Subject: RGG Big Box Farmer Scoring (AGAIN!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Wisner
United States
Plainville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
So I am finally taking the plunge and posting here for the first time. I just received the RGG Big Box a few days ago and was looking for clarification on some scoring rules when I stumbled upon several threads discussing 1st edition vs. 3rd edition farm scoring. I also read the annotated rules by Matthew Harper (Great job by the way), and I just wanted to make the point that the RGG Big Box rules seem to use the 3rd edition farm scoring methodology but the point value is 4 points per completed city as opposed to 3 points per completed city in the German version. That is to say, the RGG Big Box rules do allow for a single farm to supply several cities and for a single city to be supplied by several farms. Perhaps the most recent version of the base game by RGG does use 1st edition scoring, but it looks to me like the Big Box is closer to 3rd edition scoring.

That's all. Sorry if this has already been pointed out elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny Castro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought the base game at then end of last year and it has the 4pt farm rules too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Unless they revised the rules in subsequent printings, the Big Box rules were still the 1st edition rules. But what you describe still sounds like 1st edition anyway. Farms don't "supply" cities with 3rd Edition rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Big Box uses the original rules, which has always been used by RGG.

In Germany have they revised the rules twice to make the game more accessible to non-gamers. This third edition is also the official rules for the World Championship.

There are two differences between the two sets:

a) In Germany is a closed city worth 3 points to the Farmers, in USA 4 points.

b) In Germany will a City yield points to every Field surrounding it. In USA will the City only yield points to the Field(s) with the most Farmers.

This is why the Big Box rules have this final sentence in the Farmer rules:
Quote:
• Place an unused follower on each city as it is scored to be certain all are scored, but just once!

So it is not correct that the Big Box rules allow a city to be scored more than once EXCEPT in the cases where two or more Fields have the SAME number of Farmers on them.

In short - you are a perfect proof of why it was wise of the Germans to simplify the scoring rules

But don't worry. It is a complicated subject, which will never go away.
And welcome the community !meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically, in 1e, you look at each city, and go like "OK… which farmers are supplying this city?" and look at all the adjoining fields. The player having majority in farmers on all adjoining fields to that specific city score 4 points for that city. Then go on to check the next city, etc.

In 3e, what you do is look at each field, and go like "OK, who has majority in this field?" The guy with the majority in that particular field will get 3 points for each city connected to the field. And yes, that means that the same player can get points for the same city several times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wisner
United States
Plainville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Zimeon wrote:
In 3e, what you do is look at each field, and go like "OK, who has majority in this field?" The guy with the majority in that particular field will get 3 points for each city connected to the field. And yes, that means that the same player can get points for the same city several times.

This is what my Big Box rules say except that it is 4 points per city and not 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wisner
United States
Plainville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Zimeon wrote:

This is what my Big Box rules say except that it is 4 points per city and not 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Well I had a large response typed out (twice) and then BGG got tripped up (twice) and erased it (twice). So I'll just post this.

If your rules state this, then you have 1st edition rules:
Big Box Rules wrote:
FARMER SCORING (FOR SUPPLYING THE COMPLETED CITIES)
• Only completed cities are used for scoring farmers.
• The farmer must be in a farm that borders a city to supply it. The distance of the farmer to the city is unimportant.
• For each city a player’s farmers supply, the player who deployed the farmer(s) earns 4 points, regardless of the size of the city.
• A farmer can supply (and score) several cities when they border his farm.
• Several farms can supply a single city. In such a case, the player with the most farmers in the farms supplying the city earns the 4 points. If two or more players tie with the most farmers, each of those tied for most earns 4 points
Place an unused follower on each city as it is scored to be certain all are scored, but just once!

As a comparison, here are the "real" 1st edition rules from 8 years ago:
Origianl Rules wrote:
Farmers score as shown below:
•Only completed cities are used for scoring farmers.
•The farm must border a completed city to supply it. The distance of the farmer to the city is unimportant.
•For each city a farm supplies, the player who deployed the farmer earns 4 points, regardless of the size of the city.
•A farmer can supply (and score) several cities when they are adjacent to his farm.
•Several farms can supply a single city. In such a case, the player with the most farmers in the farms supplying the city earns the 4 points. If two or more players tie with the most farmers, each of those tied for most earns 4 points.

In this way, all cities are scored one by one. When all cities have been scored, the final scoring is complete.

As you can see, some minor clarifications on the terminology (as I have empasized) but in essence the exact same rules. So if this is what your copy says, you still have 1st edition rules. If you don't have this, then maybe Jay finally turned things around and went with the official rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
If you don't have this, then maybe Jay finally turned things around and went with the official rules.

Now that would be curious… Could someone type up the actual text used?

Mind you, if that's changed, then the question will be, 'What else?'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mjharper wrote:
Now that would be curious… Could someone type up the actual text used?

That's what 'ColtsFan76' did: first quote is from the RGG Big Box Rules, second quote from the 1st edition RGG rules.

The lastest RGG rules are available from www.riograndegames.com, so there is no reason to speculate in a possible third rules set.

Jay decided NOT to change the farmer rule after the first few print runs. If he didn't wanted to change the rule then, it would be even more hazardous to change it now - after 7+ expansions and a sale that must be tenfold larger than 7 years ago.

(although one should never say never - Mayfair has just decided to change 'their' rules for Settlers to follow the official German guidelines. But then, Mayfair's Settler's is run by Teuber's son - and so far we haven't heard that Jay have employed anyone from the Wrede family)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't seen the new-look RGG site. Great that all the rules are now up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.