Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Simple Great battles of History compatible with Alesia? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am interested in buying Alesia but I am afraid the game -although easier than the standard GboH- is still too complex for my tastes (as I am looking for a bit more accessible hex&counter games these days) and have the following questions:

1) Does the Simple-GboH Playersguide even further simplify Alesia? Or is the system not compatible with this game?

2)It says Alesia is easier than GboH but on the back of the box the complexity level is still rated 'high'(and still too high for me I'm afraid). Any thoughts on this?

3) Maybe someone can give me any recommendations which other GboH title is one of the better ones, played as Simple-GboH.

Thanks a million!

Harro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael @mgouker
United States
Pembroke Pines
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more like Alesia already is in SGBOH rules.

I don't even think that GBOH has that high of a complexity. Despite what the box says, you shouldn't have much trouble. It's easier to learn the game from a friend of course, but if you don't know someone who does and you do want to learn GBOH (not SGBOH) look no further than the SPQR Player's Guide. There are several replays in there.

Great Battles of Alexander and SPQR are too of the best modules. They all work with the simple rules. These are simulations. A lot of the scenarios are unbalanced so you might want to play each side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Jones
Scotland
Kilmacolm
Inverclyde
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From memory the Alesia rules actually state that it is not compatible with sgboh. It is a simple game with well written and illustrated rules and some interesting twists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks!

So SPQR and Alexander actually don't require the Simple GboH players guide right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.