Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
The stronger the telescope, the more stars there are...
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game worthwhile for 2-players? I have played it with 3, and it seems that the reduced competition for tiles would make this game a snoozer for 2...am I wrong in that assumption?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
San Ramon
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Marostica
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
It isn't as tight as the 3 or 4 player game, but a competition for tiles still exists. Not right away, but as the game picks up, your fields will start to need the same field tiles. I'm sure that if you had each player take 4 starting field tiles, rather than just the two, that the competition would be there from the beginning.

In fact, I'd be interested to see how this plays with 2 players each playing with 2 country boards and stores, alternating player A1-B1-A2-B2. That would make for some very interesting decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Bridges
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
The stronger the telescope, the more stars there are...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not too thrilled about dummy players or players playing two hands. I want to teach this game to my wife, but I feel playing two hands would really be overwhelming. Because I am looking to play with my wife, it doesn't need to be as tight with 2 as it is with 3 or 4, but I just can't imagine any drama with 2 at all. Any other opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is plenty of competition in 2-player games. First, you can take your opponent's tiles by paying for them if they don't place a minimum bid on it that is too high. Second, you need the tiles that your opponent will want quite often after the first 3-4 turns. My wife and I had plenty of groans as the other took the tile they needed. Don't rule out direct conflict in this one with only 2 players, it is there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Having just played it for both 2 and 4 players, I'd say there's actually MORE competition in the 2 player version.

If you keep in mind that earning a point for yourself is the same as denying a point for your opponent - then it doesn't matter that a tile is useless for you. We had some brutal swings in our game. Very few tiles with 2 or less bids were left unstolen, so in the end we were placing 5 and 6 bids on the tiles we REALLY wanted in order to avoid our enemy's wrath. Compare this with the 4 player where MOST tiles went for 2, and only very rarely did people bid up more than that.

Tasty game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Hunt
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chicagometh wrote:
Is this game worthwhile for 2-players? I have played it with 3, and it seems that the reduced competition for tiles would make this game a snoozer for 2...am I wrong in that assumption?

This game is a blast for two players, but there's one important condition required: you have to agree not to "crop count" the crop supply. In a 2-player game, the hidden information aspect of the game is totally wiped out otherwise. By simply counting the red crop counters in the supply and subtracting the ones behind your screen, you can know exactly how many red crop counters your opponent has saved up.

So you have to either agree not to crop-count the supply or else play without the screens that hide your personal crop holdings. The former is vastly preferable to the latter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played it two player several times and found it pretty good, with definite opportunities for messing with your opponent's plans.

I have to say that we never even contemplated cube counting (too lazy) so this didn't enter into it. I tried, but failed, to keep a vague idea of what she had when we played it tonight. Surprisingly tricky to keep it straight in your head (so I didn't bother in the end).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.