Commands & Colors: Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Difficult to distinguish units? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Goodman
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
I'm debating whether I should get this game and one thing I've noticed is that there's not alot of difference in the artwork from one unit to the next.

Guy standing with spear. Guy poised to throw spear. Guy on galloping horse. Guy on trotting horse.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/282675

I could really see myself having trouble telling them apart. What you do find? Does this create difficulty playing the game? (I'm really not prepared to spend the $ on the miniatures.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
For the most part, the colored icons break them down into groups that behave pretty similar. Then there are only a few you have to remember. There are 3 green circle foot units. Two of them act exactly the same. The 3rd just has his range reduced by one. The rest of the foot units are unique to their symbol.

Mounted units are also close to being unique by symbol type. Only difference is the Light cavalry vs. Light BOW cavalry which again has a difference of 1 hex in ranged attack. When an icon group has more than one, the art is pretty different: horse vs. chariot vs. camel vs. elephant.

So while it may look overwhelming at first, it really isn't that bad. Just focus on the icon and you'll be ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problems here!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Heinzmann
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people do complain about the icons but the real bear is putting on those stickers. Get some tweezers with very little or as little surface area you can find and do it it stages. Pace yourself. The icons are not that bad. Here is a scenario book that shows the blocks
http://www.gmtgames.com/cca/CC_Bonus_Pack_1.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you get used to the art and the icons, which happens very quickly, you will have no trouble at all. You also know what types of units are in the scenario from the start, and hopefully your memory isn't so bad that you forget where you and your opponent are moving them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could put a label on the top of the block, dymo or something. Maybe even the movement rate and # of attack dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
My minor gripes about the art work, unit differentiation as you are concerned about and the game title emblazoned across the center of the game board,, were voiced before I actually played the game much.

As the other posters have said, differentiating some of the different types of light troops is not a serious issue, especially if you've been involved in the set up. After a play or two it is a complete non-issue. The game title on the map visually "disappears" when playing.

This game is good. It is my only 10 rated game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had trouble with the green units at first. One thing that helps is recognizing that Auxilia have green circles with a white border, while light infantry have just the green circle. Same with warrors vs. medium infantry: the warrior's blue triangles have white borders.

Still, there are times I wish the blocks had a letter code somewhere (e.g., "A", "LI", "HI", "W", etc.).

While the games were designed to play with the blocks standing on end, I find it easier to play with the blocks lying flat. Telling the units apart is easier for me when the blocks are lying flat because they seem better lit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't find them hard to distinguish. As noted by others, just look for the unit's symbol in the upper right corner. The picture you chose as an example is a view much farther from the blocks than you would normally be as a player; the symbols are easy to see when the blocks are right in front of you on the table.

The only place I'd think there could even be an issue is telling bows, slings and light infantry apart, because you do have to rely on the pictures in those cases. But as long as you take a second to note the pictures during set-up, that really shouldn't be a problem either.

I suppose if you had poor eyesight or something there could still be problems. If you did find this to be an issue, you could buy a paint pen and label the top edge of the blocks with the unit abbreviations (as given on the scenario maps).

But I really doubt you'd be worried about this if you had a chance to see the blocks on the board in person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Goodman
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
Thanks for the help guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.