Shane B
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
February 1, 2008.

I recently took the Heroscape plunge when I found several master sets and the Heroes of Durgeth expansion pack on the clearance shelf at Wal-Mart (I have since purchased a few more expansions, of course). While playing with some geekbuddies, my wife saw all of the minis on the table and expressed a great deal of interest in the game, which was a surprise for all of us.

Last night, I asked if she wanted to finally give it a try, and she agreed. Oh, happy day.

The Setup:

My wife was a little overwhelemed when confronted with a table full of minis. I explained the very simple rules to her, and explained some of the various special abilities of cards she found interesting. And then I left her alone while she chose her army. She chose well, sensing the concept of synergies on her own (although, in the end, she did not worry too much about it). She had only a few questions as to quality of one squad over another, and then she made her final decisions and we sat down to the task of opening placement.

Me:

Deathwalker 9000
Deathwalker 8000
Zettian Guards
Marro Drudge
Marro Warriors
Deathreavers

Wife:

Agent Carr
Krav Maga Agents
Nakita Agents
Marro Drudge
Tarn Viking Warriors
Thorgrin

The Battlefield:

A cavernous, multi-level custom affair made of all pieces from the Rise of the Valkyrie and the Swarm of the Marro Master Sets. We placed 4 randomly-drawn glyphs, symbol side up: two on high ground, and two in the caverns.

The Battle:

She was still a little unsure of what to expect, and had that frustrated look she gets when she isn't certain of what she is doing, and so she forced me to take initiative for the opening turn.

I did not want to discourage my wife from playing again, so I did not try anything too strategic--not that I'm the greatest strategician anyway. I decided I would make the most straightforward moves toward her armies, a sort of brute-force attack.

I tunneled my Drudge through the swamps into contact with one of her own Drudge, Thorgrin, and a Nakita Agent. I was able to take out her Drudge, but the Nakita Agent's smokescreen prevented an attack on Thorgrin.

My Marro Warriors took position in the caverns to snipe Glyph seekers, while the Deathwalkers sought higher ground.

My wife entered the caverns with her Nakita Agents, while her Drudge tunneled the swamps to my side of the caverns. Agent Carr started for high ground near my Deathwalkers, easily dispatching Deathwalker 8000, while her Viking Warriors made a slow ascent on the other side of the battlefield near the bridge that lead to a glyph in the highmost ruins.

Deathwalker 9000 scored a hit on Agent Carr with an explosion attack. My Drudge dispatched a Nakita Agent, while they in turn took out all but one of my Drudge. My Marro Warriors, unable to strike the Nakita Agents, went Glyph seeking themselves, and turned up a Massive Curse, which took out one of my Zettian Guards, and one of her Nakita Agents.

The Viking Warriors continued their ascent toward the bridge.

Deathwalker 9000 and Agent Carr met on high ground, to no effect. In a stunning round, her Nakita Agents and Drudge took out my remaining Zettian guard, and two Marro Warriors. The two remaining warriors split for highground to support Deathwalker 9000. They attempted to water clone, but failed. I moved my Deathreavers to meet the Nakita Agents in the caverns and, with hope, slow them down. The Viking Warriors finally took the bridge and charged across to a Wound Glyph, killing a Deathreaver.

By this time, she was starting to get into the game, and became very aggressive.

Wife: "I'm kicking your ass."
Me: "Mmm-hmmm."

Taking highground, my Marro Warriors once again attempted to water clone, but failed. They did, however, take a Glyph of Negation, blocking the Krav Maga Agents' ability to dodge. I firmly believe that this eventually swung the game into balance for me.

In a brutal attack, Agent Carr destroyed Deathwalker 9000. Things weren't looking so good for me, with only two Marro Warriors, three Deathreavers, and 1 Marro Drudge.

In the next round, I managed to water clone, receiving one more Marro Warrior for a total of three. My last Drudge was killed by Nakita Agents.

My Marro Warriors, in an amazing show, destroyed Agent Carr, and two Viking Warriors. Now, things weren't looking so good for her. In subsequent rounds, my Marro Warriors took out the remaining Viking Warrior, Nakita Agent, and her Krav Maga Agents, from high ground. With only two Marro Drudge and Thorgrin left, she moved them all into the caverns to escape my Marro Warriors' LOS.

My deathreavers engaged, trapping her units in the caverns, while my Marro Warriors came down to find LOS. It did not take long to find victory after that.

The Aftermath:

All in all, it was a good time. If not for the Glyph of Negation, and an amazing round of luck which allowed three Marro Warriors to take out Agent Carr and two Viking Warriors, I don't think I would have won.

My wife enjoyed the game, too, and indicated that she would certainly play again in the future. Which makes this my favorite session of Heroscape so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raindog
Norway
Elverum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report!
I have played Heroscape a couple times with my wife. To start with, she was very sceptical, but during the game it didn`t long before she was spellbound by this great game. She usually prefers Euros, but Heroscape is a very special game. Beautiful, easy and fast. Like an FPS videogame!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet for you my friend. Congrats on sucking her to the dark side. Soon she will be looking to buy every expansion known to man and YOU will be asked to pay for them

A small price to pay for a wife who games with you. Open the wallet with a smile my friend, a BIG smile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaneB wrote:
so she forced me to take initiative for the opening turn.

I tunneled my Drudge through the swamps into contact with one of her own Drudge, Thorgrin, and a Nakita Agent. I was able to take out her Drudge, but the Nakita Agent's smokescreen prevented an attack on Thorgrin.

My Marro Warriors took position in the caverns to snipe Glyph seekers, while the Deathwalkers sought higher ground.

My wife entered the caverns with her Nakita Agents, while her Drudge tunneled the swamps to my side of the caverns.
The way this reads, it sounds like you are moving all 3 of your units and then she moves her 3 units.

I'm curious - are you playing one turn at a time, following the initiative markers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write up, thanks for sharing, it deserves 2 thumbs I feel. It is always fun getting the wife to game, mine will play a lot of games, and has even played it a few times on vacation but she does not want to play this type of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane B
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The way this reads, it sounds like you are moving all 3 of your units and then she moves her 3 units.

I'm curious - are you playing one turn at a time, following the initiative markers?

We play in order of turn markers, yes. I simply prefer to write it another way, else it starts to read too much like a blow-by-blow a la chess notation. Not to mention the fact that the constant flip-flopping isn't all that appealing to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.