Puerto Rico» Forums » General

Subject: Hi everybody rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Schoenberg
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hi everyone. I'm fairly new around BGG (though I have been lurking for a while) and thought I'd finally post something and make my introduction.

Last week I played my first game of Puerto Rico. It was a 5 player game and it mostly consisted of me going, "why on earth would they take that?" and one turn later "ohhh thats what they were planning, I get it now". Needless to say the game didn't end so well for me. Since then I've been reading some of the articles and it looks like I'll be playing another game this week.

What I'm wondering is how much does this game differ when played with 3 people as opposed to 5? It seems like you would have to change you plans quite a bit since you have that much less control over the game.

So if anyone has any tips for going into a 3 player game I'm all ears.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Rikberg
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that the most obvious difference is in trading. The trading house still holds four goods. With three players this means that once someone has picked the trader, the trading house will have one open spot. You want to be the player getting to trade when none of the others can.

Also it is more likely, at least early in the game, that someone will have a monopoly on some good. It is in his advantage to get a ship for that good. In particular if you have coffee and/or tobacco monopoly, try getting them on large ships to block the corn shippers from using those ships.

Edit 1: Spelling
Edit 2: Please use a better title for your posts. It'll get you more answers and avoid duplicate threads in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played mainly 3 player. Not sure if I'm understanding what you are saying - as with most games the fewer players the more control each player has (or feels like you have). Number of rounds is probably not much different, so with 3 you are Governor more often. With 5 it seems like an eternity until Governor rolls round again, and the next couple of rounds you are picking roles last and second last so you better make good use of that Governor.

In terms of tips, I don't know really - obviously you always need to watch when you craft and who will benefit and by how much. Watch for roles you can pick where only you benefit or the others benefit little. With PR it is soemtimes better to just play and learn as you go I reckon. Reading too much strategy can sometime suck all the fun out of it.

From my experience 3 player "seems" a bit easier than 4 or 5 player ie. the role to select is often fairly obvious. Four and five player seems to be much tighter - my prefence would be with 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well. Things like the Construction Hut become of different value with different numbers of people playing. I rarely grab it in the many two-player games I have, but I imagine it could be invaluble with 5 players.

The Office is more useful with fewer players, and the Trading House is more useful with more players.

If you're in a 5p game, try to get your hands on a Wharf, or something similar (Small Wharf?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.