Recommend
29 
 Thumb up
 Hide
50 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » Geek of the Week

Subject: Geek of the Week #126 Tino rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gotw [+] [View All]
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tino first caught my eye when he joined in the Blue Moon themed Werewolf game. He drew the attention of pretty much everyone because of his intensity and impressive high participation in the game from a newbie! I am also proud of myself for reading him correctly as a fellow good guy in said game. To many players' delight Tino played more games.
we won't mentioned his second game where I screwed my wolf's win by sniping on the wrong day... sigh Tino was hunter in that game
His third game was an AutoMod Game, Masters of Evil... sigh, thanks to an evil player damn you kima! revealing as seer and pretty much calling me evil (I was only a villager) everyone voted me. I tried to defend myself anyways. Most didn't believe me, but Tino was one of the few that ended up not voting on me at lynch deadline. That was the bestest thing ever!!

Well, then a handful of games later he was evil a few times. He did very well because I don't recall that I suspected him, or at least on time!

I had always thought GotW should also be about meeting fellow geeks who aren't as well known. So I thought and thought about who to pick and I decided on Tino! So without further ado... Here is Tino!!

And after reading some of his answers on his favorite picks of games, looks like I choose well!

Tino

Tino wrote:
Wow! Thanks Xand! I'm honoured to be your pick for Geek of the Week. Especially since I'm a pretty low profile poster.
I didn't see this coming. Nextinline was right, you are indeed a sneaky one
I guess I owe you an online game of Mr. Jack as soon as I have a little more time on my hands. kiss

About me

I'm a single guy without any pets. I was born in 1977 and lived in a tiny village called Tienhoven until I was 8. At that time my parents decided that they did not like the small mindedness and religious intolerance around there and we moved to a big city, Amersfoort. I've lived there until I moved to Enschede to start studying communications at the university.
Currently I'm still living in Enschede, working on my graduation paper.

My gaming history

In our youth my sister and me where introduced to some of the traditional family games by my parents. My father had played a lot of traditional games in his youth, and tried introducing games as a way for the family to spend quality time together.
I can only remember monopoly and a few cardgames. I remember liking cardgames and hating monopoly. (Perhaps my memory of monopoly is tainted somewhat by the games where my little sister decided that the money of the bank should be in her pockets)
My first real introduction to gaming started at my grandmothers house. I watched my parents and an aunt and uncle playing bridge. I didn't have a clue why some people kept saying "pass" and others kept naming numbers and colours, but I was immediately interested. When my father saw my interest he decided to teach me and my sister to play.
It became our favorite family game.

During high school family gaming got less interesting as me and my sister preferred to hang out more with the people of our own age. I started playing cardgames during the breaks at school. Then one of the boys from my class introduced me to magic. I got hooked and spend a lot of money. Through magic I got to know a lot of people that where much more interesting than the people in my school.
After a while the magic addiction started to wear off. That's about the time my sister's boyfriend lend me a copy of a roleplaying book (Middle Earth Roleplaying). So I got into roleplaying and formed a group with some of my magic friends. Somewhere along the way one of my friends introduced me to Heroquest and Axis and Allies.

When I enrolled at the university in Enschede I quickly discovered that I could get some of my friends and roommates interested in the few small cardgames I had. Games like guillotine and munchkin went over well. My interest in gaming got more serious when one of my roommates bought settlers. At the same time someone with a bigger game collection than mine entered my social circle. Seeing the growing interest in games I started to buy bigger, more expensive games. Which, in turn, got more of my friends interested. My social circle now contains several occasional gamers and a few gamers who have a reasonable collection themselves.

Tino wrote:
Two truths and a lie:

At the university I joined an improvising theater group called Pro Deo. (Also called "theater sport". It's about humorous assignments like improvising a short scene and acting it out in different emotions) Once the famous dutch improvising theater group "The Lamas" joined us for a play and a picture of us appeared in the local newspaper.

I once participated in an international team multi-sport tournament hosted by my university. It was called MASS. When we got to play soccer we got mooned by the entire opposing team before the game started.

I've worked at a local club called Atak for several years. It was volunteer work, so the pay was no more than symbolic (One consumption coin per hour). One of the advantadges of working there was that I could occasionally host a game evening there.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tino for the kind words!!

