Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias Staber
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi,

after reading the rules I'm not sure if I've really understood the fog of war aspect of the game.

When exactly are pieces face down, when are they turned face up?

Are pieces built facedown and do I have to trust that the other players are building according to the rules, like in block games?.

Thanks very much for your answers,

Matthias

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flannel Golem
United States
Bemidji
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matthias Staber wrote:

When exactly are pieces face down, when are they turned face up?

When using the "fog of war", you generally want all pieces face down except for villages and transport canoes forming a canoe line. Generally you should choose whether pieces are turned face up or down only during the movement phase, or when they are built.

This may seem a little fiddly, but it's useful if one of your rumor-pieces is masquerading as a transport canoe early on to deny an opponent passage through an atoll (or even an open-sea space) that somehow presents a bottleneck into "your" empire. This forces an opponent to build a war canoe to chase off the face-down unit before their explorations or transport can take place through that hex.
You also want there to be some doubt about whether those two pieces you just moved to that nice island tile within everyone's reach were a transport canoe and a colonist, or a war canoe and a warrior.

However, since I usually have canoe lines going through most regions of interest, I typically stack units face-up under transport canoes for personal ease of reference

Quote:

Are pieces built facedown and do I have to trust that the other players are building according to the rules, like in block games?

Yes, there is a similar level of trust in CoP as in block games. You need to teach the rules well, so opponents can be confident they know what they're doing and why in the Build phase
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for answering, fendwick; you are correct in both the rules explanation and the strategy tips!

There is one thing that can be done to check the builds for mistakes (or cheating) suggested by someone here on BGG. You can keep track of each player's build points each turn, and check the sum at the end of the game against the cost of all the items the player has at the end of the game. Not very easy, but it can be done.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.