players, does each player take their actions separately and comlete them before the other? Or, do both players do action 1 (once), then action 2, 3, etc.? Both Zombie Players have a combined turn (the Sun Track is moved once, both players then draw up, then move etc).

ZOMBIE SPAWNING & NEW ZOMBIE HEROES
A player may only ever 'Spawn' their own Zombies (Green or Brown).

When there are two zombie players and a new Zombie Hero enters play due to the death of someone's last Hero character, which Zombie player controls him?

As to who would get control of them, I would say that if there are two Zombie players, they should roll off. Note that for some effects that don't involve combat like "No... It Can't Be", the card notes that "you" (the player playing the card) controls the new Zombie Hero.

If I play a card that lets me place zombies from my Zombie Pool somewhere and I don't have enough, can I cannibalize zombies of my choice from play to put them into my Zombie Pool? What about when I roll to Spawn new zombies -- can I cannibalize those in play and re-spawn them elsewhere?
Zombies may ONLY be removed from the board and re-placed if a card specifically allows it. The only card in the main game that currently allows that is "There's Too Many!".

Spawing Zombies: When new zombies are spawned (other than the initial starting placement), can you place a zombie on a spawn location that already has one if there is a location with none? For example, I spawn 1 zombie on turn 3. Three of the pits have zombies on them and one is empty. Do I have to place my spawned zombie on the empty pit? Does this apply if the pits have my co-player's zombies on them but not mine?

When you place newly spawned Zombies, you must evenly distribute YOUR Zombies for THIS turn between all of the Spawning Pits (even if there are existing Zombies in those spaces). In other words, if you are placing 4 or fewer Zombies they will all have to be on different spawning Pits from each other - that is the only restriction.

ZOMBIE MOVEMENT & ZOMBIE HUNGER
Can I move my partner's zombies?
It's important to remember that a Zombie Player may only move their own color of Zombies.

Is Zombie Movement mandatory?
Zombies never have to move unless affected by Zombie Hunger (adjacent to a Hero).

Is Zombie Hunger in effect during my move or only just before my move? For example, let's say my Zombie Hero rolls a 3 for movement and does not start within one space of a Hero. He wants to get at Hero B, three spaces away from the Zombie Hero, but to do so he'll have to move adjacent to Hero A on his first space of movement. Does he get stuck attacking Hero A if he passes adjacent to him mid-move, or is zombie hunger checked only right before I move?

You may always roll and then decide how far to move or if you want to move at all. Keep in mind that 'Zombie Hunger' (having to move into an adjacent Hero's space if you can) is always in affect - even during your move. In this way you can't Shamble past a closer Hero to get to one that is farther away (unless you can avoid moving adjacent to the closer one).

HERO CHARACTER QUESTIONS

"Sheriff Anderson"
When Sheriff Anderson comes into play mid-game and there is no Revolver left in the Hero deck, is he just out of luck and minus one Revolver?
If there's a Revolver in the Hero deck, then he takes it from the Hero deck then re-shuffles. If there are none left in the Hero deck, take one from the discard pile. If there's not one in either place, then he's out of luck and down one Revolver.

HERO CARD QUESTIONS

"Blocked Windows"
How does Zombie Hunger interact with "Blocked Windows" and a Hero on the other side of the wall?
If a Zombie can't reach an adjacent Hero for some reason (say Blocked Windows is in play), the Zombie may move normally (ignoring the Zombie Hunger caused by that unreachable Hero).

I know "Blocked Windows" prevents zombies from entering through the walls, what about spawning?
Blocked Windows only prevents Zombies from moving through walls, it doesn't prevent them from spawning inside or being placed directly in your space by zombie card effects.

"Gasoline"
Can you spill gasoline then set it on fire all in the same turn?
Yes. That is in fact the most effective way to use the gasoline.

