Oaken Brawler
Order of the Golden Cricket x2
Sentry Oak
Shinewend
Stonybrook Schoolmaster
Surge of Thoughtweft
Triclopean Sight
Wellgabber Apothecary

There are a lot of decent cards in here, but nothing that really makes me want to play white. Particularly annoying is the total lack of removal - white got two good common removal spells in Morningtide, but this pool has nothing. If I have to play this, I don't expect to do all that well.

Aquitect's Will
Captivating Glance
Disperse
Distant Melody
Ethereal Whiskergill
Faerie Trickery
Fencer Clique
Floodchaser
Mothdust Changeling x2
Mulldrifter
Notorious Throng
Paperfin Rascal
Research the Deep
Sage of Fables
Sage's Dousing
Stonybrook Banneret
Stream of Unconsciousness
Tideshaper Mystic

I'll almost certainly be at least splashing blue - Notorious Throng is just a huge bomb, and would be amazing without the prowl ability. The Mulldrifter is also quite nice. Distant Melody seems good, and Fencer Clique is excellent if unsplashable, but there's not a lot of depth here. I have some very nice wizard support without the requisite decent wizards.

Boggart Harbinger
Footbottom Feast
Liliana Vess
Morsel Theft
Nightshade Stinger
Peppersmoke
Pulling Teeth x2
Skeletal Changeling
Weed Strangle
Weed-Pruner Poplar

I hate to leave Liliana out, but 11 black cards total just isn't going to cut it as a main color, and double black is going to be very hard to splash.

Axegrinder Giant
Blind-Spot Giant
Boggart Sprite-Chaser
Faultgrinder
Flamekin Bladewhirl
Inner-Flame Acolyte
Kindled Fury
Lunk Errant
Mudbutton Clanger
Mudbutton Torchrunner
Release the Ants
Roar of the Crowd
Smokebraider
Sunflare Shaman
Thundercloud Shaman
War-Spike Changeling

Now this looks playable. I have several removal spells, including the very powerful Thundercloud Shaman, and a nice little giant theme. I've seen some disparaging comments about Release the Ants, but it's always been good for me.

Ambassador Oak
Bosk Banneret
Earthbrawn
Elvish Warrior
Everbark Shaman
Game-Trail Changeling
Gilt-Leaf Archdruid
Hunting Triad x2
Leaf-Crowned Elder
Luminescent Rain
Nath's Elite
Recross the Paths
Rootgrapple
Spring Cleaning
Sylvan Echoes
Warren-Scourge Elf
Wolf-Skull Shaman
Woodland Changeling
Wren's Run Vanquisher

And this is very good. Hunting Triad is a great card in both modes. Wolf-Skull Shaman and Leaf-Crown Elder both have the potential to be absolutely amazing if I hit their kinship triggers, and there are plenty of roleplayers and changelings here.

Brion Stoutarm

And just to solidify the Giant theme, we have this monster. I'm never sad to have Brion in my deck.

Moonglove Extract
Springleaf Drum
Veteran's Armaments

Howltooth Hollow
Vivid Creek

After quite a bit of thought, I ended up with this:

Mulldrifter
Notorious Throng
Blind-Spot Giant
Inner-Flame Acolyte
Mudbutton Torchrunner
Release the Ants
Roar of the Crowd
Smokebraider
Thundercloud Shaman
War-Spike Changeling
Ambassador Oak
Earthbrawn
Game-Trail Changeling
Hunting Triad x2
Leaf-Crowned Elder
Nath's Elite
Rootgrapple
Wolf-Skull Shaman
Woodland Changeling
Wren's Run Vanquisher
Brion Stoutarm
Moonglove Extract
Vivid Creek
Mountain x6
Island x2
Forest x6
Plains x2

This is a very greedy mana base, and there's not a lot of synergy here, but I do have some huge bombs.