I DO have to ask a quick question before I head out again...

Yes, I know I can look this up but it's more fun to ask! What is the word for Werewolf in Dutch?

And of course my favorite question to ask... What sort of traveling have you done and where have you been? Feel free to include some stories!

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
GRATZ! Tino! Just a few inquires, as I'm certain that YOU weren't expecting: "the Spanish Cocker Spaniel"

1. Do you play "pocket pool"?

2. Are you a "mineralist"?

3. Have you ever "lifed" anyone?

4. Do you remember about that 'thang' this week?

5. Are you a "unicyclist"? or "hoola-hooper"?

6. What flavour do the others players prefer?

7. How young is 'moi'?

8. Why don't "rocks" float?

Alright, go about your "businesses", anything to view HERE!

'thugs'
surprise
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The amazing & fabulous
Australia
Sarina
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Tino - Wear your Geekbadge with pride!

Okay, here come my very silly questions:

1 - In Australia, we get some Dutch food in the Supermarket. I like this stuff called Apple Stroep (I am not sure if I spelt it right.) Do you also like it? (Yum yum yum!)

2 - What is your favourite colour to wear. (Mine is blue)

3 - WHat music do you listen to? Did you ever like that European group called Dizzy Mizz Lizzy?

4 - Do you have a special meal that you cook for friends and girlfriends?

That's all! Have a great week!

xxx
Shebby
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shebby wrote:
Congratulations Tino - Wear your Geekbadge with pride!

Okay, here come my very silly questions:

1 - In Australia, we get some Dutch food in the Supermarket. I like this stuff called Apple Stroep (I am not sure if I spelt it right.) Do you also like it? (Yum yum yum!)


Oooh yeah. I was really disappointed that Schokopasta was chocolate spread and not chocolate pasta

Happy Geek of the Week, Tino!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Smitskamp
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
xandryyte wrote:
Thanks Tino for the kind words!!

I DO have to ask a quick question before I head out again...

Yes, I know I can look this up but it's more fun to ask! What is the word for Werewolf in Dutch?


You're welcome Xand!

The dutch word for werewolf is "weerwolf". While this may look like we stole yet another word from the english language, I think that's just coincidence. Weerwolf would literally translate to weatherwolf, which makes sense for a wolf that changes under the influence of the moon.

xandryyte wrote:

And of course my favorite question to ask... What sort of traveling have you done and where have you been? Feel free to include some stories!


Now that one I did see coming

Well, I'm not much of a traveller I'm afraid.
My parents like to travel, and I've visited several European countries when I was a kid, but that's long ago. I can't tell you much about that.

I can tell you about two travels though.

Several years ago my parents took me and my sister on vacation to Turkey. We participated in a cultural tour across the country.
Turkey has a rich history and lots of remnants and artifacts that remind of that history. Unfortunately (our guide explained to us) the Turkish people did not see the cultural and tourist value of these remnants a until a few decades ago, so some are in very poor shape and others have been looted to pieces for building materials. (I've seen a small beach bar that was crudely put together with remnants of Roman architecture.) One of the places we visited was a big mountain with holes carved in. People used to live there long ago. Unfortunately the mountain was slowly falling to pieces, so weren't allowed inside.
Among the other places of interest where a Roman colosseum, a Muslim fort and a hidden Christian shrine.

A few years ago I went with my father to Egypt. That was again a cultural vacation, but a bit more relaxed, with more time to ourselves. That might explain why several of the other people on the tour where close to my age instead of the mostly elderly on the trip to Turkey.
We took a cruise on the Nile and visited several pyramids and architectorial marvels. I have to say the Valley of Kings was a bit of a disappointment. Many of the burial tombs where in the process of restauration. The few I entered looked damp and weathered away from the inside. The temple of Abu Simbel was marvellous though. Now that's a place worth visiting.
7 
 Thumb up
2.50
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Smitskamp
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
nextinline wrote:
Hiya Tino! Congrats on GotW!


Thanks Janice!

nextinline wrote:

I have a few questions:


1. Do you play table tennis?

2. Are you a vegetarian?

3. Have you ever killed anyone?

4. Were you planning to do that thing that you forgot to do last month?

5. Do you own a bicycle or a scooter?

6. What color token do you usually grab first?

7. How old are you?

8. When did you first figure out that Terri was sneaky? Cuz I figured that out a long time ago. I'm not bragging about it - I'm just sayin'.