"Heroic Resolve"
There were 2 zombies on Jenny and she got "Heroic Resolve" played on her. She killed the zombies. What happens to "Heroic Resolve"?
Nothing. Once "Heroic Resolve" is played on a character, the chacter continues to get the extra die regardless of the number of zombies in her/his square (at least until the character searches or another card is played that causes it to be discarded).

"TJ Thoroughbred" (Promo Card)
Can you play TJ Thoroughbred right after you've moved to use the special movement power again?
T.J. can be used at ANY time, including after you have just Searched or Moved. It can also be used to move away from a Fight if things are looking bad (if either the Zombie or Hero leaves the space before the Fight has been Resolved, the Fight is automatically canceled).

"Meat Cleaver"
The "Meat Cleaver" says Zombies are Killed on a 6. What if the
Zombie player rolls a 6 and then through card play gets a 7?
The Zombie player could play a card, but because a 6 was rolled with the Meat Cleaver it is still an instant kill, regardless of the zombie's rolled dice and modifiers.

"Revolver" & "Pump Shotgun"
When you check to see if a gun is out of ammo, is that considered a "break test"?

Guns do NOT make Break Tests, they just have the possibility to run out of ammo and be discarded.

"Pump Shotgun"
How do you roll for Shotgun? Is it 1D6 for each model rolled together to represent the shotgun blast, then the ammo check? Or is it 1D6 rolled separately for each model followed by ammo check?
Shotgun lets you roll individually to hit every Zombie in a single space and then roll once afterward to see if the gun is out of ammo (think of it as a buckshot blast).

ZOMBIE CARD QUESTIONS

"Oh, the Horror"
When discarding down to your hand size because you are still over from having used "Oh, the Horror" cards can you discard an additional card in order to draw at least one, or can you only discard down to your card limit?

You may discard down to your hand limit BEFORE the 'Draw New Zombie Cards' phase, and then discard up to one card and draw back up during the phase.

"Overconfidence"
I know that the Zombie card "Overconfidence" prevents me from moving, but can I Search still?
'Overconfidence' prevents actual movement, but does not prevent other 'Move Actions' (such as Searching or Healing for a Hero with the 'Youth' ability).

"Overconfidence" seems this card stays with the hero even if they win a fight. When is the +4 roll to discard the card made?
You only roll to get rid of Overconfidence when you lose a Fight (as soon as a Fight is Resolved in which the Hero lost). It does not matter if the Hero is actually wounded or not. You could, for instance, play 'Just a Scratch' to prevent the wound and still get to roll to see if Overconfidence is discarded on the roll of 4+ for losing the Fight.

"My God, They've Taken the..."
Regarding, "I've got to get to...", if I'm supposed to get to the Barn and the Barn gets "Taken Over" preventing my entry, then what am I supposed to do?
This is answered on the card itself. If the building is made unavailable to the Hero, then you must re-roll to determine a new building for the Hero to get to.

Can you cancel "My God, They've Taken the..." after it is already in play? If so, what happens?
As a general rule, a card may not be canceled after it has caused dice to be rolled (or re-rolled). For example, with regards to "My God, They've Taken the...", you could either cancel the card before the Random Building has been rolled, or wait until the card has fully been played (placing Zombies etc); then once the card is left on the table as 'Remains in Play', cancel it. This would remove the Taken Over marker but leave the new Zombies in play.

When the zombie card "They've Taken Over The..." card is played, can a hero already inside the building remain inside the building and continue to take non-search actions (like destroying a spawning pit in the Burn Them Out scenario)?

The only restrictions (as listed on "They've Take Over The..") are that you can't Enter the building and, if already there, you can't search. This does not preclude you from moving around the building and in this scenario, destroying the spawn pit.

REMOVING ZOMBIES FROM THE BOARD
"There's Too Many!"

If a card (such as "There's Too Many!") tells me to Spawn new zombies and my Zombie Pool is empty can my partner Spawn instead? Also, with this card can I only remove my own zombies from the table? What about my teammate's zombies?

