United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya all,

My next game is going to be a 2-player card game about the building of York in North-East England during Roman and Viking times, when it was a capital of both civilisations.

At the moment I'm thinking of 'York, 71AD' as a name, as 71AD is the date the Romans first built a camp on the site.

What do you think? Got any better ideas?

Cheers,

Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Rise and Rise of York"
"From Eboracum to York"
"Jorvik"
"We built this city-York" You could have a whole series of famous cities.
"1000 years of York"
"York in 1000 years"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Mori
Italy
Parma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about

"YORK"

?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Having refered to the game for quite a while as Codename: Jorvik, why not stick with Jorvik - it encapsulates the time & place perfectly.

"York, 71AD" leaves pedants (like me) saying "but it wasn't called York then...".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You'd have to ask a latinist, but I think 'York foundation' with Jorvik and "foundation" translated in Latin may work.

kinda "Fundatio Jorvik"

... maybe too pedantic, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Purring
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like 'Snickelways', which are the narrow footpaths and tiny alleyways that honeycombed mediaeval York as shops and houses crowded the developing city. (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snickelways_of_York)

Oh, and the obligatory Pavement reference: 'Two States'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

What about

"YORK"

?

I was thinking it would be a bit too dull, and would be difficult to find in BGG do to the wealth of 'New York' games.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nnf1 wrote:
"The Rise and Rise of York"
"From Eboracum to York"
"Jorvik"
"We built this city-York" You could have a whole series of famous cities.
"1000 years of York"
"York in 1000 years"

Thanks for the ideas. A lot of these won't fit on the box unfortunately!

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:
Having refered to the game for quite a while as Codename: Jorvik, why not stick with Jorvik - it encapsulates the time & place perfectly.

"York, 71AD" leaves pedants (like me) saying "but it wasn't called York then...".

Hiya Steve,

Jorvik was the Viking name for the city - Eboracum was the Roman name. The problem with Jorvik is that is doesn't encompass the beginning.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArsLoqui wrote:
I like 'Snickelways', which are the narrow footpaths and tiny alleyways that honeycombed mediaeval York as shops and houses crowded the developing city. (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snickelways_of_York)

Oh, and the obligatory Pavement reference: 'Two States'.

While Snickleways is a great word, I've lived here for 3.5 years, and I'd never heard the word! It is tempting though...

Pavement reference?

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CaptainJax wrote:
Jorvik was the Viking name for the city - Eboracum was the Roman name. The problem with Jorvik is that is doesn't encompass the beginning.

Sounds like you want something between the two - how about Eoforwīc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris__M wrote:
CaptainJax wrote:

Sounds like you want something between the two - how about Eoforwīc?

Hiya Chris,

While the Saxons (who named it Eoforwīc) do feature briefly in the game, the Romans & Vikings have more effect, so Eoforwīc is not really appropriate.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Walker-Harding
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jack, great to hear that Jorvik is happening!

What is the gameplay like? If it is quite involved and strategic, I think a more historic sounding name is good. If it is a fluffy filler, maybe something more lighthearted would work, like "Yorkmania!" (no that's just dumb).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Phil81 wrote:

See! See! We're already calling it Jorvik!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your game spans the period from the Roman founding until Viking times, then I think 'York, 71AD' is too narrow a title.

To cover the period of your game, I guess you need a name like 'From Eboracum to Jorvik' or, to fit on the box: 'Eboracum to Yorvik'. A title like this would also, hopefully, get the game stocked at the main historic attractions in York. But amongst those unfamiliar with the historic names would this fall foul of the Agricola pronunciation syndrome?

Also don't forget the Anglo-Saxons were around in York between the Romans and the Vikings - at which time it was called Eoforwic. EDIT: just noticed this was mentioned whilst I was typing this.