Ahhh, the question lists!
Okay, here we go:

1. I have occasionally played table tennis, but never very seriously. And the last time was long ago. I don't particularly like table tennis.

2: No. I don't need meat in every meal, but I like the taste way too much to become vegetarian.

3: Does killing someone inside a game of werewolf count?

4: Yes, I was, until I forgot what that thing was I forgot to do last month

5: I own a bycicle.

6: Red or black, unfortunately I'm usually to late. Those are hotly contested colors. So I usually settle for any color that's different enough from the others.

7: Damnit! I actually had to think about that one! I'm 30.

8: Well, there was this game of werewolf where I was trying real hard to get people to talk more. When I finally got to Xand, she had dug herself in behind excuses about bad internet access, so she could ignore my probing questions. Very sneaky.

nextinline wrote:

Okay thanks! That's it for now. meeple

Hugs,
Janice


Thanks for the questions Janice
Hugs,
Tino
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Smitskamp
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
shebby wrote:
Congratulations Tino - Wear your Geekbadge with pride!

Okay, here come my very silly questions:

1 - In Australia, we get some Dutch food in the Supermarket. I like this stuff called Apple Stroep (I am not sure if I spelt it right.) Do you also like it? (Yum yum yum!)

2 - What is your favourite colour to wear. (Mine is blue)

3 - WHat music do you listen to? Did you ever like that European group called Dizzy Mizz Lizzy?

4 - Do you have a special meal that you cook for friends and girlfriends?

That's all! Have a great week!

xxx
Shebby


Thanks Shebby!

1: Appelstroop. I like it on pancakes, but rarely eat it without them.

2: Black

3: Mostly Jazz and Gothic. I like Paolo Conte. Ever heard of him?
I've never even heard of Dizzy Mizz Lizzy.

4: Well, I like variation and trying out new dishes, but when I don't have time to search for recipies I usually make a risotto.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Smitskamp
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
melissa wrote:
shebby wrote:
Congratulations Tino - Wear your Geekbadge with pride!

Okay, here come my very silly questions:

1 - In Australia, we get some Dutch food in the Supermarket. I like this stuff called Apple Stroep (I am not sure if I spelt it right.) Do you also like it? (Yum yum yum!)


Oooh yeah. I was really disappointed that Schokopasta was chocolate spread and not chocolate pasta

Happy Geek of the Week, Tino!


Yeah, dutch product names don't always make much sense.
We call peanut butter "pindakaas" (peanutcheese)

Thanks Melissa!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Greene
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Tino!

Some questions:

1. What are you impressions of Holland?

2. How do you like Enschede?

3. What is your favorite European country, and why? (It doesn't have to be one that you have visited, it could be one that you just admire.)

Have a wonderful week!!

- David
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Smitskamp
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
GRATZ! Tino! Just a few inquires, as I'm certain that YOU weren't expecting: "the Spanish Cocker Spaniel"

1. Do you play "pocket pool"?

2. Are you a "mineralist"?

3. Have you ever "lifed" anyone?

4. Do you remember about that 'thang' this week?

5. Are you a "unicyclist"? or "hoola-hooper"?

6. What flavour do the others players prefer?

7. How young is 'moi'?

8. Why don't "rocks" float?

Alright, go about your "businesses", anything to view HERE!

'thugs'
surprise


Thanks Grog! It seems I skipped your post when I started answering questions. I've seen Nextinline's question list, so I know what you mean with these questions, but I think the real question is what do you "mean"?
I'll try my best!

1: No. I try, but I keep failing to get the pool in my pockets.

2: Only if you’re talking about chocolate rocks here

3: Yes, I remember playing and winning the The Game of Life when I was young

4: I’ve never seen that "Thang" before

5: I’m a uni-hooper. I think “hooping” is best done in private

6: I know that one of them likes anything sweet. One of the others likes wood. She's a bit fiery.

7: Ahh, the famous asian actress Moi Ling. I don’t know. I’ve never heard of her.

8: Because water likes rocks and doesn't want to give them back. Water is a kleptomaniac.

And no, I wasn't expecting that!
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Smitskamp
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
David Greene wrote:
Congratulations, Tino!