The card "There's Too Many!" allows the Zombie Player that plays it to Spawn D6 new Zombies. A player may only ever 'Spawn' their own Zombies (Green or Brown). It also allows a player to "remove them from anywhere on the board if there are not enough in play." The ability to remove them from anywhere on the board if there are not enough out of play only allows you to remove your own Zombies (the intent is that you will be re-Spawning the removed Zombies and you can only 'Spawn' your own Zombies).

"Rotten Bodies"

With two Zombie Players, if I play "Rotten Bodies" and roll a 6, but have only 1 of my own Zombies on the table, do I just remove that one, or do I try to remove 5 of my partner's zombies from the table?

With 'Rotten Bodies', the Zombie Player that plays the card rolls a D6 and removes that many Zombies from any of the Zombies on the board, returning them to the appropriate Zombie Pool. This can be any mix of your Zombies and your teammate's Zombies. Then, NO Zombies can be killed until the start of the next Zombie Turn.

COMBAT QUESTIONS

RANGED WEAPONS
Can I use a Ranged Weapon during a Fight?
Ranged Weapons like the Revolver may not be used in a Fight (Hand-to-Hand), only during the Hero's Ranged Attack phase. Items that are meant to be used during a Fight have a 'Combat Bonus' (these are pretty much always Hand Weapons). Note that Events may be played anytime unless stated otherwise on the card.

DEATH OF A HERO DURING FIGHTS
If there are 3 zombies in the square with Billy and Jenny on the zombie turn, and we decide two will attack Billy (who is Wounded) and one will Attack Jenny, if Billy is killed by the first zombie attack, what happens to the second one assigned to him?
The Zombie/Hero pairings are decided on first, then each of them is resolved. If a Hero dies before all of their Fights are complete, the remaining Zombies that Hero was supposed to Fight do not fight anyone (they spend the time feeding on the dead Hero).

My last character (Billy) just died and turned into a Zombie Hero during the Zombie Turn. Does he immediately turn and attack Jenny, my teammate's character who was in the same space?
When a Hero or Zombie Hero enters play mid-game, they do not participate in the current phase of the turn. In this case, the Zombie Turn 'Fight Heroes' phase. Therefore, the new Zombie Hero does NOT get to fight.

If a character dies through self-sacrifice (dynamite, etc.) during the Black Zone time on the time tracker, does he become a Zombie Hero?
This is a bit of a grey area. By the letter of the rules, the Hero would still become a Zombie Hero even if their last wound was self-inflicted. Note that a card like "I'll See You in Hell" fully removes the figure from the board so he does not become a Zombie Hero in that instance.

FIGHT TIMING & RESOLUTION
When does a fight end? Can you talk about timing of card plays during the fight?
See p. 15 of the rules
"Resolving the Fight - A Fight is only resolved after all players have decided not to use any more cards or abilities."

1) Fight Begins (between 1 Hero and 1 Zombie)
2) Both Hero and Zombie roll Fight Dice
3) Both players have the chance to use cards/abilities/etc.
4) Both players agree they are finished playing Fight cards
5) Fight is Resolved - comparing highest individual Fight Dice for each
6) Cards that affect resolution (such as how you read the Fight Dice are played, e.g., "Get Back You Devils")
7) Effects to Prevent Wounds are played
8) Wounds are Dealt
9) Cards that can be played when a character is Wounded are played (e.g., "I Feel Kinda Strange")

As far as who gets to play cards first during the Fight, it really doesn't matter much because only the player who is currently losing is likely to want to play a card. Players can continue to play cards/use abilities until both players decide to stop, only then is the Fight Resolved.

SCENARIO QUESTIONS AND ERRATA

"Burn 'Em Out"
If there's a zombie on a Spawning Pit in the "Burn 'Em Out" Scenario and I destroy the pit with "Dynamite" using the special scenario rules, does it damage the zombie standing on the Spawning Pit?
In Burn 'Em Out, using an Explosive to destroy a Spawning Pit works differently than the normal uses for Explosives. Just throwing Dynamite at a Spawning Pit will not destroy it. You can think of giving up your turn as planting the Explosives in strategic spots in order to destroy the pit. Destroying a Pit has no affect on Zombies (or Heroes) in the same or adjacent spaces, regardless of what Explosive is being used.