Sticking with the historic names then it might be worth looking at the etymology of each for inspiration:

Eboracum (Latinized Celtic): Place of Yew Trees
Eoforwic (Old English): Wild Boar Town (my personal favourite)
Jorvik (Norse): Horse Bay

Alternatively go for the location and in a nod to Tigris and Euphrates call it something like: 'Foss and Ouse', 'Ouse and Foss' or 'Between the Foss and the Ouse'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil81 wrote:

What is the gameplay like? If it is quite involved and strategic, I think a more historic sounding name is good. If it is a fluffy filler, maybe something more lighthearted would work, like "Yorkmania!" (no that's just dumb).

Hiya Phil,

It's probably somewhere in the middle, fairly quick, but not tht fluffy!

Great news about Archaeology the Card Game being cited in Tom Vasel's top ten for 2007 by the way - congrats!

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteveK2 wrote:
Phil81 wrote:

See! See! We're already calling it Jorvik!

Hiya Steve,

Only readers of my blog are calling it Jorvik, which was always intended only as a working title (hence Codename:!). As spotted by several people here, I don't think it covers the whole range of the game.

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just had a thought. York was the capital of the Roman province of Britannia Inferior, and then later capital of the Viking Kingdom of Jorvik.

What do you all think of:

York: Capital of the North

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it makes historic sense (during the Civil War it also was known as the Capital of the North).

How about just 'Capital of the the North', so there's no question about the name?

Or brand it with a number of versions, so it will do well in Roman or Viking museums: 'Eboracum: Capital of the North', 'Jorvik: Capital of the North', etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AB
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Jorvik, who cares if it doesn't encapsulate the whole game, if it captures the mood of the game, go with it....

AB
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first I've heard of the game. I would suggest you try to get to like the name 'Jorvik' as this would give you the best chance of selling the game to tourists. It might not cover the full span of the game in its meaning but 'York: capital of the north' sound like a modern-day advertising campaign for the York of today.

I visited York a few years ago and I suggest you buy a map of the Snickelways, walk along them, get a feeling for them, then invent the game of 'Snickelways' - which would be a different game altogether. I never intend to invent a game but walking along them you know they are crying out for a game to be made. It would span two periods of the city just as your current game does: the routes were formed very early on but when the city developed it was not permitted to build on these older routes - see it even sounds like the rules of a game!

(...or how about 'Yorkie: it's a dog of a chocolate bar!'?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batdog wrote:
Yes, it makes historic sense (during the Civil War it also was known as the Capital of the North).

How about just 'Capital of the the North', so there's no question about the name?

Or brand it with a number of versions, so it will do well in Roman or Viking museums: 'Eboracum: Capital of the North', 'Jorvik: Capital of the North', etc.

One vote for Y: CotN

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc_Adam wrote:
I prefer Jorvik, who cares if it doesn't encapsulate the whole game, if it captures the mood of the game, go with it....

AB

Two votes for Jorvik (that includes you, Steve!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Pope
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fledermaushaus wrote:
This is the first I've heard of the game. I would suggest you try to get to like the name 'Jorvik' as this would give you the best chance of selling the game to tourists. It might not cover the full span of the game in its meaning but 'York: capital of the north' sound like a modern-day advertising campaign for the York of today.

Another vote for Jorvik. The reason you've not heard of the game is up until now I've only been discussing my ongoing design efforts on my blog. This is the first time it has been mentioned here on the Geek, I've not added it to the database yet as I'm still working on the name.

Fledermaushaus wrote:

I visited York a few years ago and I suggest you buy a map of the Snickelways, walk along them, get a feeling for them, then invent the game of 'Snickelways' - which would be a different game altogether. I never intend to invent a game but walking along them you know they are crying out for a game to be made. It would span two periods of the city just as your current game does: the routes were formed very early on but when the city developed it was not permitted to build on these older routes - see it even sounds like the rules of a game!

(...or how about 'Yorkie: it's a dog of a chocolate bar!'?)

I live in York, so while I didn't know the word I know the alleyways

Cheers,

Jack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another who thinks "Jorvik" is best... (yes, I mean myself )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.