Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can someone suggest a good computer version of Mah-Jongg? I don't mean those Shanghai games where you try to remove duplicate tiles. I'm talking about the real Mah-Jongg game....
Thanks,
jrbentley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arrrggghhhhhh! I was goofing around and thumbed my own post!

I most certainly did NOT intend to do this! Is it possible to reverse this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Just click the thumb button again to take it away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
mbmbmbmbmb
My Mahjong-addicted friends swear by Four Winds Mah Jong. I have tried it a bit and it's very nice. A great feature is that it supports all kinds of Mahjong variants, so no matter which one is your favorite, Four Winds will probably know it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I've seen a few around, but this has the widest number of variants, and looks real nice too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco J. Piña A.
Chile
Calama
Antofagasta
flag msg tools
badge
Insert any witty/stupid overtext you can think of here... I got nothing
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Four Wings Mah-Jongg. Aside from having multiple variants, it allows you to create your own customized one, so in the remote possibility that the game doesn't include your favorite, you can make it yourself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Thirding Four Winds.

I use it to play the variant of Japanese Modern featured in the Akagi anime. You have to modify the rules and scoring, but you can adjust pretty much EVERY element in this program. It's very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there possibly an Open Source (or Freeware) variant?
I gather that 4 Winds is a Trial one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bresnick
United States
Long Island City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something I looked into for a long time as well, so I might as well put what I know on the table. Disclosures before I answer: My game rules of choice are basically Japanese Modern/Riichi. I'm not an expert at the game, but I would consider my skill level to be "Pretty good", for those that care I am currently ranked 2 dan on Tenhou with a 1650+ rating. I do not speak or read Japanese (nor do I have access to someone who can do those things), so when I say that I can work my way through a particular program's Japanese-language interface, it would be reasonable to presume that someone with no Japanese skills could do as well (if not better) than I could.

Four winds is a very nice program, and definitely worthwhile if you want to play many or obscure variants (or even test out your own rules). It also makes an alright multiplayer client, a touch of lag but very playable. Where it really fails, in my eyes, is in player AI...the computer players just kind of blunder about, so while you'll get good practice building hands and getting familiar with the game, you won't really learn how to play with other people. In fact you might find yourself learning some bad habits, since the computer players will let you get away with things that humans never would.

My single player game of choice is the latest PSP version of Mahjong Fight Club. The game is also available for the Nintendo DS, and is (from all reports) basically identical on both platforms. You can find either version pretty easily at Play-Asia.com. The DS version does offer free wireless internet play, but I haven't had the chance to really explore this option so I can't comment on it. Local multiplayer is supported (amongst multiple PSPs and DSs), but it's a bit unlikely that you'll be able to gather 4 people, each with a PSP, or each with a DS and a copy of the game. Either way, the game itself is very well done, with a nice ranking system and some very strong AI players. I have suspected a few times that the game falls a bit short of truly random, but it could really be my own suspicions getting the better of me. Either way, playing MFC will give you a decent handle on competitive play - what tiles are risky, how to avoid someone's Riichi, how to build your hand effectively, etc. I have shared this software with a few friends and it has definitely helped improve their game.

For serious competition, online is really the only way to go. There are a few good places to play online. Ron2 (http://www.ron2.jp) is sponsored by the JPML (Japan Pro Mahjong League), and they will let you have a few days of free trial but they then charge $5/month. In addition to the monthly fee, the entire interface is in Japanese. It's possible to work your way through it with zero language skills, but it's a bit of a learning curve. The upside is that there are many professional players who play there, and you gain access to a library of their past games. There are also many good observation and learning tools. You can find a guide to how to get started on Ron2 here:

http://www.reachmahjong.com/home/index.php?option=com_conten...

My current online play site of choice is Tenhou (http://tenhou.net), mostly because it's free . The initial page is a bit confusing, though, there are actually two versions of the client. One is a downloaded application and while it's very nice, it also costs $5/month to use. The other is entirely web-based (and accessed by clicking the buttons that say 'PLAY'), and free. Unlike Ron2 and many other sites, you don't get a username and password. Instead, you get a single "passcode" that you have to enter in order to access your user. Be careful to remember yours, because if you forget it there's no facility that I know of to return it to you! It's a pretty good experience overall, though. Unfortunately I don't have a guide handy, but feel free to ask if you want some help getting setup, I should still remember .

Both sites have good stat-tracking/rating/ranking facility, and both are stocked with a good quotient of skilled players to test your skill against. Both will try to match you with people of similar skill level for your games, so you don't have to worry about jumping into a pool of sharks (though there's no real penalty for losing). Also, at neither site will people expect you to chat much, if at all, so you don't have to worry about being "rude" or doing the wrong thing.

Hopefully this massive essay has helped you out a bit, although if you were looking to play one of the Chinese variants I probably haven't assisted at all . Feel free to contact me with questions/corrections/additional information, as it's always good to have more data!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.