Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just opened this game after years of not playing it and played a game last night with 3 newbies. Overall, they really liked the game and the options that can be made in terms of individual strategies.

But some questions came up:

1) If there is a territory owned by the US and it doesn't have any combat units in it, an invader must still declare a combat by placing a combat token in that space during declare battles phase, if the invader wants to occupy that zone. Right?

He can't just move into a blank spot on 1st or 2nd movement if he hasn't declared it, correct?

And then is it during 2nd movement that the invader would move into that open zone and take it for himself?

----------------

2) Also, i know that it tells you to roll your battle dice all together in terms of type. Does that mean you roll all the reds together, all the whites, and then all the blues?

...or do they mean roll of the soldiers, then all the mechanized, then all the air?

----------------

3) bombers can attack from adjacent zones, or if there is the 5 unit limit in the adjacent zone already, can attack from within (above) the battle zone. Yes? What is the maximum number of bombers allowed within a battle zone?

Can a bomber land in a newly claimed area on 2nd movement, or can they only land in already owned spot?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
asgelb wrote:
I just opened this game after years of not playing it and played a game last night with 3 newbies. Overall, they really liked the game and the options that can be made in terms of individual strategies.

But some questions came up:

1) If there is a territory owned by the US and it doesn't have any combat units in it, an invader must still declare a combat by placing a combat token in that space during declare battles phase, if the invader wants to occupy that zone. Right?
Correct.

asgelb wrote:
He can't just move into a blank spot on 1st or 2nd movement if he hasn't declared it, correct?
Correct again.

asgelb wrote:
And then is it during 2nd movement that the invader would move into that open zone and take it for himself?
Correct, unless the *Special 1st Move* being conducted BY a "Helicopter(s)" ONLY, were being performed, since they are allowed to "Move Into" that.

asgelb wrote:
----------------

2) Also, i know that it tells you to roll your battle dice all together in terms of type. Does that mean you roll all the reds together, all the whites, and then all the blues?
shake NO.

asgelb wrote:
...or do they mean roll of the soldiers, then all the mechanized, then all the air?
surprise Yes, on this 2nd portion where you ROLL all of the same 'types' dices together. You shall begin with your "Air" and apply the RESULTS, then with the "Mechanized", and finally your "Infantry" types.

asgelb wrote:
----------------

3) bombers can attack from adjacent zones, or if there is the 5 unit limit in the adjacent zone already, can attack from within (above) the battle zone. Yes? What is the maximum number of bombers allowed within a battle zone?
Yes, and '5'.

asgelb wrote:
Can a bomber land in a newly claimed area on 2nd movement, or can they only land in already owned spot?

Thanks!
Yes, the 'Bomber' can LAND in any Newly "claimed" Area. Also *Note* that any "Area" that is 'Attacked' ONLY by 'Bombers', is ineligible to become "Claimed", even if there WERE some NON-'Bomber' types initially 'involved', but were subsequently "Eliminated" during the course of events. This means that even adjacent "Friendly" Units next to the affected "Area", can't MOVE into there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grogs, thanks! You're always there to help out!

One other thing...I roll a die and score a hit...It is I that chooses my enemys casualties, correct? As long as I stay within the order of casualty restrictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
asgelb wrote:
Grogs, thanks! You're always there to help out!

One other thing...I roll a die and score a hit...It is I that chooses my enemys casualties, correct? As long as I stay within the order of casualty restrictions.
Not really on that, since you'll designate what KIND it is they have to 'take', while THEY will select from any of theirs that are so "affected", where more than a single "AREA" contains these 'types' chosen as "Casualties". Another thing to remember, is that were ALL of the "Enemy's" forces to be afflicted by the "Die Rolls" from the firings of certain 'types'-(i.e. "Air" or "Mech"), thereby leaving NONE to be fired upon by any remaining "Attackers", then those just won't be conducting theirs as a result for this. Also, HITS take precedence over RETREAT/DISENGAGED "results".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so you're saying I tell the player which i want dead (be it foot, mech or air) but he chooses the exact one?

So if i say destroy an air unit, and he has in one zone a heli and a bomber he can select any of those to remove (and he'd probably remove the heli before a bomber)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
asgelb wrote:
so you're saying I tell the player which i want dead (be it foot, mech or air) but he chooses the exact one?
Yes

asgelb wrote:
So if i say destroy an air unit, and he has in one zone a heli and a bomber he can select any of those to remove (and he'd probably remove the heli before a bomber)
Not entirely, while YOU can actually "Select" which 'type' is to become "affected"! So, were you to 'score' a HIT and have a CHOICE in the matter, THEN you can designate whether something to become "extracted", is a *specific* KIND. That means you can state WHAT this were, and be clear on the matter for it as well, then they CHOOSE from amongst theirs for that. In your example, then you could 'declare' that a "Bomber" were to become HIT, and they'd have to REMOVE this.

Also *Note*: Where a 'Unit' that suffers a RETREAT/DISENGAGED "Result", then you can use its FULL "2nd Movement" 'rate' in which to have it conduct this. For the "Attackers" with their 'Units', then they're just flipped onto their "side" within the "Area" that these are currently located with any DISENGAGED "Result". The exception is for "Bombers" that are overhead or within the same "Area" as the "Defender", in which case those can "fly away" using their FULL "2nd Movement", but they'll be unable to MOVE again, so keep that in mind for anything on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.