Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes when I try to Google someone, the search comes up completely empty. I cannot understand this. A simple Google search of my name (in quotes) reveals 3 pages of entries. A few link to my blog, which used to have my name in the title. The rest deal with high school reunions, my participation in an undergrad science society, my meager publications, and logs of the Ultimate teams on which I played.

How do you just slip through Google's fingers? Surely SOME reference to your person exists out there by now...marriage announcements, some dumbshit newsletter from work, ANYTHING. One person owns his own business...and nothing comes up.

So either there IS a way of maintaining a state of unGoogle, or I'm misoverestimating the power of Google to scour the four corners of the web.

I await your scorn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a real good reason they're called imaginary friends. Just play with them and forget about Google.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
A simple Google search of my name (in quotes) reveals 3 pages of entries.

I've googled myself before, and it turns out I'm the Republican majority leader in the North Dakota House of Representatives.

It's odd that a certain person doesn't show up. You can add a tag to your Web server that disallows Google from gathering data on that site. If someone runs a business with a Web site, there is no reason to do that though. Does this person run a "shady" business? Otherwise, it just may be a case that this person hasn't done anything that's ended up on the Web.

Did you try something like zoominfo.com or linkedin? Sometimes that works.

I knew a guy who ran a shady business. He sold patio umbrellas. Nice guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my own Training and Consulting website, as well as a job at Brown University.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ross
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a common name like "John Smith".

Or a name of someone famous like a Cherokee Chief.

Or a name of lots of famous people.

Then you get buried in noise... I like it this way. I value my privacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I have a remarkably common name, so there's wide uncertainty as to whether any data that comes up is about me or not. Even better, there are plenty of people who have my first and last name combination in varying orders, or as middle and last names.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Scott-Pokey really that common?

It's easy to eliminate noise by searching specifically. I know, for example that a certain person has never lived outside of the greater St. Louis area, as well as his profession and still there's nothing. This is a person who is approximately in his late thirties, and has a college education. Nothing.

That's the baffling part to me...that I can enter a search with a person's name and a state and a vague job-related descriptor (or high school name or hobby or whatever), and get 0 of 0 responses from the Google bot. Not even a "Did you mean...?" option. Not even noise.

I have a friend in South Carolina who has visited my website, and my stat counter doesn't even pick her up. I tried Googling her because of this (her name is fairly common + south carolina) and got like 5 responses, none of which was her. I asked her how she did it, and she has no idea.

The idea of being anonymous on the web is an attractive one, but you can't be anonymous by being buried in noise. The identity industry knows you're there. I can't figure how someone can live an active, professional life without ever having their name appear in print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
I know, for example that a certain person has never lived outside of the greater St. Louis area

Oh, dear. That's probably the reason right there. They don't have the internets in St. Louis. Just kidding, of course. I am a proud St. Louisan. Well, I do live outside the greater St. Louis area. I lived there as a child and teen, and there wasn't any internet available. Probably because it was 1985. Heck, I didn't even have cable television. Channel 30 became scrambled and showed "adult" features after 10 o'clock though. Sometimes the scrambling wasn't that good.

Ah, St. Louis. I miss Ted Drewes frozen custard and Imo's pizza.

What was the question again? Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louise Holden
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've wondered this exact thing myself. I think that huge sections of people's lives do sidestep the web completely, even these days. If your activities tend to be passive rather than active, or individual rather than interactive, there's no reason why you should turn up at all, This tends to be disguised by the fact that those people who do have a profile, tend to have one for a number of reasons.

Incidentally I particularly like page 4 for my name on Google which has me petitioning and praying to the House of Lords. What I like best about it is that it is actually referring to me- a legal case I was briefly involved in years ago on a professional basis wended its way onwards through the legal process with my name attached even though I'd moved on to other things :-) Names are funny things- they definitely get away from you on the net. My Union newspaper has just had an article on checking your Google profile to make sure you don't get sacked for bringing your employer into disrepute :-( I'd like to see them try (actually I wouldn't - it would be very stressful even if I won).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Try finding information on 'James Davis'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22James+Davis%22++%22O...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
puckhead wrote:
slowcorner wrote:
I know, for example that a certain person has never lived outside of the greater St. Louis area

Oh, dear. That's probably the reason right there. They don't have the internets in St. Louis. Just kidding, of course. I am a proud St. Louisan. Well, I do live outside the greater St. Louis area. I lived there as a child and teen, and there wasn't any internet available. Probably because it was 1985. Heck, I didn't even have cable television. Channel 30 became scrambled and showed "adult" features after 10 o'clock though. Sometimes the scrambling wasn't that good.

Without the nostalgia factor, I doubt you'd end up enjoying Ted Drewes that much. It might be a St Louis institution, but the taste and texture just aren't there.

And yes, most people don't have much of a web presence, and many of those that do might not attach it to their real name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently, I'm a fictional character on the soap opera Passions. Which I've never seen and couldn't even tell you what it's about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jojo Conwell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think you are overestimating the ubiquity of the Internet.

The only links about myself are ones that I have created, like a profile. And those I can only find when I put in my state.

I have done lots of public things and I have a resonably unique name. I have even designed websites and put my name on them, but they are not there now. Pages on the Internet are not forever.

I can find my internet ID pretty well, josephc4, since I have many profiles that use it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
puckhead wrote:
slowcorner wrote:

Without the nostalgia factor, I doubt you'd end up enjoying Ted Drewes that much. It might be a St Louis institution, but the taste and texture just aren't there.

And yes, most people don't have much of a web presence, and many of those that do might not attach it to their real name.

Doghouse Ballpark Village. Now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am a dead microbiologist game-designer Linux-using cryptographer and WW2 naval veteran that dabbles in RPG art and publishes scholarly works on lubricants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a more unusual name you stick out more. As either Christopher Dearlove or Chris Dearlove (like most Christophers I go by both) I'm 7 out of Google's first 10 hits (and a lot more thereafter).

But the most Googleproof (I didn't make that word up) name is, I'm told, Harry Potter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.