Some questions:

1. What are you impressions of Holland?

2. How do you like Enschede?

3. What is your favorite European country, and why? (It doesn't have to be one that you have visited, it could be one that you just admire.)

Have a wonderful week!!

- David


Thanks David!

I just tipped you for your Grognads supporting geekbadge. I think there should be a subcategory of geekquestions: Grogquestions. Those are fun

I see I'm getting to the hard questions here.

1: Pffff... The impressions of the country I've lived all my life in...
Well, it's flat, some parts are overcrowded and most of our politicians are asses or idiots. We make good cheese and beer, and are good at managing water. Does that answer your question, or where you looking for something more specific?

2: Enschede isn't bad, although I don't know if I want to live here the rest of my life. Enschede is one of the few big cities in the less populated east of the country, which means we have the advantadges of the big city (malls, clubs etc.) without the disadvantadges (everyone crowded together, paying ridiculous rents for a home). Sometimes I think it's a little too small though. There is not much industry in the east and getting higher education jobs seems harder than in the west. On top of that over 90% of the clubs seem to be more of the same for some reason. I think we're missing out a bit on culture.

3: Again a hard one. Favorite in what way? To visit? To live?
I'll go for admire.

That would probably be Germany. They've been the strongest economic engine in the european union for quite some time, and are one of the few big countries that seems to send politicians to the european union who have a long term interest in europe instead of a short term interest in their own country.
4 
 Thumb up
2.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Play Games - Interact - Have Fun!
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Tino!

I don't know much about you, but I have seen your avatar here and there and this is a great way to learn about people! You are in for a fun week (and a lot of typing!), but just enjoy yourself, say what's on your mind and you'll do great.

I've collected a bunch of questions that I've asked various Geeks of the Week over the past couple of years and compiled them into one mega list. Feel free to answer any or all of them at your discretion. Skip those that you don't want to answer too! With all that being said...HEEEEERE THEY AREEE!

In no particular order...

1. Name one game that you would want to have while stranded for a year on a desert island. (Assume that either the Skipper, Gilligan or Mr Howell is there with you as well).

2. Same question, but now the Professor is the only one stranded there with you.

3. Tell us about one game that you played that was amazing as far as the outcome. It could be some brilliant long term strategy that you had that worked (or didnt for that matter), It could be some phenominal string of luck that decided the game or something else that just made this one particular session stand out for all eternity.

4. What is your favorite game mechanic (or mechanism if you prefer) and why?

5. What color piece(s) do you prefer to play and why?

6. What is your favorite feature of BGG?

7. What one feature is missing or needs to be changed?

8. You have a whole day of gaming with some good gamer friends, a perfect place to play and no interuptions. Give us your gaming itinerary starting at 9am (or whatever time you prefer to start) and ending when you've had your fill. List the games and start times and why you picked it.

9. Give us 5 games you would love to play but don't have access to (these can be out of print if necessary).

10. What new game(s) coming out are you most looking forward to buying in the coming months?

11. What is your favorite type of game? (i.e. Auction, negotiation ect...)

12. Any plans to attend BGG.Con this year?

13. Give me your top 5 games of all time.

14. Are you into miniatures games at all? (even if you don't own any) If, so tell us which ones and why you like it.

15. Your house is on fire and you only have time to save 3 games. Assuming all family, pets and the photo albums are already safe, What games do you grab?

16. Who are the BGG'rs that you game with in real life?

17. Give us up to 5 of your favorite Geeklists and why you like them.

18. Give us a link to your favorite session report and why you like it.

19. What's your hottest game right now?

20. What game is on you playlist for your next game session and why?

21. Who's the sexiest woman/man on the planet?

22. What is the CD that is currently in your car/stereo?

23. What was the last DVD you watched?

24. What was the last movie you saw in a theater?

25. What's your favorite player aid for a game (besides your own!!) that's been uploaded on the Geek?

26. What are the 3 best Geeklists YOU have made and why do you think so?

27. Give us links of up to 5 of your favorite pictures here on the Geek.

Congratulations again!

Scott
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Greene
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Thijs! Your answers were great. Great to meet you.

Glad you like my Grognads badge. And I tipped you back.

Have a fun week as GotW!!

