United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Cardboard and Wine Podcast
badge
Cardboard and Wine Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to place a game order soon , and along with picking up some new expansions (Abbey and Mayor, TtR: Switzerland), I'd like to get a new "big" game. I have narrowed down my decision to Power Grid and Tigris & Euphrates.

I have really enjoyed Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Settlers, and Puerto Rico. I would like something with a similar weight to Puerto Rico. Having the option to play with 2 players would be nice, but I wouldn't say my decision is entirely based on this.

If you've played both, which would you recommend as a next purchase?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both really great games. Both a little heavier than Puerto Rico.

Either one I think you'll have more fun playing with more players than 2, but I recently played a game of Power Grid 2 player, and it was pretty fun. It is extremely fun to build your network and feel your power grow, and I love the components.

Tigris and Euphrates is a little heavier than Power Grid, I would say. Also a little more abstract. I'm currently in love with Tigris and Euphrates, but I don't think I would be able to play it with my Ticket to Ride/Carcassonne/Settlers group. I save it for my gamer buddies.

I like Tigris slightly better, but from your brief description, I'd so go with Power Grid, and move up from there. That's the way I learned them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Tigris and Euphrates. There is a 2 player Nile variant posted here on the Geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Ritter
United States
Westfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played each only once (so, take my opinion with a grain of salt). My one play on Power Grid was with 4 players and my one play on T&E was with 2. We played Power Grid with one experienced and 3 non-experience PG players and T&E was just my dad and I working through the rules and the game at the same time. Both were enjoyable, although, I'd have to say Power Grid seems to be the easier of the two in terms of quickly understanding the rules and getting your first game up and running. Other than that I don't think you can go wrong with eiter - the production is nice on each and there appears to be a ton of depth / strategy with each. I'd also have to say that Power Grid is probably more accessible to the average or non-gamer than T&E. (again, just my opinion off of one play of each). Good luck on you decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid is easier to get your head around, but T&E has a little bit more staying power, i.e. replay value, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Played both, really like both. I don't think you can go wrong with either. Both games, ironically, I avoided for so long as I didn't think they would suit me. But constantly browsing over them made me want to give them a try. I am sorry I waited so long to get either.

I personally prefer Power Grid over T&E. Both were OK as 2-player games though I wouldn't get either if that is the way you will be able to play it. PG goes up to 6-players while T&E only goes to 4 if that makes a difference.

My suggestion is get PG next and T&E second. As Alan mentioned, PG is a little easier to wrap your head around and so would probably be a better transition from Puerto Rico. T&E plays at a higher level. But both should go in your collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends almost entirely on who is in your group and what they will play. I would vote for T/E because I've played PG twice and I'm still trying to figure it out. The rules of T/E aren't that hard but mastering it will take a long time, imo. And I also suggest you look at the two player Nile map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them both a lot. I think T&E is better 2-player, but it's still far from my favorite 2p game.

If you want something for Puerto Rico fans (which it sounds like may be the case), go PG. In PG, you manage money and other resources to try to win.

If you want to try something complete different from Puerto Rico, then go with T&E. T&E is a game of conflict, very unique in a lot of ways, but still there is constant threats of opponents attacking your position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid. Definitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on what you said, Power Grid.

It is easier to explain, easier to understand what other players are doing, faster to play, and it plays 2 - 6 players.

Yes I have played both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manos Velivassakis
Greece
Athens
Attiki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider both Power Grid and T&E overrated / overestimated games, but between them I choose Power Grid. T&E is actually abstract, not even euro.

IMHO drop both of them down and go for Hamburgum! The rodel mechanism is really fascinating, the game plays well with 2 to 5 players, the components are great and in general it brings fresh air in euro games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MSV Burns
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I haven't seen mentioned about T&E is the amount of direct conflict in it. Some people enjoy this, but there are many who do not.

Yes, T&E is pretty abstract, but you have to muck with people, brutally and directly. If folks you game with are turned off/emotionally devastated by direct conflict, then I would say this is not for you.

If on the other hand you enjoy ruining someone else's kingdom, well then... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are fantastic games & I'm happy to own both, though I think you need at least 3 to make both more fun. 2-player games of either are ok, but not as good as with more players.

My preferred favourite out of the two would be Tigris & Euphrates, but as others have said it's a bit abstract & perhaps harder to master. So perhaps Power Grid would be better for you to start off with.

Matt...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'd say both are certainly worth getting. Try Power Grid first if you must choose between the two as it has a larger range of 2-6 players... but do try both if you can. They are very different games so choosing between them is a bit of a coin toss as either may be a hit or flop with your group and you won't know which until you try of course.

PG is more "mathy" and what I would describe as somewhat procedural (some might say a bit clunky until you play through the first game and the game starts clicking with your group)... but once you grok the game play and a bit of the tactics and strategies in the game, it opens up and becomes a lot of fun. A two sided game board comes with the game and there are several expansion boards as well so if you are looking for variety and replay value... PG might just trump T&E.

T&E has the reputation for being a bit confusing to some when it comes to external/internal conflicts... here's the secret though... it's a relatively simple game at heart and certainly no more complicated than Puerto Rico/Caylus etc. I like the "balanced VP" aspect of the game where you need to concentrate on a balanced approach and not just on your strongest positions.

Neither PG or T&E are particularly difficult to learn and if you do a practice game to learn the rules you can explain the slightly complicated bits in the games more easily.

