Subject: GWaS or SWWaS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With Avalanche Press having a buy one get one free sale I am contemplating purchasing one of their naval games ( and perhaps getting another free )
Although an experienced wargamer who has played games right up to ASL level complexity I have never played a naval game. Avalanche has the Great War at Sea Series and the Second World War at Sea Series. Judging by the pictures on this site it would appear that SWWaS deals significantly with airpower as well as naval forces. What other differences are there ? Which series would you recommend ? Which game or games in that particular series would you recommend and why ? Thanks for any feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played SWWAS but not GWAS. Yes, SWWAS deals with carriers and planes a lot more, WWII wasn't the gun battle at sea that WWI was. Carriers changed naval warfare. I guess it would come down to which war interests you more (I lean towards WWII only because I know more about it). As far as rules complexity goes you shouldn't have a problem with either game if you're comfortable with ASL, the Avalanche games are lighter.

If you choose to go with SWWAS I would recommend Second World War at Sea: Bismarck. The Hood vs. Bismarck fight is presented as a tactical-level scenario, it's even suitable as a good learning scenario.

EDIT: My example of the Bismarck might sound contradictory to the statement about carriers and WWII. Obviously, anything dealing with the Germans won't be carrier-heavy, a little less rules density with no planes. If you want more carriers and aircraft go with Second World War at Sea: Midway

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rahman
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd depends on what your tastes are. If you like more modern weapons like airplanes, subs etc. SWWAS would be best for you, but if you like more gunnery combat and WW I naval combat in general then you should go for GWAS. From what I have heard the SWWAS rules are more developed than GWAS's rules. Either way you will find many, many fans of both series', but keep in mind that both SWWAS and GWAS are mostly operational level game where tactical combat is secondary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.
Is naval combat handled in a similar fashion in both systems or are there any significant differences in how it is done between these two systems ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like your thread kind of stalled, John. AFAIK they're fairly similar with SWWAS being the "improved" version. Like I stated in another post I don't own any GWAS games so I can't tell you more.

Which one is looking better to you so far?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GWaS probably is at the moment Eric as I am interested in WW1 battles at the moment I have been reading Castles of Steel by Robert Massie and have found it very interesting. Rumor has it, the production quality of Jutland is about as good as it gets in these series. I am tempted to go that route and probably will unless someone spouts a convincing reason why SWWaS is somehow more my speed or more to my liking. Thanks for your feedback !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Second World War at Sea: Bomb Alley
If you're gonna go with SWWaS choose Bomb Alley. The Med is without a doubt the most interesting theater of war when it comes to naval warfare. The vicinity to land (land based aircraft) and naval bases makes for a more exciting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
GWaS probably is at the moment Eric as I am interested in WW1 battles at the moment I have been reading Castles of Steel by Robert Massie and have found it very interesting. Rumor has it, the production quality of Jutland is about as good as it gets in these series. I am tempted to go that route and probably will unless someone spouts a convincing reason why SWWaS is somehow more my speed or more to my liking. Thanks for your feedback !

When I pick up one of the WWI sets I think my first one will be Jutland. Tough choice between that and the Spanish-American war set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.