Tino wrote:
Thanks David!

I just tipped you for your Grognads supporting geekbadge. I think there should be a subcategory of geekquestions: Grogquestions. Those are fun

I see I'm getting to the hard questions here.

1: Pffff... The impressions of the country I've lived all my life in...
Well, it's flat, some parts are overcrowded and most of our politicians are asses or idiots. We make good cheese and beer, and are good at managing water. Does that answer your question, or where you looking for something more specific?

2: Enschede isn't bad, although I don't know if I want to live here the rest of my life. Enschede is one of the few big cities in the less populated east of the country, which means we have the advantadges of the big city (malls, clubs etc.) without the disadvantadges (everyone crowded together, paying ridiculous rents for a home). Sometimes I think it's a little too small though. There is not much industry in the east and getting higher education jobs seems harder than in the west. On top of that over 90% of the clubs seem to be more of the same for some reason. I think we're missing out a bit on culture.

3: Again a hard one. Favorite in what way? To visit? To live?
I'll go for admire.

That would probably be Germany. They've been the strongest economic engine in the european union for quite some time, and are one of the few big countries that seems to send politicians to the european union who have a long term interest in europe instead of a short term interest in their own country.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoskins
United States
OKC
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on GotW Tino!

Werewolf is an awesome game.

What CD is in your CD player right now?

What is your favorite movie?

Villager or Werewolf?

Is that Vampire Hunter D in your Avatar?

Cheers!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hoppe
Denmark
Frederiksberg
flag msg tools
What are you, like 80?
badge
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tino, congrats on being named Geek of the Week!

Tino wrote:
The dutch word for werewolf is "weerwolf". While this may look like we stole yet another word from the english language, I think that's just coincidence. Weerwolf would literally translate to weatherwolf, which makes sense for a wolf that changes under the influence of the moon.


Actually, I'd be very surprised if the etymoloy of the word in Dutch isn't the same as the English word (and the Danish, for that matter), where "Were" = "Man". According to Wikipedia, it's found in many, if not most, Indo-European languages.

Here are a couple of questions:

1. Who is your favorite game designer?
2. Theme or mechanics - which is most important?
3. How important is component quality in a game?
4. More specifically, how important is the quality of artwork in a game?
5. What do you prefer, cardboard chits, wooden cubes or plastic figures?
6. Have you ever played a historical wargame?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PaulW
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grats Tino!!!

Also, I re-offer my apologies for night killing you on D1 of your first game here. You were putting too much time into the rule set and, as a newbie, no one was likely to believe you were a wolf. So you because my midnight snack. devil

Grats again and enjoy!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on GOTW Tino!

I read with interest that your family played Bridge. I have been trying, rather unsuccessfully to figure out Bridge for quite awhile. I just don't play enough to ever figure out the whole answering the bid thing. Any advice? Do you still play?

Cheers,
Van
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Smitskamp
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:
Congratulations Tino!

I don't know much about you, but I have seen your avatar here and there and this is a great way to learn about people! You are in for a fun week (and a lot of typing!), but just enjoy yourself, say what's on your mind and you'll do great.

I've collected a bunch of questions that I've asked various Geeks of the Week over the past couple of years and compiled them into one mega list. Feel free to answer any or all of them at your discretion. Skip those that you don't want to answer too! With all that being said...HEEEEERE THEY AREEE!

In no particular order...


Holy Shit Scott! That's quite a bunch of questions!

Well, I do like the attention, so I'm going to try to get them all.
I'm just not going to fit them all in the same post.
I'm not very familiar with you either, but I remember seeing some pretty impressive pictures of miniatures on a blue background. Keep up the good work!

manowarplayer wrote:

1. Name one game that you would want to have while stranded for a year on a desert island. (Assume that either the Skipper, Gilligan or Mr Howell is there with you as well).

2. Same question, but now the Professor is the only one stranded there with you.


Well, I've never seen Gilligan's Island so I'm going to interpret this as "what game would you want while stranded for a year on a desert island with a single non gamer."

And that's a hard question.
I usually prefer games for more than two players. My favorite two player game is Mr. Jack, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to play that a year long. I'll go for BattleLore. A year would be long enough to get someone who is bored to tears to be good at that game.

manowarplayer wrote:

3. Tell us about one game that you played that was amazing as far as the outcome. It could be some brilliant long term strategy that you had that worked (or didnt for that matter), It could be some phenominal string of luck that decided the game or something else that just made this one particular session stand out for all eternity.


