15 Posts

Ticket to Ride» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Why Ticket to Ride is the game everyone should own. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bech D
msg tools
mb
I'll just write here why this game is so good that everyone should have it.

1. Theme
The theme is simple yet powerful: a group of five friends meet 28 years after Phileas Fogg went around the world in 80 days and make a bet - the one who succeds in travelling through the moast cities in North America in 7 days wins 1 million dollars.

2. Box Content & Artwork
Everything in the box looks just great and even the artwork on the box itself is better than that of moast games. A big puls here is the spare parts you get (a rare thing those days) - two train cars of each color.
The only minor complaint here is that the train cars are made of plastic and I simply hate plastic parts in a board game - wood is always better.

3. Rules & Learning Curve
This is where the game is really strong. Anyone can learn the game in 15min and can beat you playing their first game. That's why this game is so high in my top. Each time I play or buy a new game I say 'this one is definitely better than Ticket to Ride' but when I look at my score records I see that I played Ticket to Ride ten times more often than any othe game - why? - because you can play it with anyone - even if they're a board game fan or not they'll envoy Ticket to Ride from their first game!

4. Gameplay & Interaction
Another big plus here: the downtime is almost zero, the game is played very fast and no one waits to long. This put together with a game duration of only 35-45min and a setup time of about 2min gaves the game great re-playability. It happened to me very often to play the game 4 or 5 times in a row even with 5 players and no one wanted to quit. (this will nerver work with Puerto Rico or Colosseum or other games because they are longer in duration and have a very long setup time compared with TtR)
Interaction: one of may favorite part of the game. Here you can actualy hurt somebody by blocking their routes.

Closing Comments
If you're a board games fun and you don't have Ticket to Ride go and buy it!
If you never played board games before but you want to start Ticker to Ride is definitely the game to start with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
Brussel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BechD wrote:
3. Rules & Learning Curve
This is where the game is really strong. Anyone can learn the game in 15min and can beat you playing their first game. That's why this game is so high in my top. Each time I play or buy a new game I say 'this one is definitely better than Ticket to Ride' but when I look at my score records I see that I played Ticket to Ride ten times more often than any othe game - why? - because you can play it with anyone - even if they're a board game fan or not they'll envoy Ticket to Ride from their first game!

Hi,

Thanks for your review.

Currently, TtR is not on my 'want' list because of this reason.

Why would I enjoy playing a game at which any first-timer can beat me? This seems to indicate a low level of depth to me, which is a prerequisite for me to really enjoy a game. Either that, or a high luck factor, which I don't like either. I'm funny like that.

This question may come across like a criticism but really isn't intended as such, I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on something or not.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
I agree with you. I would think little of a game where I could beat an experienced player in my first game.

However I don't really think this is the case with TTR. If the experienced player or players have a good plan and they are following it I think it's unlikely a first timer will beat them. There is randomness in the draw but good play will minimise the effect that this has on you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Sunkin
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
CSI: Cool Stuff, In Stock
mbmbmbmbmb
If I may say so, I think you're thinking about the game in the wrong way.

Ticket to Ride is a simple game and a game that has some luck. However, for a game that I have taught my Mom and Sisters to play in about 10 minutes, it also has a good amount of depth and strategy.

If you're wondering is it a gamers game? No, not if you're comparing it to Puerto Rico, Die Macher, Power Grid etc. Is it something you can break out with the non-gamers and casual/party gamers in your life and have a good time? Then it's amazing. It sure beats the hell out of the main stream games.

I like Mr. Jack for the same reasons.

Jerry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Jerry on this one. Yes, a total beginner can win (with some luck - though they would need a huge amount of luck to win on the Days of Wonder on-line play site) but that's not a bad thing if you want to get them into this hobby. My regular group started on TTRE and we are going to be playing Power Grid next time out. There is no way we could have gone straight into Power Grid without having arrived there via TTRE (and Carcassonne, Alhambra etc..).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not every game is chess.

Not every game SHOULD be chess.

Sometimes it's fun to play a game with depth, a game that has been studied, a game you wouldn't expect a first-time player to win.

Other times it's fun to play something silly, something whose rules you can grasp in five seconds, a game anybody might win.

Somewhere in between these two extremes is Ticket to Ride, not always but often an excellent choice to play. The game is easy to learn -- five minutes for the fundamentals -- but difficult to play successfully because of the competition. More importantly, it's FUN to play whether you've just learned the rules or have played the game a dozen or two times already. The tension of trying to get what you need to build your routes, deciding how quickly to act and at what cost, is really delightful.

Of course not EVERY player will enjoy it. But not every player enjoys chess, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John W
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what game some of you have been playing, but TtR is novel because it allows for BOTH friendly, non-gamer play as well as cutthroat competetive play.

When I was playing online at DoW's site, there was no way in hell a 1st time player would come anywhere but last against those guys (and gals).