In the "Burn 'Em Out" scenario, how can the Heroes win if the zombies take over 2 buildings that have 2 of the 4 spawning pits?
This is a dangerous situation that can crop up. If it happens, the Heroes need to find a card to Cancel a Zombie Card (there are several of these in the deck), use Father Joseph's Strength of Spirit, or hope for a New Spawning Pit to show up. It is pretty uncommon for this to happen, and pretty much always takes care of itself (through one of the above mentioned methods of getting around it). I have yet to see the Heroes lose because all of the remaining Spawning Pits were Taken Over for the rest of the game.

"Defend the Manor House"
I'm playing the "Defend the Manor House" scenario and there are 6 zombies in the building and 3 more outside of it. The 3 outside can freely move into the building, however, let's say that 1 zombie inside the building must leave due to zombie hunger. Do I move the 3 in and declare victory (with 9 zombies inside) or do I move the 1 out first and then the 3 in (leaving me with just 8 zombies inside and no victory to declare)?

There is a general rules clarification that All Zombies must move using Zombie Hunger (if it applies to them) before any other Zombies move normally. The Defend the Manor House objectives are a great example of why this is important.

Can I play "Lights Out" on the Manor House?
'Lights Out' MAY be played on the Manor House because it is a Building (even though it may not be chosen for a Random Building).

"All Hallows Eve" Omissions
The scenario should have included the following text in the Special Rules Townsfolk section:

"A building with a Townsfolk counter currently in it (including the Zombie Master), may not be Taken Over. If this would happen, re-roll as normal."

Also under the Zombie Master entry it should read:
"Once discovered, the Zombie Master immediately counts as a Zombie Hero in every way with 2 Health Boxes (use the evil Townsfolk’s counter to represent the Zombie Master on the board and the evil Townsfolk’s Hero Card to place wound markers on). The only exception to this is that the Zombie Master may not enter buildings that are Taken Over (his last vestiges of humanity prevent it). Note that... "

Also, the Book in the scenario is NOT destroyed by an exploding Gas Marker etc. It is magical afterall. The Book may only be destroyed by having a Fire Item and the Book and giving up your turn to burn it. Think of it as a ritual you have to perform to destroy the evil of the Book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Couple of questions I didn't see in the FAQ. Some of these are asking for confirmation of what I think as my group is having some disagreements.

1) With a "This Can't Be Happening!" card, does the Zombie player HAVE to play the card or can he/she decide not to if the heroes bunch up?

In other words, if the heroes bunch up and the card is played, then the card is discarded. If the Zombie player sees them bunching up, can they just choose not to play that card until one hero breaks away? Can the Zombie player do that or can the heroes force the discard by bunching up?

2) "I Feel Kinda Strange" -- Nurse Becky takes one of her two allowable wounds; the Zombie player plays this card. Next time she is wounded -- even though that wouldn't normally kill her -- she is turned into a Zombie Hero. Correct?

3) Can zombies move diagonally through walls? So if a zombie is in a corner of a building, can they move diagonally outside? Seems unrealistic to me but the rules seem to allow it. Using my crappy diagaram below, seems to me that the zombie in space 4 would have to move through space 2 or 3 to get to space 1. How do you move through a corner?

1_2__
3|4

4) "A Town Overrun" -- these discarded cards ARE available for "pickup", yes?

5) "I've Got to Get to the..." -- The player who this is played on may not 'pick up' in addition to not searching (as pick up is a search activity), correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unofficial Answers to Kurt's Questions
I am NOT the official rules, czar here, Kurt, however some of your questions are answered in the rulebook or explicitly on the cards that you are asking questions of.

