Popular Tags: asljr_rsp [+] [View All]
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing a short DYO game of ASLSK2 with my daughter, 2 sherman M1s and a Bofors 40mm versus 2 PZ IIIFs and a PZIIIH

the bofors won the game thanks to her rolling a snakeyes once and refusing to lose ROF the other 3 turns

Was I correct in understanding that the 40MM bofors can shoot at tanks? or was I mistaken?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dude163 wrote:

Was I correct in understanding that the 40MM bofors can shoot at tanks?

Any Gun can use VTT to shoot at tanks. It's just a question of whether they have AP ammo available or not. Since the Bofors is an underscored 40L and has no other ammo depletion notes on the flip side, it has unlimited AP. So sure, it can shoot AP rounds at tanks all day long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"So sure, it can shoot AP rounds at tanks all day long"

and it did

4 years old and already playing ASL ;p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Todd Pytel wrote:
It's just a question of whether they have AP ammo available or not.

Note also that even if a Gun does not have AP available, it can still shoot at tanks:

The American 105mm howitzer can fire at tanks using HEAT on the "Heat To Kill Table" (TK# 15) and HE on the "HE and Flame To Kill Table" (TK# 10).

The American 155mm howitzer can fire at tanks using HE (TK# 16)... it's rather amazing to realize that a 6-inch artillery shell could score a direct hit on the front armor of a Panther (18 AF) and – assuming no CH occurred – do no damage whatsoever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info Jay

I was going through a solo run of some AFV combat and my daughter wanted to roll the purple dice in my new * jungle game* (the 3rd ed BV has a purple die in it...)

I find WW2 or should I say ASL (in my limited experience) AFV combat is basically ruled by rapid fire AT guns, or tanks with Gyrostabilizers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Mids
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dude163 wrote:

I find WW2 or should I say ASL (in my limited experience) AFV combat is basically ruled by rapid fire AT guns, or tanks with Gyrostabilizers

Then you owe it to yourself to try out some of the French, Italian, or Allied/Axis Minor AFVs in the core modules. No such thing as a sure kill in those !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer72 wrote:
dude163 wrote:

Quote:
Then you owe it to yourself to try out some of the French, Italian, or Allied/Axis Minor AFVs in the core modules. No such thing as a sure kill in those !

Especially when you roll boxcars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rahman
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
it's rather amazing to realize that a 6-inch artillery shell could score a direct hit on the front armor of a Panther (18 AF) and – assuming no CH occurred – do no damage whatsoever!

In real life, if a Panther took such a hit then the turret would be jammed and the crew shaken up or injured.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, a hit on the sloped frontal armor of a panther by a shell with no armor penetration and not a lot of velocity, even a large shell, would probably just bounce off. A hit on the turret would likely glance off to one of the sides. Granted there are probably places where it would impact and cause some serious rattling of the folks inside and perhaps even cause serious damage, but this is accounted for with the CH chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Im re-reading all the old posts I made on the Sk forums as I forgot a lot over the summer ,

RE: 6 inch naval shell,
some of the late war russian tanks had 152MM guns and they had shells bounce off Tiger IIs and Panthers at extreme angles and range ,and 152 mm is 5.98 inches
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.