Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: whoops, I meant to say 1100 word limit. Was reading the wrong info blush

Some of my session reports can go up to 1500 characters words, but I've noticed session reports 'crap out' at 1100 or so characters words. On the flipside, another thread post mentioned by several that reviews get a whooping 65K characters words!

Anyway to up the character word limit on session reports at least twice the current limit? I usually don't exceed that, but it'd be nice to write more to capture the full mood, emotions, and detailed moves on those rare occassions that I'm able to do so.

ANOTHER QUESTION WHILE WE'RE AT IT....
What's the Group Name field supposed to be for when filling out a session report?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Anyway to up the character limit on session reports?
There are many session reports much longer than 1100 characters.

Perhaps when you get into longer reports you start inserting special characters? eg if you use less than / greater than symbols you can run into the kind of trouble which will see chunks of your text disappear into The Horrible Black Void never to be seen again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "group name" is the name of your gaming group, if your gaming group has a name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
The "group name" is the name of your gaming group, if your gaming group has a name.

But what is the point? It doesn't appear anywhere that I can see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
There are many session reports much longer than 1100 characters.

Perhaps when you get into longer reports you start inserting special characters? eg if you use less than / greater than symbols you can run into the kind of trouble which will see chunks of your text disappear into The Horrible Black Void never to be seen again.

whoops, I meant to say 1100 word limit. 1100 or so words (according to M$ Word) is MUCH more like it, but still too short for some ppl with ALOT of details to spill and "tables" to display to make for even better session reports IMHO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Barticus88 wrote:
jgrundy wrote:

But what is the point? It doesn't appear anywhere that I can see.

You used to be able to filter on group name to see when and what that group played. However, that feature was broken some months ago and has yet to be fixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
whoops, I meant to say 1100 word limit. 1100 or so words (according to M$ Word) is MUCH more like it, but still too short for some ppl with ALOT of details to spill and "tables" to display to make for even better session reports IMHO
Either way I expect you won't find it's a limit on length.

In the hot session lists, you'll easily find reports pushing 2000 words.

Here's some examples of larger reports...
3300+ Tide of Iron session
4900+ Battlestations session
10000+ Tigris and Euprhates session
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Must've been an isolated incident then. All I know was my session report got cut off at parts in the middle. I'll probably still compulsively hit the Preview button just to make sure ALL the text gets included, but ^^ that's good to know

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said... watch out for if you try to include especially less than and/or greater than symbols. The BGG server may try to interpret it as an embedded HTML tag (instruction) and trim away everything between / after. I've had this happen myself.

These days, with intermittent server page timeouts and all, I tend to always Ctrl-A to highlight all my text then Ctrl-C to copy it... THEN I'll hit the preview button. Then if it gets lost or mangled I still have it in the paste buffer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:
As I said... watch out for if you try to include especially less than and/or greater than symbols. The BGG server may try to interpret it as an embedded HTML tag (instruction) and trim away everything between / after. I've had this happen myself.

These days, with intermittent server page timeouts and all, I tend to always Ctrl-A to highlight all my text then Ctrl-C to copy it... THEN I'll hit the preview button. Then if it gets lost or mangled I still have it in the paste buffer.
^^
yeah, that was it. Or it must've been it, as I don't feel like going back to check at this point. I'm guessing that the lesson to get is pointy braces are strictly off limits for forum content? There isn't even any way around that (tho I'd doubt it'd be worth the effort anyways)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
jgrundy wrote:

This one did hit the limit though. I had to break it into two parts go get it all posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.