1) This is probably your best question. Except for play immediately cards, I believe that all Event cards are fully optional to play at all times. Timing constraints on the card are telling you when they CAN be played, and not saying that you MUST play them at that time as soon as humanly possible. However, this is something that probably needs official clarification. Jason, is all Event card play optional? Probably, except for "Play Immediately" cards.

2) Becky has to cancel that card before she takes another wound or she becomes a Zombie Hero. Further, once "I Feel Kinda Strange" is on her even healing her completely won't help her -- the next Wound she takes makes her a zombie hero. If you can "Prevent" the next wound she is due to take, that will temporarily save her from becoming a zombie (since she doesn't take any wound that is prevented), but the only way to really save her in the long run is to make sure she never takes another wound, or else to just cancel this card (with Father Joseph's power, for example). Your question assumes that the situation might be different if Becky were somehow on here last wound, but it wouldn't be, because "I Feel Kinda Strange" says Becky becomes a Zombie Hero "instead" of taking the Wound, so she will never "die" according to game rules (i.e., her wound boxes won't ever fill up as a Hero), but she is just instead instantly converted to a zombie hero. This is pretty obvious from the card, and more obvious from the FAQ (which contains Jason's answer about this card and healing wounds).

3) In p. 10, two back to back sentences note first that zombies can move in any direction (even diagonally), and second that they can freely move through walls. I think this is very clear straight from the rules -- zombies can also move diagonally through the corners of the walls, since they can move diagonally and can move through walls.

4) Any card that both has an associated board "Pick Up" site and is currently in the Hero Discard Pile is eligible for "Pick Up". The rules on "Pick Ups" do not exclude any card that's in the Hero Discard Pile as being eligible for "Pick Up" so long as there's a site to fetch the card from (like the "Flare Gun" and the "Airplane Hangar"). Some zombie cards (like "There's No Time, Leave It!", can remove a Hero card from the game entirely. In that instance, it's clearly not in the Hero Discard Pile -- it is completely outside of the game, and thus presumably inaccessible by any means.

5) The example on p. 6 of the rules notes that "Pick Up" applies to a character conducting a Search. By definition, if you can't "Search" then you can't "Pick Up".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:
I am NOT the official rules, czar here, Kurt, however some of your questions are answered in the rulebook or explicitly on the cards that you are asking questions of.

1) This is probably your best question. Except for play immediately cards, I believe that all Event cards are fully optional to play at all times. Timing constraints on the card are telling you when they CAN be played, and not saying that you MUST play them at that time as soon as humanly possible. However, this is something that probably needs official clarification. Jason, is all Event card play optional? Probably, except for "Play Immediately" cards.

2) Becky has to cancel that card before she takes another wound or she becomes a Zombie Hero. Further, once "I Feel Kinda Strange" is on her even healing her completely won't help her -- the next Wound she takes makes her a zombie hero. If you can "Prevent" the next wound she is due to take, that will temporarily save her from becoming a zombie (since she doesn't take any wound that is prevented), but the only way to really save her in the long run is to make sure she never takes another wound, or else to just cancel this card (with Father Joseph's power, for example). Your question assumes that the situation might be different if Becky were somehow on here last wound, but it wouldn't be, because "I Feel Kinda Strange" says Becky becomes a Zombie Hero "instead" of taking the Wound, so she will never "die" according to game rules (i.e., her wound boxes won't ever fill up as a Hero), but she is just instead instantly converted to a zombie hero. This is pretty obvious from the card, and more obvious from the FAQ (which contains Jason's answer about this card and healing wounds).

3) In p. 10, two back to back sentences note first that zombies can move in any direction (even diagonally), and second that they can freely move through walls. I think this is very clear straight from the rules -- zombies can also move diagonally through the corners of the walls, since they can move diagonally and can move through walls.

