Subject: What next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Schoenberg
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hello.

The wife and I picked uo Carcassonne about a month ago and we've been playing it non stop ever since. So far we have also gotten Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders. I was just wondering what would be the next expansion to buy. I was thinking of looking for the River II (since its cheep) but thought I'd see what everyone thought would be the next step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, a month in, I'd suggest trying a different game.

We played Carcassonne a lot in the early days, but believe it or not, you WILL eventually find the shine wears off slightly, and you have all the most popular expansions already.

I would look at another game that plays well with couples and then later return to the Carcassonne expansions, maybe with Carcassonne: Expansion 5 – Abbey & Mayor. That way, you will hopefully broaden your horrisons a little now, while you are very enthusiastic about Carcassonne.

In terms of other light-ish weight games that play well with two, I would suggest, say, San Juan, Lost Cities, Mr. Jack and perhaps Catan Card Game.

Welcome to the strange world of BGG!

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
To each his own. If you want to play it non-stop, good for you! I would play it all the time but my girlfriend gets burned out on it. So I have to take a break from it - which is why it probably does stay fresh for me.

Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Builders are must-haves in my opinion. I also think Abbey & Mayor qualifies as a must-have. The River and River II are always in our mix as well. We like the larger river, though it doesn't add a whole lot to the game.

I came to the table late on Carcassonne but still followed the general order of when the expansions were published. I tried each one in order to see what worked for our group and what didn't. Princess & Dragon is decent but not something we play often but we found that it works better for more players than in 2-player games. The Tower and The Count don't go in the mix; neither ever really caught on with our group. The King didn't work too well for our larger group but I thought it played well with 2-players. We keep the tiles in the mix but only use the rules when it is just 2 of us playing. I like Cathars as well but it also doesn't see a lot of play. The Games Quarterly expansion was decent enough. Not too much that was earth-shattering but good enough to keep in the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Never fear; I is here.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, this is not an expansion to Carcassonne, but rather a totally separate Carcassonne game. All the same, it's great. Carcassonne: The Castle is a wonderful two-player only game that slightly mixes up the Carcassonne formula. I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
I second Susie's suggestion - look into other games instead. Carc is a really great game, and doesn't need anything beyond the 2 expansions you've already got. I've averaged more than a play a day for the past year with those 2 expansions and I'm not burned out on it. I've read up on the other expansions and the only one that looks to me like it might be a net improvement is Abbey & Mayor.

Susie's suggestions are all good as 2-player options without getting much more complicated than Carc. Another is Battle Line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
msg tools
There's the best place to pick up the (3rd edition) expansions - The River II, Inns & Cathedrals, and Traders & Builders?

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.