Round 1 vs. BJ

BJ is a regular player in the area. He was running what looked like a GU deck. He won the roll, and I was forced to throw back my first seven. My six were very acceptable, though, and I was able to Release the Ants his leaf-guilder turn 2, drop a Vanquisher turn 3, and a War-Spike turn 4. He dropped a Pestermite and played Mind Spring for three. I thought I was in serious trouble, particularly when he played Footbottom Feast to get back his now-dead creatures, but I did manage to get down my Ambassador Oak. As it turned out, though, he had drawn nothing but land. He decided to tap my Vanquisher and double-block my War-Spike due to a brain fart, and when I gave the War-Spike first strike he conceded. I had a playable hand game two, and again got some early 3/3s on the table, but he managed to get down Waterspout Weavers. That would be a serious problem if he got kinship, but fortunately he never hit before I managed to get rid of them with help from Earthbrawn. He had revealed a violet pall during a clash, but he never saw a swamp except on a Fathom Trawl, and I was able to drop Brion and pound through for the win.

Round 2 vs. Justin

Justin was playing a green-white deck. Game one wasn't particularly close - I drew 11 land to 9 spells, and he flattened me with help from a well-timed Swell of Courage. Game two was quite close - we had very similar starts topping out at Game-Trail Changeling. I had more Hunting Triads, however, and the reinforce was enough to push through for the win. Game three was also uninteresting - he mulliganed to six and only saw two land. My deck is quick enough to punish that start fairly severely.

Round 3 vs. Peter

Peter was playing UGR. I had a slow start, and I found out the major reason for the red when he dropped a fifth turn Chandra. This absorbed two round of attacks from my Torchrunner, my Game-Trail Changeling, and Release the Ants. I actually managed to stabilize from this, and I had even started to turn the game around when he managed to use Hunting Triad to reinforce his Streambed Aquitects. I don't have any non-damage-based ways to kill creatures, so an effective 6/7 was a major problem. I would kill it on the attack, but I couldn't attack into it, so a ground stall developed while a Mothdust Changeling slowly dropped my life. I got Brion and a Mulldrifter down, but he had another Hunting Triad to pump the Changeling and I went down before I could kill him off. Games two and three weren't all that close, though, as my deck started to behave. (My notes for this round are not very good - we were very rushed after a late start).

Round 4 vs. Kellen

Kellen was playing a decent-seeming black-green deck, but my deck really came to play this round. Game one saw me with the war-spike and the vanquisher swinging on turn five. Kellen elected not to block, and since I had missed my fifth land drop I decided to just go ahead and play my Throng without prowl. Six flyers took a healthy chunk out of his life total, but he
managed to stabilize at three... just in time for my Torchrunner to show up. He went down a couple of turns later. Game two just saw an absurd succession of bombs - he was able to get rid of Leaf-Crowned Elder and Brion, but the Thundercloud Shaman backed up by a 6/6 War-Spike Changeling was a bit too much for him to handle.

Round 5 vs. Abe

I was the only undefeated player at this point - Abe was 3-0-1. Abe was running a BWGu deck that seemed to have a lot of warriors. I had to mulligan game one, but my six were again very good, and Abe's deck delivered a hideously slow start. His first two plays were Battle-Axes, while I quickly built up a creature base. He was able to kill two, but when he tried to Barrage Nath's Elite I had the Hunting Triad to bring it up to 7/5. Two swings from that were enough to finish him off. Game two saw me again lead with a mulligan. We played a close game, with lots of damage moving back and forth, but I managed to clear out his creatures with a well-timed Hunting Triad after he lost a clash on Fistful of Force, then play the second Triad to create some elves and Roar of the Crowd him out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved reading this - i haven't played magic for many years and just following all the game specific slang is excellent. Must get my cards out soon, used to have a killer enchantress deck - now that dates me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoskins
United States
OKC
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TrotskyTrotsky wrote:
I loved reading this - i haven't played magic for many years and just following all the game specific slang is excellent. Must get my cards out soon, used to have a killer enchantress deck - now that dates me!

Yes! Enchantress was really good (in type 1) circa '95 - '96. Is that about the timeframe you played?

She was reprinted in 9th ed and given a white equivalent in Timespiral. This made for a Not-terribly-killer Standard (type 2) deck, but certainly a lot of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.