I remember a game of Axis & Allies where I played Germany. I was losing badly and down to three areas (Germany, Southern Europe and Eastern Europe). The last two turns I had been building a ton of infantry and hauled myself up in my capital to delay the inevitable, with a ton of russian infantry at my doorstep. Meanwhile the English factory in Japan was doing a great job of holding back the Japanese, who wheren't even close to Russia. The only reason I wasn't giving up was to give them their moment.

Then Russia attacked my capital and lost badly. The next few turns he spent running away from my armies. I got back every piece of land I lost to Russia and we won the game after that.

manowarplayer wrote:

4. What is your favorite game mechanic (or mechanism if you prefer) and why?

I usually don't think about my games in terms of the mechanics as defined on this site. In fact I had to look them up to answer this question.
My favorite would be variable player powers. I noticed that several of my favorite games have this mechanic.
It discourages players from simply copying the moves and strategies of the player they believe to be the best/smartest/most dangerous and encourages them to seek their own strategies. And it keeps games interesting if you can play "the other side"

manowarplayer wrote:

5. What color piece(s) do you prefer to play and why?

I answered this earlier.
Red or black, but I don't have a strong preference. Any color that's easy to distinguish from the other colors and the board will do for me.

manowarplayer wrote:

6. What is your favorite feature of BGG?

Hmmm... That's a tough question...
I'll pick the thumbs.

Great to voice agreement without cluttering a discussion when I've got nothing else to add.
When browsing the geeklists on the front page I can easely pick out the lists I really need to see by looking at the number of thumbs.
And, of course, thumbs are a great way to show appreciation for someone else's contribution.


I'll be back later to answer more questions.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Webster
United States
Littleton
CO
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, youth!

I, too, went through a phase with bridge, when I was in graduate school. Two of my best friends became partners (in bridge only) and obtained a bunch of Master points. We'd play these social games, and they'd simply kick my (and my partner's) butts. A lesson in humility, I'm afraid. As a very competitive gamer and former athlete wanna-be, I struggle with losing. Fortunately, my game addiction teaches me humility quite regularly.

My intro eurogame was not Settlers, but Torres, which I still rate highly.

I'm hoping #1 is NOT the lie, as acting, especially improvisation, is a lot of fun. I'll guess #2, because it's the shortest explanation.

One question, not directly about games, but about your bio: you're 30 now and studying for examinations to get out of university? I got my doctorate at 30, and I thought I got a late start!!

Again, congratulations, Tino.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Mendenhall
United States
Mt Pleasant,
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
[vote Tino]

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Smitskamp
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:

7. What one feature is missing or needs to be changed?

Customization of the front page - subforums.

As it stands I can customize my frontpage with the forums I want to see, but there is only a very limited choice. I can't choose any subforums.
I'm a member of two guilds and one gamegroup. These forums are not very active. If I had all three of them on my frontpage I could see in a second if one of them had a new thread.

manowarplayer wrote:

8. You have a whole day of gaming with some good gamer friends, a perfect place to play and no interuptions. Give us your gaming itinerary starting at 9am (or whatever time you prefer to start) and ending when you've had your fill. List the games and start times and why you picked it.


We'd start around noon. First we'll play Britannia I've recently played that for the first time, and I'm anxious to play it again. That will probably take us four hours. Then we'll play Betrayal at House on the Hill twice. One of my favorite games. Works very well as lighter game after a heavy themed game. After that it will be around 6:30-7:00 PM. Time for dinner. We'll finish with a few games of a light filler. Probably Frank's Zoo

manowarplayer wrote:

9. Give us 5 games you would love to play but don't have access to (these can be out of print if necessary).


Shadows over Camelot
Tannhäuser
War on Terror
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
Illuminati: Deluxe Edition

manowarplayer wrote:

10. What new game(s) coming out are you most looking forward to buying in the coming months?


Currently none. I still have several games that I haven't played enough

manowarplayer wrote:

11. What is your favorite type of game? (i.e. Auction, negotiation ect...)


Well themed with enough player interaction.

manowarplayer wrote:

