Popular Tags: [View All]
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
so, about 95% of images are getting tagged as "games." If an individual geekmodder indiscriminately selects "game" 100% of the time, she is able to maximize her earnings without impacting the overall usefulness of the moderations scale (she maximizes her gg because of speed not accuracy, by the way). If we all engage in this behavior, we all maximize our earnings but break the whole thing and piss off Aldie. Furthermore, auditing modders will be time consuming and thus an unreliable process for threatening consequences to those who won't play by the rules.

Anybody have a solutions that might fix this?

My proposed solution: Break down the "game" category into a number of categories (box, components, whole game, etc...). This makes it harder to just click through the images as quickly as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane B
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have wondered about this.

Fortunately for me, most of the images I have seen have clearly been in the "game" category.

I think breaking down the "game" category would mean starting all over. We're already halfway through the quarter of a million images, so all of this madness will be over in about a week. I would rather just get it over with so the site will stop operating at a crawl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mdornbrook wrote:
so, about 95% of images are getting tagged as "games." If an individual geekmodder indiscriminately selects "game" 100% of the time, she is able to maximize her earnings without impacting the overall usefulness of the moderations scale (she maximizes her gg because of speed not accuracy, by the way).

The reason is that most games have only a few images and don't need the directory split at all. OTOH, there are some games which could use five or six categories. Just deal with what we've got and don't sweat it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Like a political independent, I simply choose what I believe is right based upon the criteria as I interpret them.

This is tempered by comments from others, and by info from people like Aldie who said that screenshots might best be categorized as "creative".

Then, I am not part of the problem. Geekgold be damned if I cannot do what is right.

It doesn't fix the system, but I am doing my best within it to make my voice heard--and knowing that others are taking a thoughtful approach galvanizes my resolve!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I was outed as "Mrs. Vandemonium" on Chit Chat.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Yeah,I think we just need to be on the honor system. Even after having started a thread entitled "Will work for GeekGold" (in which I was, essentially, trying to find a faster way--for someone who has what feels like limited time to spend on the site--than modding and submitting content), I still would never thwart the system and risk pissing others off by selfishly clicking through to maximize speed rather than what I felt was "accurate" (despite the fact that, as noted above....it's all rather subjective anyway).

I guess if a number of people were doing that and there were a noticeable number of images that were clearly incorrectly categorized....it would come to the attention of the masses, sooner or later, and people would put an end to it...hopefully before too much damage was done, right?

I guess, as they say...."if it ain't broke, don't fix it," right? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you think anybody is actually doing this?

I certainly wouldn't. GG isn't worth screwing up the system for. Besides you only get your Geek Penny if it agrees with others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:

Because I found myself doing this. If I'm doing it, I'm willing to bet that others are too. The difference is that instead of saying, "use the honor system," I'm saying, "Fix the system so that we need not apply an external sense of morality in order to produce the desired outcome."

Meerkat wrote:
Besides, you only get your Geek Penny if it agrees with others.

Based on the present system, you will agree 95% of the time if you select "Game." I can choose one option, repeatedly, much more quickly than I can look at an image, decide where it belongs, and then select an appropriate option. Because there are so many images in the database, moderating more images gets you more geek pennies, so what if you miss every twentieth picture. Furthermore, if everyone is using the same methodology, no one will miss (meaning that the system will be broken and Aldie will have to fix it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
diehard4life wrote:
Like a political independent, I simply choose what I believe is right based upon the criteria as I interpret them.

This is tempered by comments from others, and by info from people like Aldie who said that screenshots might best be categorized as "creative".

Then, I am not part of the problem. Geekgold be damned if I cannot do what is right.

It doesn't fix the system, but I am doing my best within it to make my voice heard--and knowing that others are taking a thoughtful approach galvanizes my resolve!

I agree with you 100%, an stab at independent judgment without interference from self-proclaimed image categorization experts (with the exception of following the few lines of written instructions included in the system) should be at the heart of any community-based moderation system...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luckily the 'game', 'people' and 'customized' pictures usually come in batches. so I might every so often not hit the breaks fast enough and tag a pic or two 'game' when it isn't, but I usually get the signal when you need to spend a little more care. i don't know if there's any way to see these stats, but I'd guess my 'game' percent matches are similar to others...

so my take on it - speed through the pictures, just keep looking for signs when to slow down for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
mdornbrook wrote:
Meerkat wrote:

Because I found myself doing this. If I'm doing it, I'm willing to bet that others are too. The difference is that instead of saying, "use the honor system," I'm saying, "Fix the system so that we need not apply an external sense of morality in order to produce the desired outcome."

I'm confused about why you are paradoxically being honest about your dishonesty. Did your conscience get the better of you, or are you finished modding, and don't want others to be able to use the same loophole you exploited?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Rainer
Canada
Nanaimo
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Because I found myself doing this.

Please stop doing this. Problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I found I tend to select games, hover over the submit button, then momentarily review the image before hitting submit. As you say, 95% of the time it is games. The other times, I catch it, and change it.

I think this slows me down an intangible amount over just hitting games, but then again, I am on a fast connection for image downloads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I'm confused about why you are paradoxically being honest about your dishonesty.

We honest people are always honest about our dishonesty. That's what honesty is. Why are you confused?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
Anyone who indiscriminately clicks game will have all of the gg they receive for modding revoked. Or at least, I'm gonna say that, and hope it scares people into modding honestly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
russ wrote:
I'm confused about why you are paradoxically being honest about your dishonesty.

We honest people are always honest about our dishonesty. That's what honesty is. Why are you confused?

I had some crazy idea that honest people don't do dishonest things!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Cappaert
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:

I think he's not alone, I've found images that were supposed to go in creative (clearly stating in the caption that it was home made).

It is a speed issue I think, after a while you tend to automize your routine and are less alert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaneB wrote:
We're already halfway through the quarter of a million images...

That says to me that there are too many duplicate images still getting through. If you're not going to take the time to mod honestly and thoughtfully, then leave it to people who are willing to try their best. And no. I am not saying I haven't been guilty of approving a very similar image, but some games have a massive quantity of supporting pics, probably far too many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.