Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I just bought Bohnanza last night and played twice through with my family. Since we were not so familiar with the payout scales for the different types of beans, there were a few times where one of us planted a higher number of beans than the maximum payout. For example, Chili Beans pay 4 gold for 9 beans, and someone might have planted 10 or 11 of them before realizing they had gone past the maximum number of useful beans in the field.

We got better at monitoring this, but in our last game there came a time where one of us played the first card in their hand, a green bean, and that bean equaled the max payout. That person proceeded to play their next card, an additional green bean, on the same field before harvesting. This allowed them to get the extra green bean out of the 1st position for next turn.

Since this exact thing had happened incidentally before, we allowed the play, but it didn't seem quite right. I can't find anything in the rules that addresses this directly.

Can a player plant more beans in their field than the max payout amount? If not, what happens if they go above on accident (perhaps make them harvest the max and re-plant the extras immediately in the same field?)?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing in the rules to stop you planting more beans than the max payout. Its probably a good idea if you have one or two extra beans in your hand, as it gets rid of them when it is unlikely many more will be appearing or that many other players will want them in trade (since you have already planted the max payout, a high proportion of that type of bean has already been seen: this logic is less applicable if you are just about to reshuffle the discards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is correct. You can plant more than the max number needed for the highest payout. One reason I've found the need to do this is to get to another card further down in my hand. We've also taken an the 'extra' card from someone as part of a trade that allows you to gain something else along with it even though it doesn't do anything for the return on that field. Then again, we've played so much we have all sorts of creative trading, including IOU cards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
already covered above. For those reasons, I tend to keep my bean field and harvest them at the VERY LAST possible moment to get rid of any extra bean cards in my hand. E.g., I have one chili bean in my hand, but plenty of other types to start good gold-earning fields, so I'll plant that chili bean past the max for that field and won't have to deal with any 'stray' chili beans for a while
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkoBeta wrote:
Can a player plant more beans in their field than the max payout amount?

As others have already answered, yes, you can plant more beans than the maximum payout, and this is often done to clear an extra card. When I played my first game, the two players who had played before kept using the term "autoharvest", but there is no autoharvest. Even though you've reached the four gold payoff level you should leave the beans in the field until you want to plant something else in that field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.