L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an interesting development for historical minis gamers: A new company, Wargames Factory is coming out with a line of hard plastic miniatures (ala Games Workshop), to go along with Osprey's new ancients ruleset Field of Glory. They're going to start with Caesarian Romans and Celts and supposedly keep going from there. There are a few samples up on their site. It'll be interesting to see how these go over. At the price, i think they were saying something like $30 for a box of 40 figs, i'll probably pick some up just to try them out with Warhammer Ancient Battles.

A couple of links:

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/Home.htm

and scroll down a little here to see some of the figs:
http://www.wargamesfactory.com/workbench.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a fantastically cool piece of news!

If this catches on, maybe we'll see more historical miniatures (and more non-historical miniatures) in 28mm!

I'm going to have to buy myself some figures!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Dooley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone else thinking that these would be PERFECT for C&C: Ancients? I know I am!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wittdooley wrote:
Is anyone else thinking that these would be PERFECT for C&C: Ancients? I know I am!

absolutely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all in favor of plastic miniatures, but I'd be more interested in a smaller scale, such as 15, 10, or even 6mm. 28mm requires bigger terrain and bigger play areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with 15s, but very much prefer the bigger 28mm figs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
badge
Someone gave me 88gg for a rules translation and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an awesome concept, looks like FoG is set to make historical wargaming accessible, and fantastic pricing, hopefully these will take off and we'll see a lot more in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
I'm all in favor of plastic miniatures, but I'd be more interested in a smaller scale, such as 15, 10, or even 6mm. 28mm requires bigger terrain and bigger play areas.

No, it doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. Thanks for the info. Any idea if anyone is planning to sell the products in the US?

Looking forward to some larger scale armies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Severino
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil from The Warstore (http://www.thewarstore.com) said several days ago via a post on TMP that they would be carrying these figures. I'm not 100% sure when they'll get them in -- I don't think they'll make it to Cold Wars in March -- but hopefully sooner rather than later.

On a personal note, this is GREAT news for the historicals industry, and I think Field of Glory will catch on well since Osprey books are available in many book stores (not just game stores). I'm planning to buy some of these to fit in with my 25-30mm fantasy games (for certain various human cultures). They're going to fit nicely with most of the popular ranges there as well, not to mention historical ranges from Crusader, Artizan, Black Tree Design, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashitaka wrote:
Very nice. Thanks for the info. Any idea if anyone is planning to sell the products in the US?

Looking forward to some larger scale armies!

Wargames Factory itself is based in the US, outside Boston, so if nothing else, you'll be able to buy directly from them in the US.

From the owner of Wargames Factory quoted fromt the WAB Yahoo list:

Quote:
We're planning three main types of boxes:

48 infantry or 24 cav - $29.95

24 infantry or 12 cav - $TBD

12 infantry or 6 cav - $TBD

Sounds like there is some confusion -- we're a US based company (just

outside Boston). We'll be carried by several different distributors and

retailers -- we'll operate our own shop as well. In the UK we'll be

available directly from Slitherine (the company behind Field of Glory)

and also through North Star Figures. A complete list of retailers will

go up on the site in the next few weeks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Moore
United States
KC area
Missouri
flag msg tools
Less talking about games and more playing games.
badge
Print-n-Play Wargames and Miniatures Rules www.wargamedownloads.com
mbmbmbmbmb
davedanger wrote:
kentreuber wrote:

No, it doesn't.

If you actually want to maneuver, it does. Some people rather do more than just line up two sides and then crash in the middle.

Of course I am talking about mass battles. Skirmish is fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Marchlewitz
Canada
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...and I thought Caesar made nice ones...and they do quite cheap too...but these look like GW quality. Cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
I've been wanting to get into more complex wargaming, but those damn little cardboard cutouts have always kept me away. I'm an arts student, so I need the visual stimulation or I walk!

I have yet to find any minatures for C&C that are not horribly expensive. I hope these fit the bill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.