Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Am I having fun yet?
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I played this tonight and we were discussing why it hasn't been real good as a gateway game and/or when we introduce it to someone who hasn't played it before. We think one of the problems is in explaining the scoring. The farms in particular are hard to explain to a new player (let's be honest, as an experienced player, I still have problems with the farm scoring. blush )

We thought if we just dropped the farm scoring for beginners, using the scoring for roads and cities only, it might make it easier to learn. You can add the farm scoring later giving the game a new twist for the beginner with a couple of games under his belt. Maybe someone has already suggested this, but let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slovakia Steph
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Slovak flag...proud 7/8 Slovak, 1/8 Polish
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, folks have suggested this before. I've tried it and it works okay but takes out what I think is the most interesting strategy-- and for us, usually ends up in more castle-sharing. Also, I think it means that those who pull more castles are more likely to win, so takes the luck factor up further.

Unless I don't know the person very well (and thus don't know if they can handle it), I'll go ahead and teach them the farmers. Better to learn the game correctly the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely use the new farm rules, where farming is done by farm (how may cities touch this farm?) rather than by city (how many farms touch this city?) Subtle, but so much easier to deal with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shayne fedorek
Canada
flag msg tools
yes,me and my wife train newbies this way,but we only use 4 or 5 meeples per player to retain a level of strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Talorien
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a good experience with introducing non-gamers in this way

spacebush wrote:
yes,me and my wife train newbies this way,but we only use 4 or 5 meeples per player to retain a level of strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.