12. Any plans to attend BGG.Con this year?


No.

manowarplayer wrote:

13. Give me your top 5 games of all time.


Betrayal at House on the Hill
Descent: Journeys in the Dark
BANG!
The Werewolves of Miller's Hollow
Mr. Jack

manowarplayer wrote:

14. Are you into miniatures games at all? (even if you don't own any) If, so tell us which ones and why you like it.


I'll never get into miniature games because of the huge costs associated with them and the time investment needed to play the game well. That doesn't mean I don't like them. I have once (long ago) played warhammer 40K with three friends of mine (I borrowed an army). I loved the theme associated with warhammer 40k. (the humans as "good guys" are religious fanatics led by a dictator)

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Smitskamp
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
manowarplayer wrote:

15. Your house is on fire and you only have time to save 3 games. Assuming all family, pets and the photo albums are already safe, What games do you grab?


Betrayal at House on the Hill
Descent: Journeys in the Dark
BattleLore

manowarplayer wrote:

16. Who are the BGG'rs that you game with in real life?


Rob Scheepmaker (pinda)
Stefan Leidorf (Leidorf)
Theo Miltenburg (Dark Slayer)

I hope I didn't forget anyone

manowarplayer wrote:

17. Give us up to 5 of your favorite Geeklists and why you like them.


A Meeple's Tale: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/21042/page/1
Hilarious story about meeples.
Softboard games: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/8323
Incredible list of free computer adaptions of boardgames and cardgames with a computer AI. A great resource to try games before you buy them.

manowarplayer wrote:

18. Give us a link to your favorite session report and why you like it.


Hmmmm... I haven't read many session reports that really got my attention... Nope, I don't have a favorite I'm afraid.

manowarplayer wrote:

19. What's your hottest game right now?


I think that would be Battlelore. I really need to play that again.

manowarplayer wrote:

20. What game is on you playlist for your next game session and why?


One of my friends owns Arkham Horror. That's certainly going to be on my playlist for my next gaming session with her. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds great.

manowarplayer wrote:

21. Who's the sexiest woman/man on the planet?


I don't have a clue. I guess I don't watch enough tv/movies for that (and my interest in celebrities is very low)

manowarplayer wrote:

22. What is the CD that is currently in your car/stereo?


The best of Paolo Conte. I like his relaxed, jazzy music.

manowarplayer wrote:

23. What was the last DVD you watched?


Terry Pratchett's Hogfather.

manowarplayer wrote:

24. What was the last movie you saw in a theater?


The Golden Compass.

manowarplayer wrote:

25. What's your favorite player aid for a game (besides your own!!) that's been uploaded on the Geek?


I've hardly used player aids, but I think I'll print out Mr. Skeletors Arkham Horror flowchart when I'm going to try that game out
(http://www.boardgamegeek.com/file/info/23313)

manowarplayer wrote:

26. What are the 3 best Geeklists YOU have made and why do you think so?


I have not yet made a single geeklist.

manowarplayer wrote:

27. Give us links of up to 5 of your favorite pictures here on the Geek.


Hmmm... I'm using pictures mainly in addition to reviews when researching a game. When I've seen the pictures I tend to forget about them. Sorry, I don't have favorites.

manowarplayer wrote:

Congratulations again!

Scott


Thanks again Scott!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ann De Haes
Netherlands
Doorwerth
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tino

Congrats with your current status as geek of the week. Enjoy it.

Take care...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thijs Smitskamp
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijssel
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
matthewjhoskins wrote:
Congrats on GotW Tino!


Thanks Matt!

matthewjhoskins wrote:

Werewolf is an awesome game.

Absolutely

matthewjhoskins wrote:

What CD is in your CD player right now?

Still Paolo Conte. I'm at my parents now, so I haven't had the time to change the contents of my cd player.

matthewjhoskins wrote:

What is your favorite movie?

Hmmm... Difficult question. I'll pick Dogma.

matthewjhoskins wrote:

Villager or Werewolf?

Both are fun. But I'll pick werewolf.

matthewjhoskins wrote:

Is that Vampire Hunter D in your Avatar?

No, it's Alucard from the Hellsing series. But I like Vampire Hunter D as well

matthewjhoskins wrote:

Cheers!


Cheers!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.