Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just stumbled across this game and it looks like it might fit light wargame category that I enjoy playing with my dad. He can't handle the more rules intensive stuff anymore but he loves Memoir '44. I like the minis and the rules look like they are not much heavier than Memoir '44. Is that about right? What about playing time?? Is 30 minutes to an hour about right even for larger battles? I'm getting a little bored with Memoir '44 and have been searching for something that is similar in weight but different enough to add some variety to what I play with him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only in that it's a low complexity wargame. A&A WAS is an excellent game and it's very easy to pick up the basics of the rules in a matter of minutes. A normal battle of 100 points - 150 points (a small BB/CA task force or small carrier group) should run 20 - 45 minutes of actual play time. The time commitment grows expediently with the more points you add.

P.s. pick up at least one starter and two+ boosters to ensure a fair mix of axis and allied units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game play is nothing like M44, nor are the mechanics. However, the game plays out in less than 30 minutes for smaller builds and certainly in less than an hour for larger ones (500 pts).

In a nutshell, you'll both be moving your units on each turn. The movement choices are not card driven. Units within range and having the right abilities will be able to attack each other. Last man standing wins.

You can preview the rules over at the AH website which also has scenarios. Expect to purchase a starter and at least 4-5 boosters to get two working fleets to draw from and play against each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Bailey
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game is nothing like Memoir '44. Each of the ships have their own characteristics and different ranges and different special abilities in some case. There's a little more meat and it sort of feels like Naval Combat. Could use some rule fixes though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments. I get that the game doesn't have the same mechanics as Memoir '44. What I was asking was more about the complexity of the decisions during the game and the playing time. From what I've seen that comparison is not too far off but I haven't seen the game in play. The minis do look much nicer than the C&C series minis and I'm looking forward to something a little different than the standard tanks, artillery and infantry units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
The minis are great. As far as decisions, this is a game of building fleets with supporting units much like a regular naval task force. You want to best use the abilities of your ships but you won't win if you don't have the right mix of units.

Strategy will therefore depend on the units in your fleet and how to maneuver them to get the most out of them. Air battles with carriers will play out differently than a straight surface fleet. The game is not complex and rarely will a battle of 100 points go over 5 turns each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Holm
United States
Rio Rancho
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My nickel's worth...

Half of the brainpower used in this game is during fleet construction. The other half is used in-game. It is split among deploying aircraft, advancing (or not) the surface fleet, and deciphering range/dice tables off of the miniatures' cards. The elegant iconography prevents a lot of complexity without being obtrusive.

Hope this helps!
-Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.