Popular Tags: [View All]
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a random scenario of CC last night, and a number of strange things took place, as usual. My volksgrenadier company was to keep the American Elite Rifle company from capturing a BIG Building on the most dense city map. Objective 5 was worth 3 + 4 points due to open objectives, and my opponent's secret objective, revealed early during the game, gave it 5 MORE victory points.

This building was right on the front line, and should have been easy for the Americans to take from the volksgrenadiers and keep, except that I had rolled an 11 for purchasable starting units and then bought six pioneer squads with satchel charges and one of the 12 firepower infantry guns, while still keeping defender status ! I put the pioneers in the 12 point objective building, but back from the front wall, intending to horribly demo charge any American stacks which would appear inside.

Immediately a blaze started in those building hexes in which I had set up (damned careless smokers), and spread promptly across the building, making my pioneers hop smartly out of the way, and creating two 'safe' frontline building hexes available to the Americans. The Yanks cleverly captured that expensive objective after I hooked my Pioneers around and brought them forward along another road. Bad move on my part, and a twenty-four point movement of the points marker !!

Fire spread some more, and one of the American squads displaced by fire could ONLY move to an edge-of-board building hex which was then completely surrounded by blazes ! Couldn't see him, fire at him, I could only hope that the blazes would continue to spread and chase him off-board.

My returning, flanking Pioneers did their job, and kicked the Yanks back out of the objective building, EXCEPT for that uncapturable hex surrounded by blazes containing the trapped American squad, happily roasting weenies and drying out their clothes! Nothing I could do could get those 24 points back. My opponent won by a single point on time trigger ten.

Very fun game. Every time I play I learn more tactics to NEVER try again!

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Massey
United States
Teachey
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Casual wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chicklewis wrote:
Played a random scenario of CC last night, and a number of strange things took place, as usual. My volksgrenadier company was to keep the American Elite Rifle company from capturing a BIG Building on the most dense city map. Objective 5 was worth 3 + 4 points due to open objectives, and my opponent's secret objective, revealed early during the game, gave it 5 MORE victory points.

This building was right on the front line, and should have been easy for the Americans to take from the volksgrenadiers and keep, except that I had rolled an 11 for purchasable starting units and then bought six pioneer squads with satchel charges and one of the 12 firepower infantry guns, while still keeping defender status ! I put the pioneers in the 12 point objective building, but back from the front wall, intending to horribly demo charge any American stacks which would appear inside.

Immediately a blaze started in those building hexes in which I had set up (damned careless smokers), and spread promptly across the building, making my pioneers hop smartly out of the way, and creating two 'safe' frontline building hexes available to the Americans. The Yanks cleverly captured that expensive objective after I hooked my Pioneers around and brought them forward along another road. Bad move on my part, and a twenty-four point movement of the points marker !!

Fire spread some more, and one of the American squads displaced by fire could ONLY move to an edge-of-board building hex which was then completely surrounded by blazes ! Couldn't see him, fire at him, I could only hope that the blazes would continue to spread and chase him off-board.

My returning, flanking Pioneers did their job, and kicked the Yanks back out of the objective building,
Quote:
EXCEPT for that uncapturable hex surrounded by blazes containing the trapped American squad, happily roasting weenies and drying out their clothes!
Nothing I could do could get those 24 points back. My opponent won by a single point on time trigger ten.

Very fun game. Every time I play I learn more tactics to NEVER try again!

Chick

You forgot the marshmallows!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Low probability occurrence, an 'uncapturable' objective
A lot of people would think that makes CC a poor game, since things like that can happen. But I think that's exactly the kind of story that makes the game so much fun. I think the best games are the ones where you can retell a story afterwards like you were there!

Good report!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.