Ambush!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Should Self Preservation Occur Mid-Move? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Veazie
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I'm playing an Ambush mission where a German soldier is instructed to move fast and fall prone at the end of movement. However, his first move (expending 1 MP to move into a clear hex) brings him adjacent to a group of US soldiers (upon whom he actually fired in the previous round). So my question is: should I immediately put Self Preservation into effect for him (rerolling the Action # and following the paragraph in the Self Preservation column for the remainder of his move), or should I continue his "fast movement, falling prone at the end of the movement", where he possibly ends up running into the U.S. controlled hex, thus ending his movement and setting up an easy assault for the Americans?

Normally, I would have simply finished the fast movement, and only used the "S" column at the beginning of his next turn (if the situation dictated), but in this particular mission some of the Germans have had other special conditions instituted mid-move (by a specific paragraph), so it's got me wondering.

I can't find anything definitive in the rules/errata, as they just state that the self preservation column is to be used "whenever the German is in a hex occupied or adjacent to an active US soldier. Use of the self preservation column may begin and stop any number of times for a given German soldier, depending on his proximity to US soldiers." (rule 6/8)

Your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always played that this is checked only at the beginning of the turn, but I was not able to find anything supporting this in the rules.

What if a german is moving to assault (admitably not a common german action)? it would be weird to stop when adjacent and check for a new action.

Sometimes with self preservation a german promptly surrenders. That would be worse than being prone adjacent to us soldiers.

Perhaps the german has better IN than the adjacent us soldiers and the current round ends now. Then it is not such a bad idea to stop close to the us soldiers, because it is most likely that the german will be the one to move first next time.

Drawing fire to this particular german may help the german side, so it may be better to just let the poor guy keep running and be a good target. This is difficult to predict without looking a few turns ahead.

It is also highly likely that the self-peservation-action picked will be impossible to do now that the german have moved a few hexes, perhaps already
spending more than half of his MP.

Perhaps by entering the next hex the german will reveal something hidden to the player that changes things, like suddenly picking up a flamethrower that was hidden in the hex. I can't remember that happening in a mission ever, but it could happen. Or perhaps when entering the next hex the german is instructed to "if more than half MP available and US soldier in LOS, stop and snap fire once" or something.

You can never know what the enemy is up to. So there may be times when doing self preservation mid-turn is obviously a good idea for the germans, but it is often not certain. I'd just allow him to finish the turn and then use S on his next turn instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.