4) Any card that both has an associated board "Pick Up" site and is currently in the Hero Discard Pile is eligible for "Pick Up". The rules on "Pick Ups" do not exclude any card that's in the Hero Discard Pile as being eligible for "Pick Up" so long as there's a site to fetch the card from (like the "Flare Gun" and the "Airplane Hangar"). Some zombie cards (like "There's No Time, Leave It!", can remove a Hero card from the game entirely. In that instance, it's clearly not in the Hero Discard Pile -- it is completely outside of the game, and thus presumably inaccessible by any means.

5) The example on p. 6 of the rules notes that "Pick Up" applies to a character conducting a Search. By definition, if you can't "Search" then you can't "Pick Up".

Thanks, Lee. Some of my group insisted that I seek clarification on BGG. And just so you know that I wasn't being lazy in asking these questions, here's where they came from:

1) I tried to force the Zombie player to discard and that's how this question came up.

2) The language does state this clearly; where we got confused was (over) thinking that a character had to die before they could become a zombie.

3) OK, I admit this one's mine. I know it says they move diagonally, it just doesn't seem right to me. A player can shoot through a corner or around a corner, but, well, I explained my thoughts on moving through a corner.

4) The Zombie player argued that if the pump shotgun had not been in the game, how could it be "picked up"? A fair question.

5) We resolved this one ourselves. D'uh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hill
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:
1) Can a character who cannot "use" an item carry it and hand it off to someone else later who can "use" it?

Yes. Any Hero may carry any item (at least with all of the current Heroes and Items in the game). To 'Use' an Item means to use it's game text or to use it for a scenario specific purpose.

For instance, Father Joseph may not use Guns himself, but he is more than happy to run around town with an armload of shotguns passing them out.

hudarklord wrote:
2) Also, while a Hero character cannot use the same item that another character used in the same Hero Turn, is a "Lighter" actually "used" when it ignites an explosive? Dynamite, for example, doesn't say you "use" the Lighter, merely that the character has to "have" the item. So, I'd say that if there is one lighter and three characters with Dynamite, they could pass the "Lighter" one at a time to each hero in question to ignite their specific dynamite cards, but only one of them could "use" the card to ignore "Lights Out". Is this correct?

Technically, 'using' an Item includes the use of any card text, Keywords, symbols etc on that card. In the case of the Keyword 'Fire' Item to light Dynamite, the Hero is 'using' the Keyword. (Also, thematically, it is obvious that the Hero is using the Lighter). By the letter of the rule, two Heroes would NOT be able to use the same Lighter to light Dynamite in the same turn.

Now obviously this is a little bit grey, so unless your group is particularly hard-nosed about such things, I don't think that it would drastically off balance anything (as opposed to say the First Aid Kit being Picked-Up multiple times per turn in the Hospital).

hudarklord wrote:
3) If a scenario lets a Hero player draw X random cards before the game to divide among the 4 Hero characters and a "Just What I Needed" card is drawn, is that card just a dud in scenarios without scenario search item (since there's nothing in the discard pile yet), or is it reshuffled into the draw pile and replaced with a non-dud card?

In this case, you would use the last line of the first portion of 'Just What I Needed'. It reads, "If there are no cards in the discard pile, you may draw a new Hero Card."

hudarklord wrote:
4) With "Fire Extinguisher", can you choose to move each zombie affected by this card in a different direction? I assume you can.

That is correct.

hudarklord wrote:
5) With "Fire Extinguisher", the secondary power allows you to discard "at any time" to move every zombie in the same space one space in any direction. Can you use this power during a fight after dice have been rolled (instead of using the first power)? If so, if a zombie started a fight in your square and moves, does the fight continue? What I'm trying to find out is if the second power needs errata ("discard at any time except during a fight"), or if the first power is totally redundant with the second power.

The second portion of 'Fire Extinguisher' should read "except during a Fight".

hudarklord wrote:
6) With regards to "Jumper Cables", when you beat a Zombie and move him two spaces, do you have to move him 2 spaces in a SINGLE direction, or can I move him back and then right (kinda like a knight in chess)? I assume you can move the zombie however you want to.

