Subject: Explaining what a wargame is. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I went into a game store today that I had not been into before. They had a real nice selection of Euro, Ameri....., CCGs, CMGs, and Warhammer. But I did not see a wargame section. I thought maybe I missed it, so I asked the clerk (who friendly and helpful). He told me that the boardgames were not really in sections. It almost seemed as if the clerk had pondered what a wargame was. He then proceeded to name all the Risk and Axis & Allies variants, StarCraft, Doom, and Descent with me saying no after each one. While I have no problem playing any of those, they were not what I meant when I asked for wargames. I then attempted to explain by naming companies like GMT, MMP, and Avalanche Press. He apparently had not heard of them. I was at a loss to actually explain what wargames were. I did see a Command & Colors: Ancients after looking around some more, so someone had stocked a GMT game.

Maybe I should have asked if they had any Historical Simulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right - there is no easy, one shot way of explaining a wargame to someone who has no comprehension of what you are talking about. In a perfect world it would be great to have a ready supply in your backpack to pull out and explain, clearly and concisely, exactly what we mean by wargames, but that doesn't happen.

Historical simulation may make non-believers understand better, but maybe even that is still a total mystery to a lot of people. I have, most regretably, found myself saying a number of times:

" Like Risk, but with more accuracy and depth to it. "

I know, shame on me, but how else do you get a message across in a five second window?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you receive a war game in the mail, try explaining what a "war game" is to a six year old.

Well... you see... it's a game about war...

"What is war, daddy?"

Not a more sobering question have I ever been asked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
She was lucky I was too drunk to spank her.

The wife or the six year old?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
When you receive a war game in the mail, try explaining what a "war game" is to a six year old.

"What is war, daddy?"

Wait until "how do I know if I'm pregnant?"

Well, assuming your six year old is a girl I guess...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.

The common "A wargame is like Risk but..." is actually an ideal answer.

Most intelligent people know what Risk is, and that response won't make the other person's eyes glaze over like a lengthy senatorial-style verbal essay on the history of the wargame business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahiksking wrote:
You're right - there is no easy, one shot way of explaining a wargame to someone who has no comprehension of what you are talking about. In a perfect world it would be great to have a ready supply in your backpack to pull out and explain, clearly and concisely, exactly what we mean by wargames, but that doesn't happen.

Historical simulation may make non-believers understand better, but maybe even that is still a total mystery to a lot of people. I have, most regretably, found myself saying a number of times:

" Like Risk, but with more accuracy and depth to it. "

I know, shame on me, but how else do you get a message across in a five second window?

That's not the worst description, for somebody who wouldn't know US Grant from Cary Grant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Christiansen
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Somehow I dread the idea of comparing most of the wargames I genuinely like to Risk, but that may be about the simplest means of getting it across to the uninformed. But you'd be amazed how many people I run across who know about Axis & Allies and can comprehend an explanation of a game even more complex tied to a historic battle or war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Sponagle
Canada
Barrie
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleakgeek wrote:
"It is like, playing WW2 and you can win with the Germans"

Substitute "French" with "Germans" and it makes even more sense...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:

"What is war, daddy?"

I agree

My 4 year old likes all my " jungle maps" when I am sorting out my new ASL gear , oh and the purple dice in Beyond Valor was a huge hit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dude163 wrote:
oh and the purple dice in Beyond Valor was a huge hit

You see these things Billy? If you throw them and they both have one spot, people DIE! Wanna try it on Mommy? arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Cooper
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My definition of a wargame:

1.More historical than abstract in concept. Defined time periods with specific dates , either minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years decades, etc ....

2.The map should be geographic in design. Many Eurogames are defined by the absence of a map that is extremely abstract.

3.Use of a randomizing element, such as a die, to detail special events or combat results.

4.A set of rules that are created to illustrate realism as opposed to a rules based on a pre-configured system. The lack of detail indicates abstraction and abstraction creates un-historical results.

5.A wargame based on history will not be balanced in all ways but rather define strengths and weaknesses of the players.

I, for example, would rate "Napoleon’s Triumph" a 1 or maybe a 2 out of five. While "Frederich," which is often considered a Eurogame by many (which I think is wrong), may score a four or five out of five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Azzarc wrote:
I was at a loss to actually explain what wargames were.

"They are games about historical wars with a lot of attention to historical accuracy. Like a game about a famous battle like Gettysburg or the Battle of the Bulge, for example."

That is the best way to explain it - mention historical battles by name and add "you know, a game about that".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Tompy wrote:
"What is war, daddy?"

"A war is a very sad thing. When one group of people and another group of people fight over something. Lots of people get hurt and everyone is very sad. It's the worst thing in the world. We play games about it to remind us what it is like. Because we never want it to happen and if we remember, maybe it won't."

How is that? Glosses over how adults can disassociate the strategy of war from the horror of war to play a game, but that is a subject for a more advanced student.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
I agree.

The common "A wargame is like Risk but..." is actually an ideal answer.

Most intelligent people know what Risk is, and that response won't make the other person's eyes glaze over like a lengthy senatorial-style verbal essay on the history of the wargame business.

I've always tried "like chess, but usually on a hexagon map instead of squares, and the pieces simulate actual military units rather than abstractions".

Believe it or not, there are people who've never heard of Risk. Chess is pretty ubiquitous, though. At least, in North America. Even if the person doesn't know how to play it (which is most people, actually), they have at least heard of it or seen it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:

"What is war, daddy?"

There are very few posts that make me pause and think. This was one. My 3 year old likes looking at the games with me. At this point its just pretty uniforms and maps. Wow, I'm going to need to come up with a good answer to that one sometime soon.

Can I just keep my kids at age 4? All of the wonder, none of the headaches?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rahman
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
The lack of detail indicates abstraction and abstraction creates un-historical results.

Not always, just because a game has 60 pages of rules doesn't make it more historically acurite than a game with 15 pages of rules. Abstraction can be used in a historical correct wargame, it's just a matter of what is abstracted and how it is abstracted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:

"What is war, daddy?"
[..]
Well,... it's a way how grown-ups settle disputes. ...Uhm, no, wait...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe A. Redjac
China
Beijing
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
"What is war, daddy?"

"It's where heroes are made. Heroes die young. Remember ASL? Stay clear of it. Your turn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.