In my experience reading posts here, TtR is unfairly stereotyped as a kick-back game, when it is the players that dictate how TtR plays.

In other words, it's not TtR's fault that some people find it difficult to beat a 1st-time player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay T Leone
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reapersaurus wrote:
When I was playing online at DoW's site, there was no way in hell a 1st time player would come anywhere but last against those guys (and gals).

Actually my girlfriend first became supportive of my hobby (and semi-addicted) to board games by playing against people on DoW's site. No one taught her how to play as I didn't know how, yet she still won often.

The only experience (besides Life, Operation, Monopoly, etc) she's had before TtR was Betrayal at House on the Hill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
You may say that a first-time player can win.

But I think that, as long as the experienced players are playing like they normally would - being cutthroat and deadly- then the beginner's chance is maybe 5%? I'm just guessing there, but I know that my wife (who plays twice a day), can destroy beginning players - she simply plays nicer when playing beginners to keep things fair (and so that they still want to play the game again!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua O'Connor
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic review. You just sold me on this game in 5 paragraphs. The fact that my wife can pick this up in ten minutes AND might beat me is a dealmaker. She likes games she can play well, and if I want to play at all at home, those are the games I have to choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bech D
msg tools
mb
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for your review.

Currently, TtR is not on my 'want' list because of this reason.

Why would I enjoy playing a game at which any first-timer can beat me? This seems to indicate a low level of depth to me, which is a prerequisite for me to really enjoy a game. Either that, or a high luck factor, which I don't like either. I'm funny like that.

This question may come across like a criticism but really isn't intended as such, I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on something or not.

Thanks!

Let me speak a little about the strategy part of the game. But first of all I must say that the game has preaty high risk / luck factor. If you don't like this maybe this is not a game for you.
To be more specific it inolves the 'destination tickets'. When your turn comes you may draw 3 destination tickets and you MUST keep at least one. On this destination tickets you have the names of two cities you must connect with your train cars. At the end of the game you get points for each completed destination but those you have not completed are subtracted from you score.
Now here comes the big choice: are you going to get a lot of destinations and risk not completing all (but if you do you get a lot of points) or are you going to settle for less (and thus playing a 'safe' game).
As for the 'LUCK' part you may get destinations closer or further from you routes. But this is somewhat diminished by the fact that you may CHOOSE one, two or three destinations at a time.

Now let me give you an example about the strategy of this game:
I've played 50+ games of TtR with more than 10 or 12 different persons and 90% of the games my wife won. Now she is doing SOMETHING to win and I don't think it's just luck so I'll just call it STRATEGY.

I hope this helps you make a decision - but remember you CAN get beaten by a first timer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bech D
msg tools
mb
Oh... I forgot. The is another mode of play that involves almost no luck at all. We call it the 'destructive mode' of play (and even my wife gets beaten if a player uses this mode).
The player who chooses this way to play DOES NOT TAKE DESTINATIONS and only tries to block the routes of the other players and scores only from placing train cars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vögel
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
I've been on this site for 15 years now, and I'm far from sick of games, but I think I prefer a better balance of favorites to new games. I'm also tired of playing 4+ hr multiplayer games, but I'll still happily play really long games 2 player.
mbmbmbmbmb
BechD wrote:
1. Theme
The theme is simple yet powerful: a group of five friends meet 28 years after Phileas Fogg went around the world in 80 days and make a bet - the one who succeds in travelling through the moast cities in North America in 7 days wins 1 million dollars.

Nice review!

Just a side note, not really a nitpick:
Ticket to Ride is a great game, but I don't know a single person who has ever taught or played the game with the official theme.

The theme is simply "trains".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim
United States
hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shaveandahaircut wrote:

Nice review!

Just a side note, not really a nitpick:
Ticket to Ride is a great game, but I don't know a single person who has ever taught or played the game with the official theme.

The theme is simply "trains".
Thats because the theme doesn't really make sense. The backstory to the theme doesn't work. The bet is to visit the most cities in 7 days.

The game doesn't go 7 rounds.

The object isn't to go from one point to another connecting to what you've already built, you can build all over the map. Thats not what a person traveling would do unless you were flying. I wonder what would happen if you had to choose a start city and build your route from there? I think one could get easily blocked and not be able to play.

Where in the bet did it say that 2 people couldn't travel the same route?

Love the game but I've never explained the back story to people that I've taught how to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BechD wrote:
Oh... I forgot. The is another mode of play that involves almost no luck at all. We call it the 'destructive mode' of play (and even my wife gets beaten if a player uses this mode).
The player who chooses this way to play DOES NOT TAKE DESTINATIONS and only tries to block the routes of the other players and scores only from placing train cars.
That's a tough strategy to pull off in TtR:USA, but good luck trying it on Europe! The absence of 6-train routes combined with stations effectively neuters the "play long trains and block routes" strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.