Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Gilligan
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.nexusgames.com/read.asp?id=3097

I used Google to translate this page on the Nexus site and it did a pretty damn good job. There were a few oddities (it translated Dice of Fate as Nuts of Fate) but for the most part easily understandable and readable.

I'm really looking forward to this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tuttle
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, where can I find some "nuts of fate"? I bet Conan has some gigantic "nuts of fate".

I hope this game is good, I love Conan and want this to be at least good, if not great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco Nepitello
Italy
Venezia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Samuraicat wrote:
http://www.nexusgames.com/read.asp?id=3097

I used Google to translate this page on the Nexus site and it did a pretty damn good job. There were a few oddities (it translated Dice of Fate as Nuts of Fate) but for the most part easily understandable and readable.

I'm really looking forward to this one.

The page will soon be available in English.

Francesco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
a single pool of nuts, from which fish all players

What can I say to top that?

Anyway, I hope it involves something about each of the non-player kingdoms. They are all interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a little altavista give us this little gem:n

"the Barbarians move from one adventure to an other, accumulateing Treasures, killing Monster and conquering Women"

Sure sounds like a Conan Game to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Fanhoni
Italy
flag msg tools
Hi, here you have the English version of the article published on Nexus' website:

“Age of Conan – The Strategy Board Game”: Adventure, intrigue and warfare in the Hyborian Age

With a host of miniatures, a huge board and innovative mechanics, the game recreates the ‘age undreamed of’ invented by R. E. Howard. Age of Conan is currently in production, and is expected to be released in early Summer 2008

A big-box board game for 2 to 4 players, Age of Conan puts players in the throne rooms of some among the most important kingdoms of the Hyborian Age. Aquilonia, Turan, Stygia and Hyperborea strive for supremacy, and are willing to use any weapon available, be it intrigue, open warfare, or even sorcery. All the while, Conan, the black-haired Cimmerian, creates his legend taking adventures in every corner of the Hyborian world, never giving his allegiance to any kingdom for more than a brief stint. Iconic Fate and Combat dice, a Strategy deck and individual Kingdom decks bring to life the colourful universe of Conan the Barbarian, made of sorcerous spells, violent battles and diverse characters, in a game that can be won by the most ruthless player, or maybe by the one that best manages the double-edged personality that is Conan.
Will Conan wear the Crown of your Kingdom, or tread his throne under his sandalled feet?
A ge of Conan – The Strategy Board Game , is published by Nexus Editrice and is designed by the same team that created the best selling board game War of the Ring (Marco Maggi, Francesco Nepitello and Roberto Di Meglio).
Here follow some additional information.

The “player” nations
Aquilonia, Turan, Stygia, Hyperborea are the four kingdoms available as player nations in the game. These kingdoms were chosen over others due to their relevance in the stories, but also to ensure that each player would have a distinct set of capabilities and possible strategies at his disposal. Each kingdom has its own deck of cards (Kingdom Decks) filled with characters, special army units, magical artifacts, events and more. The composition of each deck recreates the peculiarities of a given kingdom, simulating for example its availability of good officers, or powerful sorcerers, or of elite military units.

Conan the Barbarian
In the game, Conan is present as a “force of nature” that the players try to drive in their chosen direction, but can never completely govern. The control of the hero changes from player to player in the course of the game, as the barbarian moves from adventure to adventure, accumulating Treasure, killing Monsters and conquering Women. Controlling Conan, albeit briefly, will sometime let a player hire him to fight in battles and sieges, or even to meddle in intrigue. In the long run, the way each player handles the barbarian will shape his attitude towards the various player nations, and will be an important condition to win. But again, be wary, as Conan can be a great help to a kingdom, but also a major threat.

Game mechanics
Inspired initally by the best-selling War of the Ring game, Age of Conan has grown much during development, to adapt to a different setting and different mode of play. Age of Conan portrays a slow attrition of multiple forces striving to increase their power and influence, where the adventures of an individual hero can make the difference. The core mechanic is still based on a modified Action dice system, adapted to work with a single pool of ‘Fate’ dice available to all players. Also worth mentioning here is the all-new "campaign system" – where the military subjugation of an indipendent kingdom depends on a series of linked battles, so that an extended effort is needed to overcome the many neutral powers of the Hyborian Age.

Art and components
The stunning cover art was created by the conceptual artist J.P. Targete. His work highlights the richness of Howard’s setting, from the characterization of Conan himself, to the background dominated by exotic buildings and vast armies. Fabio Maiorana is in charge of the graphic design, and is producing a worthy sequel to the beautiful designs he made for games like the series of Wings of War and Micro Mutants .
Military and diplomatic units will be represented by high-quality plastic miniatures, as well as Conan the Barbarian himself, and buildings representing forts and palaces are featured. The big game board, seven decks of cards, Adventure tiles, iconic Fate and Combat dice complete this luxurious edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Sund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Wow, I can't wait to get my hands on this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels B.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep. Yep.... WHAT?! WHAT?! What?!
badge
The President has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?
mbmbmbmbmb
Most interesting information I gather from this:
- game for 2 to 4 players -> interesting, that it is "only" 4 (fine by me), but cool that you will be able to play it with 2. I guess there won't be a big negotiation/diplomatic element then? 5th and 6th player in a potential expansion...?
- "With a host of miniatures, a huge board and innovative mechanics" -> I know it is an advertisement statement, but that sounds exactly right.
- "Strategy deck and individual Kingdom decks" -> I like that. With a lot of playtesting (which seems to go quite a while now) it should be possible to give the powers comparable strenghts. Aquilonia, Turan, Stygia, Hyperborea is a good and diverse choice.
- "Also worth mentioning here is the all-new "campaign system" – where the military subjugation of an indipendent kingdom depends on a series of linked battles, so that an extended effort is needed to overcome the many neutral powers of the Hyborian Age." -> I love the sound of that! I can't remember that this aspect has been included in a game yet. Sounds like a perfect way to incorporate years of warfare. angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Hope
United States
Woodside
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game had fallen off my wishlist, but this information has re-piqued my curiosity and I'll have to think about picking it up when it's released.

I only played War of the Ring once, and it had some neat concepts. I'm not a fan of Lord of the Rings, though. Conan, on the other hand, I quite like.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.