I personally like both and certainly think both are top Eurogames but if someone said I absolutely had to get rid of one and keep the other I would very grudgingly let go of E&T first... maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definately Powergrid

I have played both and I loved Power Grid but I disliked E&T.

I liked Power Grid becuase of the theme, the integrated systems of building, auction and economics.
My biggest gripes with E&T for me were the tile drawing mechanism and the lacking player interaction. T&E leaves me with a feel I have been playing a tile laying game with a random element. Too abstract for my tastes.

Powergrid plays okay with 3, and very well with 4 and upwards. I found

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Fletcher
United Kingdom
Heathfield
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will add my vote to the Power Grid side of this discussion. Having played both a number of times.

E&T does have less 'feel' to it. Less theme and flavour. When I first played it i was underwhelmed - even though I 'got it.'

PG has much more of an experience associated with it, nice aution bit, interesting positional play, options to conflict with others, or stay on good terms. Great supply and demand mechanism.

Personally I dont play A&E any more, whilst i am always up for a game of Power Grid.

Hope you make the right choice!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Zikeš
Czech Republic
Kremze
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 80 Power grid games I only want to tell you, that PG is little boring in 2 players, 3 player game is good and the real geniality of PG you will see in the 4 and up player games.
So I recommend you to buy ET when you want to play often 2 player games It offers much more fun in 2pl. and also you will need to more use your brain than at 2 player PG game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and like both very much. Both have fairly simple rules as far as learning the mechanics of play but I would consider T&E to be a deeper game. Power Grid has a few fiddly rules that come into play at various stages of the game but I wouldn't say either was difficult to learn. Both can be difficult to master however and T&E will definitely give you more of a mental workout. For that reason Power Grid is easier to get to the table and if you're trying to attract new player it is also less abstract and more pleasing to the eye. I have not played either of them 2 player so I can't comment on that. Of the two, I guess I personally prefer Power Grid because I get a lot more requests to play it and I usually do better at it.

If you play T&E with skilled players you could really find yourself over matched and that's not much fun. If you will be playing it with other people who are all learning the game together that shouldn't be a problem. You will catch on very quickly to how things work and you will be faced with a variety of play possibilities on every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played T&E, so I'm voting Power Grid. I've played PG a few times on different boards with the expansion plant deck and it plays like a different game with each new board. The expansions are affordable and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both games dozens of times and rate both a 10. Neither are good 2 player games. PG works well from 3 to 6 with 4 and 5 being the best. T&E is really only great with 4, with 3 players there's many games I would choose above it.

So the answer probably comes down to the number of players you regularly have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say in terms of game weight in learning terms it would be power grid. I also have found that power grid (being less obtuse in theme and rules) is enjoyed by a more diverse range of people than Tigris and Euphrates so you'll have a better chance of getting a larger number of players for it.

As for which is better two player, it would be Tigris and Euphrates for me, which has similarities to other abstracts like Go etc. It's not ideal and looking at your post you own the best two player game of tile laying (Carcassonne) and it is very hard for me to recommend either of these above that as a two player game.

That being said, I reckon you should get both! They are great!

If you're worried about the cost, just consider it a saving on the additional postage and packaging!

As you may guess, I am frequently getting into trouble for this sort of logic!

A

P.S. Whichever one you get, I hope you really enjoy it. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Holman
United Kingdom
Harrow
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the other games you mention, I'd suggest Power Grid would the better choice for you, although you may like both.

Both are excellent games. i suspect the rules to T&E are slightly better written and consequently easier to learn, but the PG rules aren't too bad, and once you've learned it by playing the first game then that is not an issue.

PG feels just a tiny bit lighter than Puerto Rico to me. I feel I can be a little less careful with my tactical decisions and do fine; my PG win rate is better than PR.

T&E is a much heavier game than PR, IMHO. Think PR weight and then head off towards chess a ways. T&G is a very confrontational game, much like chess is. Conflict is a fundamental part of the game, and you must beat up on others to do well. It is also a harsh game, I think, though I'm no tactical expert - fall behind and it's very tough to catch up against equally competent opponents. If you like that kind of game then T&G is the one for you, but I'd say you're more likely to prefer PG, as it is much more similar in weight and feel to Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, Settlers, and Puerto Rico.

Good luck and let us know which one you go for and how you like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played someone else's copy of PG once. I bought T&E and played it several times before trading it away.

Things to keep in mind about both games:

PG has more arithmetic (and with larger numbers) than T&E. It also involves auctions (whereas T&E doesn't). The power plant market is not elegant at all (but it's more of a simulation, so some elegance had to be sacrificed). There's a built-in system to help people catch up if they're behind. If you're OK with these factors, then get PG. It's a neat game.

If there is such a thing as an abstract/euro/wargame hybrid, T&E is it. T&E felt more elegant to me than PG. There can be lots of direct conflict, and the game is not very forgiving. The conflict rules were confusing to a lot of the people to whom I introduced the game. It may take time for new players to get their head around leader placement -- having leaders in a kingdom doesn't make the kingdom yours. In T&E, you're somewhat at the mercy of the tile draw; a skilled player will have a better idea what to do with his tiles (including when to use the "discard 'em all" option), but if you get some lucky draws, it can really help.

Edit: T&E was good with 2, 3 or 4 players. I haven't played PG with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.