Subject: Where does my collection go from here...? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh

Sydney
NSW
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions!

As a young teenager, I started to get into more serious boardgaming (a few games in my collection are remnants from those days)... and by that I mean games outside of Monopoly gulp Now almost a decade later, I've finally hit the phase in my life where I've got 1) time to game, 2) peers to game with, and 3) disposable income to afford a modest collection (despite still being in grad school). Over the past year, I've been lurking at BGG and picked up a few games that caught my eye. My collection as it stands contains (in no real order; no expansions unless mentioned):

Indonesia
Power Grid
Puerto Rico
Twilight Imperium
Roads and Boats
Arkham Horror
Battlelore
RoboRally
Settlers of Catan (plus expansions)
Carcassonne
Railroad Tycoon
Hannibal: Rome v. Carthage
Agricola (pre-ordered)

Yes, it's very modest... R&B hasn't hit the table yet, and we've moved beyond Settlers and Carcassonne, but essentially everything else has been a great hit among my group. The problem is that now I'm trying to figure out how best to expand my collection... and I just don't know what I want.

I do, however, know a few things I'm not interested in at this point: serious wargames and light games (a game needs to be at least as meaty as Settlers w/ expansions for me to really consider it). Besides that, I'm open to just about anything, including expansions to any of the games I already have. The only real goal is that I'd potentially like to expand my collection into other genres or play mechanics.

I'm planning to place a ~$150 order in the next few weeks... any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your list there are a few obvious things you could use:

- Stock based game
- Auction based game
- Area influence based game

I'm sure there are others.

For stocks, the best example is the 18XX series. You might try starting with something small like 18AL or 18GA, even 18FL. Or, if you're feeling saucy, you could pony up the cash for something like 1830.

Wabash Cannonball is a good, shorter but still interesting stock based game.

For auctions, the two obvious big ones are Ra and Modern Art. Ra is a little more of a gambling game with big turns of fate. Modern Art is more variable, and it's more based on careful calculation.

For area influence games your options are all over the chart. My favourite is probably Martin Wallace's Liberte, a convoluted, brain-contorter of a game with interesting things to consider, but that's a bit pricey these days. El Grande is still a classic in the genre, and is fairly accessible, and is still widely available. For 3 players, San Marco is a real standout in the style.

These are some very basic suggestions, but there you go...

Edit: I also would be a fool to not suggest Princes of Florence for an interesting auction game. It was my second Euro and I still love playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rogers
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can recommend my 2 favourite games which are Fury of Dracula and Reef Encounter.

If you like the theme of Arkham Horror, and can deal with the length, Fury of Dracula is a great cooperative (well everyone against 1) chase game. Very exciting and action-packed in my experience.

You don't own Tigris and Euphrates. That's all good, because you can get a game which I think has similar mechanics, but way better theme and artwork. Reef Encounter is one of the most brilliant games I've ever played, and once you get through the rule book is a very rewarding and fun experience every time. Also, there is a great online implementation of the game if you don't feel like buying it or can't find opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a Columbia block wargame? The lighter ones aren't very complex or serious but they offer a ton depth in terms of strategy but still have a real wargame feeling.

Hammer of the Scots
Crusader Rex
Quebec 1759
Athens & Sparta

Check them out, they are a lot of fun and they are easier to get into than Hannibal.

Also, do you have any interest in abstracts?
Look into:
YINSH
DVONN
GIPF
ZÈRTZ

Two great Knizia auction games to look into:
Modern Art or Ra(can't figure out how to link it)

You could probably use a card game too:
San Juan
Battle Line
Catan Card Game
Jambo

OOh and one of my personal favorites:
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem to be into complex stuff, so pretty much any Ameritrash would suit you :-). But I'm going to recommend complex Euros.

Java / Tikal / Torres / Mexica - these are all similar and I intend to own them all very soon.

Caylus - a complex game which is very popular. I don't like it much myself, but I don't like Railroad Tycoon or TI3 either. However I will go out on a limb and say that Agricola takes the good parts of it and packages them in a better game.

Age of Steam - like Railroad Tycoon but more serious.

Runebound - a long fantasy game which will be sufficiently complex for you.

C&C Ancients - only 2 players, but very different feel to BattleLore.

Vinci - it's not difficult to play but it does require a lot of thought and a variety of interesting situations arise.

Shogun / Wallenstein - I've never even seen these, but I believe they are heavy Weuros and may suit you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Comfort
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...now that all other children are growing up?
And how do we spend our lives if there's no one to lend us a hand?

Sorry. Just a little APP moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taj Mahal and El Grande I suggest to everyone because they are awesome. It also sounds like Imperial might be up your alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arif ally
United States
Kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Op
Ra
Caylus
Goa
Shogun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions for Power Grid and Puerto Rico are highly rated, though in very different ways by very different people.

If you're planning to spend $150 just to get free shipping from one of the online discount merchants, then the expansions fill in the corners of an order very nicely. :-)

(You haven't filled in a profile so we don't know what country you live in, but I'm going to hazard a guess that you're talking about US dollars and not the dollars of some other country.)

Both Brass: Lancashire and Container have a lot of fans right now, but we don't know yet if either of them has the staying power to earn a place on your small-but-growing bookshelf, and if you're in the US Brass: Lancashire is only available as a relatively expensive import, so you might not be able to justify the cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb
rayito2702 wrote:
Taj Mahal and El Grande I suggest to everyone because they are awesome. It also sounds like Imperial might be up your alley.

What he said. I was going to suggest Imperial myself. These are all of them stunningly good, deep games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds as if you are in the enviable position of having a group of gamers that are all excited to learn and play multiple difficult games. Thats great! Some of these will echo whats been said above but all of them introduce a new mechanic or two:

Through the Ages (in stores a few days from now)
Imperial
Shogun
Antiquity (the best Splotter game, and you own the other two biggies)
Goa
Fury of Dracula has been a smash hit with my friends
El Grande
Taj Mahal
AoE: 3

A lot of people have been talking about 2-player war games. Dunno if thats your thing, but:

Twilight Struggle!!!
HotS (You really should at least try a block wargame)
Athens and Sparta

Now for a multiplayer war/finance game, I LOVE Struggle of Empires, Friedrich and Imperial. Most of the pure conflict stuff (Axis and Allies, Dust, Mare Nostrum, Attack!) fall a little short of the mark for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Taj Mahal and In the Year of the Dragon. You are not likely to be disappointed, based on that list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows Over Camelot
and I will add a vote for Shogun.

Plus try to get Roads and Boats to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
Plus try to get Roads and Boats to the table.

And especially try to get it onto the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh

Sydney
NSW
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great feedback everyone! I'm overwhelmed, as usual, by the amount of quality games out there.

In the end, I decided to use my pile of gaminglagoon points to order:

Imperial
Descent (I haven't owned a dungeon crawler in ages)
El Grande
Race for the Galaxy (as a cardgame to play)

I'll probably place a second order using actual money in the next few weeks. Not certain what will make the cut, but Reef Encounter and Die Macher are both games I'm strongly considering. I've looked at Antiquity before and definitely want to pick it up before it becomes too rare... I also want to grab some expansions... too much stuff

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.