Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Im in the process of trying to hook 3 ppl on the whole ASLSK/SK experience, but they arent too keen on playing the USA or Russians

using the BPV on the counters , can you just replace say the US paras with Brit ones or commonwealth counters from SK2 and 3 ( or pegasus Bridge?)

Im sure you can , I was just wondering if anyone else had tried it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never done that, cardboard never had such an attachment to me I guess. If you don't care about fairness or balance then you can scenario bash however you want. Just remember the nationalities have specific FP and behavior characteristics that were used to 'balance' a published scenario. It is really not much different then a DYO though.
ASL is a tough hook if you can't play the US or Russians though.

If you are going to VASL, I'd just download the 75 or so Tactics and all the View From the Trenches scenario's and pick out the British ones.
You can easily play those with SK modified rules, especally to get someone into the hobby.

If you have PB, just play those scenario's with SK rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
re: PB with SK rules, yes thats what will probably happen , even though they use night rules and gliders

I found this site that lists all the units by nationality and the BPVs etc

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/ASL/asl-downloads.asp

for the first scenario Reataking Vierville, replacing the USA 7-4-7s with the British 6-4-8s is the same BPV

to be honest, I didnt really care for the US either in ASL, but after playing a few games with the elite paras, and the 6-6-6 troops, I can see that the low morale isnt as bad as I feared, the have a lot of leaders and the broken morale is quite high , some of them go from 6 to 8 for example

thanks for the reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have hangups with nationalities, you may want to esplore ATS because I believe they are standalone games. ASL is a system about tactics and is nationality independant. It is very Russian / American heavy even if the British mod's were in print. You'll be spending a lot of money on games you don't want in order to get the boards to play the small amount (% relative) of nationality specific scenario's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ATS looked promising, but I prefer the intricacies of ASL

( Plus I dont want to have to keep teaching new game systems to my Dad )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Gifford
United States
South Sioux City
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Intriguing thought. As said earlier, the nationalities usually have their own unique personalities and as such, balance might be a little off. In early games, though, balance is out of wack anyway because you haven't learned the skills that will teach you to keep your head down!

(Much the way it works in real life. You see the tactic got a bunch of good troops broken, and you don't do that again!)

There are zillions of combinations of OOBs in ASL. Even in the SK's it isn't that terrible. Hang in there, and the system will reward you with great game time.

---Russ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoobysnacks wrote:

If you are going to VASL, I'd just download the 75 or so Tactics and all the View From the Trenches scenario's and pick out the British ones.

does anyone have a link to these 2?

(tactics and VFTT?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alpha Mastrano
Australia
Heidelberg
Victoria, Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dude163 wrote:

does anyone have a link to these 2?

(tactics and VFTT?)

These VFTT pdfs?

http://www.vftt.co.uk/vfttpdfs.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cha-Ching..........winner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.