Subject: Please define "campaign"/"overworld"/etc rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In many fantasy type game forums, there seems to be talk about "overworld" maps or "campaign" maps.

Example: Road to Descent---discussion is about "campaigns" being a part of the game.

Now, I'm not a moron--and I know what someone is talking about when discussion a military campaign, generally speaking. But what is meant in these situations?

Same with "overworld"--sure--OK, its not underground. But is there any real difference?

Is it that these terms are understandable to people who have played RPGs/D&D? (If there's a place to go for these definitions--please post the link!)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Please "campaign"/"overworld"/etc
So, a campaign has a definite sense, especially as far as Descent goes. In the base game of Descent, you give yourself new characters every time you play. Any gold, items, weapons, etc. that you find in one dungeon, you can't carry over to the next one. (This is a good thing, because normally by the end of a quest, the heroes are just killing machines who can plow their way through anything that's not a boss.) Apparently in the expansion, there are rules tweaks that make a campaign possible. Thus you keep the same characters over several quests, build them up, etc.

As for "overworld", it seems like a fairly superficial difference, although maybe not completely. I would guess that in the "overworld", the emphasis is more on travelling, finding items, talking to people to find clues, etc - think Talisman. Whereas in the dungeon or whatever, the emphasis is on much more tactical close quarters combat. Just my thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Please "campaign"/"overworld"/etc
Typically campaigns in an RPG universe (which appears to hold true for the upcoming descent example) are a series of adventures or discrete elements that are woven into an overall whole. During the course of a campaign, players/characters typically will gain levels and gain items, in essence growing stronger to face the ultimate ending to the campaign.

So, typical Descent play is a series of non-connected dungeons. Characters start fresh every game and all leveling is done in that one dungeon.

With the expansion The Road to Legend, players will have an over-arching mission - to discover and defeat the ultimate badguy (this is just one example). During the course of play, the characters will travel to different cities, delve into dungeons and otherwise explore the world picking up more powerful items, defeating enemies to gain levels and grow stronger, etc. At some point, the final confrontation will ensue. But prior to that, they may not know where the ultimate destination or enemy is. They may engage in side quests (unrelated adventures outside of the scope of the main campaign).

Using an obvious example, a campaign might be to get the One Ring to Mt. Doom to destroy. The course of the campaign will likely extend over many sessions, and the characters will be gaining strength while weaving in and out of the main plot.

I hope that makes sense...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it like this: A season of a TV show is a "campaign". Each episode is one game. So there may be plots that are resolved in a single episode/game, but there are also overarching plots that may span the entire season.

"Overworld" is a new one on me (and I play a lot of DnD), but I'm guessing you are correct that its just referring to adventures that take place above ground rather than in some kind of "dungeon".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I_ G
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
coolpapa wrote:
As for "overworld", it seems like a fairly superficial difference, although maybe not completely. I would guess that in the "overworld", the emphasis is more on travelling, finding items, talking to people to find clues, etc - think Talisman. Whereas in the dungeon or whatever, the emphasis is on much more tactical close quarters combat. Just my thoughts.

This is just a suggestion. No idea where the term comes from.

A dungeon is most of the time scripted, which means that there is usually only one way you can go, with a few detours into rooms on the side. The "overworld" has less limits of this kind. You have the choice where to go next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.