Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came up with an idea for a herald to simulate the plot of Ghostbusters, but I am currently too lazy to download the templates and stuff to graphicly design it, so I'm just going to post the idea here.

The gist of it is that Gozer will try to use monsters to turn two investigators into the Gate Keeper and Key Master. The two of them then try to reach each other. If they succeed then the GOO awakens early.

Enjoy.

Gozer, Herald of the Destroyer

The first time an investigator fails a horror check or combat check against a monster with the same home dimension (movement symbol) as an open gate:

1)The character is devoured.

2)The monster is returned to the cup

3)The Gate Keeper (a spawn monster) is put on the board in their place.

The second time it happens repeat the steps, putting the Key Master in play.

Stats for the Gate Keeper and Key Master

Awareness: +3
Movement: green (special, see below)
Home Dimension: moon

Abilities: Physical Immunity, Magical Immunity
Horror Rating: +0
Horror Damage: 1
Combat Rating: +1
Combat Damage: 1
Toughness:1

Special Rules for the Gate Keeper and Key Master

The GK and KM never die. If they are defeated in combat they are sent to the Asylum or the Police Station, player's choice. All other monster-removing game effects send them to the Hospital. While at these locations they cannot fight or be fought, and are free to leave when it's their turn to move.

The GK and KM do not count toward the monster limit.

Special Movement: While the Gate Keeper is alone on the board it does not move. If both of them are in play the GK moves one space toward the KM when the moon is in the white box, and the KM moves one space toward the GK when the moon is in the black box.

If they end the Mythos Phase in the same location, the GOO awakens.

Design notes:
The GK and KM are investigators who are possessed, like Dana and Louis in the film. The possesion mechanic makes open gates inherently dangereous and that gives players more motivation to close them before they are ready to seal them.

The big +3 bonus in their awareness reflects the fact that they are not looking for trouble. You can pretty much evade them at will unless you are very unlucky.

They are puny fighters, even with the immunities. The challenge is to keep them separated. With the distance between the Asylum and Police Station, and the rate at which they move, it will take an average of 9 rounds for them to meet when starting at those two locations. How long do you wait before sending someone to push them back?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Not bad; it matches the power of the 'global effects' of the other GoOs pretty well, I think. There's still a lot of finesse on how big to make the Doom track, combat powers, etc.

The only concern I'd have is what 'towards each other' means. I don't have the map right here, but I can imagine a situation where a player could waste a turn or two moving them so that they're technically moving towards each other, but not really getting closer. I don't know, exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a GOO, it's a Herald, like the King in Yellow.

I don't imagine movement will be a problem, because they never move at the same time. Just have them follow the shortest path. If there is more than one shortest path, priority is given to the arrow it would normally follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jennings
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
hrhtomas wrote:
I am currently too lazy to download the templates and stuff to graphicly design it, so I'm just going to post the idea here.

You might find it useful to use Strange Eons as a tool to overcome your laziness. It'll create cards for you without the need to use any image editing tools.

All you'd need to do is paste in the text and point the program to appropriate image files to use as portraits.

It is listed in the links section, but here is a URL:
http://www.sfu.ca/~cjenning/eons/

Cheers,
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcin Pędich
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
thelric wrote:
hrhtomas wrote:
I am currently too lazy to download the templates and stuff to graphicly design it, so I'm just going to post the idea here.

You might find it useful to use Strange Eons as a tool to overcome your laziness. It'll create cards for you without the need to use any image editing tools.

All you'd need to do is paste in the text and point the program to appropriate image files to use as portraits.

It is listed in the links section, but here is a URL:
http://www.sfu.ca/~cjenning/eons/

Cheers,
Chris

It's actually easier than writing it all down here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, it's this easy.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~wettges/Gozer-Zuul-Vinz.zip
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Inguanzo
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Super. I was hoping someone would save me the trouble. The only thing I would have done differently is use stills of floating Dana and red-eyed Louis for the monsters

Have a tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.