Correct. The Hero may move the Zombie however they wish, even through walls (think of it as the Zombie is blown back by the electric shock).

hudarklord wrote:
7) With regards to the Cornfield, if the Hero wants to be found, for example Jenny with a Chainsaw, Heroic Rage, and Faith, does a d6 have to be rolled for each zombie that the hero wants to find (or be found by)? In simple terms, does a zombie have to roll to be found by a hero if he wants to be found? And if a hero can choose to be found, does he have to be found by all zombies adjacent to him, or only some?

With the Cornfield, it is ALWAYS the Hero's choice as to whether they want to hide or not (force the Zombie to roll to find them). Zombies can't use the Cornfield to 'Hide' from Heroes.

hudarklord wrote:
8) Jason, you have touched upon this question before, but you've resisted coming up with a concrete answer for the last version of the FAQ. People I've demonstrated the game want concrete criteria for determining Line of Sight. Here's what I've come up with. Shoot it down if it's wrong. The weapon fire of Heroes effectively "phases through" walls that they are orthogonally adjacent to. A hero is "adjacent" to any wall if he is orthogonally adjacent to at least one segment of that wall. Is there any circumstance where the following is not true? Line of sight is drawn from the exact center of the Hero's square to the exact center of the target square, passing through any wall the Hero is adjacent to and stopped by any portion of a non-adjacent wall (except a corner formed by the intersection of an adjacent and non-adjacent wall, which also would not block line of sight). Any square which partially intersects this uninterrupted line segment between the attacker and the target square (excluding a line merely tangential to a corner point of a square) is considered within line of sight. I think that, editing aside, this looks like a concrete set of rules which mirrors the diagrams in the rulebook. Is this stuff correct?

This sounds fairly accurate, but I shudder to think what a new player would do if you tried to present it in such a 'stereo instructions' clinical way. In most cases, the second you start using words like 'orthagonal', new player's eyes will glaze over. I will try to have more clean diagrams in the Official FAQ that help to further illustrate the point without getting too wordy.

For the time being, feel free to use your above definition when explaining it to experienced wargamers (you might try something a little more user-friendly when introducing new players/non-gamers though). ;>

hudarklord wrote:
Is there any reason he can't try this multiple times on one card if he fails the first time? I don't see any reason why not.

Father Joseph may use his Strength of Spirit ability multiple times to try and cancel the same card (be careful though, this has lead to his untimely demise more times than I can count).

Hope that helps clear a few things up.

- Jason

Jason C. Hill
Flying Frog Productions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jason. That covers a lot of ground. Some of these should definitely go in an official FAQ.

BTW, the definition I gave, while clinical, is absolutely trivial to use. You drop down a ruler or a string, and it immediately crosses over every square that you can hit unambiguously.

I played with some wargamers recently, and they were in a building adjacent to one wall, but not another, and were trying to determine which squares were within Line of Sight. They wanted an explanation instead of a diagram. Diagrams are useful 90% of them. Explanations clear up the other 10% for wargamers, at least.

Thanks for your answers.

Hopefully the grunt work I did combing through Jason's past posts will help folks move forward playing LNOE. One of my favorite games.

And hopefully that work will help Jason prepare an official FAQ without having to look through months of posts himself.

Lee Valentine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance on an updated FAQ that includes timber peak?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:
David, the FAQ here may not be official, but it's pretty damn thorough, and codifies most of the designer's answers to FAQs.

Lee Valentine

Does anyone know where I can find this unofficial faq?. It was a huge help, but it seems to be gone.

EDIT:
NEVERMIND I FOUND IT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Luiz Fuzaro
Brazil
São Mateus
Espírito Santo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Demon Jim wrote:
hudarklord wrote:

Lee Valentine

Does anyone know where I can find this unofficial faq?. It was a huge help, but it seems to be gone.

EDIT:
NEVERMIND I FOUND IT

Where did you found it ??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.