Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
quality not quantity
mbmbmbmbmb
I've looked at other people's solutions to the movement problem, but I don't care for them. Allowing the possibility of moving more than 6 spaces, such as 3 + 1 per life token (so max 8) really makes a really cool card, such as "The Keys are Still In It" rather humdrum. Moving more than 6 spaces is out.

This is my house rule to fix movement:

Roll a number of dice equal to the total amount of life tokens you have (so, between 1 and 5). Take the highest roll as your movement.

Rolling lots of 1s or 2s really slows the game down, but if you have a lot of life, you can decrease the likelihood of letting bad rolls slow you down, and maybe, if you already have 3 life tokens, it might be worth your while to enter that building just to have a chance for 2 more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea! Simple and lowers the bad luck syndrome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias DeSoto
United States
Daytona Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a great idea, I played this with my son last weekend for the first time, and it was a neat game that we had a good time playing, but the movement did drag a little, too many 1's and 2's.

I am going to try your suggestion on this the next time we play, thanks!

Derek...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good idea, really. I've used the 2+life recently, and it's perfectly OK, as you don't have 5 lives that very often or that very long. However, it's really dragging along when you only have 1 life. With your system there's still a chance for a 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny Castro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if any one has suggested this yet but here are a couple of my hose rules that makes the game more exciting

Movement:
Player movement

3 4sided die instead a single 6 sided die. This allows the player to move at least 3 spaces (one tile) or at most 12 spaces (3 tiles). Though at the beginning this might seem like over kill the game is balanced by the 6 sided combat dice, more movement is not a guarantee of surviving.

Zombie movement

Again 3 4 sided die. This one is simple sometimes there are so many zombies on the board in different spots that they never even get moved. You can now move 12 Zombies 1 space each at the maximum. This provides entire parts of the board shifting out of safety in a single round in a 4 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
An alternate would be to continue to roll one die but your movement can never be below the number of life tokens you have. If you have three life tokens, even if you roll a '1' or a '2', you still move the minimum of three.

[FYI: That's not my original thought - I saw that somewhere and just regurgitated it here.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
quality not quantity
mbmbmbmbmb
gohladucan wrote:

Movement:
Player movement

3 4sided die instead a single 6 sided die. This allows the player to move at least 3 spaces (one tile) or at most 12 spaces (3 tiles). Though at the beginning this might seem like over kill the game is balanced by the 6 sided combat dice, more movement is not a guarantee of surviving.

So do you also increase the value of "The keys are still in it"?
Do you bother limiting this card to one per deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manny Castro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card is left in an attempt to the game a quicker pace. The biggest complaint I had with my groups was the rolling low on a single d6 for movement. 10 spaces is still more then the avg roll of 6 or 7 with 3 4 sided die. We started playing the game with sessions lasting from 2 hours to our longest 5 1/2 hours.

We customize the deck for most games, depending on how many players and how familiar they are with the game. Most often for quicker games we actually leave the location cards in their location. Something for the fire house is always at the fire house for the first person there, it gives incentive to go into the building even if you aren't at full strength. But we don't always use every location nor every location card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls